Gunco Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first Park job. I also parked two chinese mags. The mags and the receiver came out a dark grey and the rest of the parts came out black. This is the same gun that I have posted info on before. I just got around to parkerizing it. It tool me a while to gather up materials.

This build is on an ACEARMS .045" thick receiver. I would like to eventially coat with some kind of durable coating to give an even coverage. I like a satin finish on these guns. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all who answered all my questions on parkerizing. I well pleased with the results for my first try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gas upper and lower forearm are standard AKM. The gas tube is from a short tube from a SA85M.

I used a premix solution from Palmetto Ent. in Greenville, SC. I glass beaded all the parts at work and then very carefully placed them in a big plastic storage tote to get them home. Then heated the solution with distilled water, dropped the parts in and turned them every couple of minutes. The hardest parts of the whole process for me was glassbeading and getting the solution hot enough. I spent allot of time glassbeading so the finish will be even.

·
1,763 Posts
I think it turned out really well. Excellent job.

I did a park job without blasting it and I wish I had.

I also had a heck of a time getting the solution hot enough.

Live and learn.​

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hard time getting the solution hot enough?

What kind of containers were you two using? What kind of heat source? I have checked into getting stainless steel takes made locally. No way! Too expensive! I need to find some long stainless steel serving pans used in food prep. I have some 3/4" black iron pipe to make burners. I plan on using Liquid Propaine gas from my outdoor grill. Heck, I even thought of just using the grill to heat the solution!

I thought about getting raw chemicals from a local supply company, but I think that this might be more expensive than premix.

A friend from my second job has access to park tanks and chemestry. He says that he will do a couple of my rifles for cheep! I am torn. I really would like to play, but I am on a shoe string budget!

Anybody here know what I am talking about?

Yours,
Thumb Clip Pull Pin

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I used a SS tank . It measures about 32Lx5Hx7W. I made it from some scap peices we had at work. It is not the prettiest thing but it holds water.

For heat, I used our old gas grill. It has a side burner. So the heat was consentrated in the middle of the tank. I had to continuously stir the solution to keep the water in the tank the same temp.

I understand the shoestring budget. The premix I bought was around $22 per qt. The place is Palmetto Ent. (864) 246-3836. They were very helpful. It was enough to make up almost 3 gallons. I poored it into the distilled water Gallon jugs after I was finished and it cooled down. I will strain it through a coffee filter and reuse it on small jobs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts