Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Chinese Connection
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey:
Just got done build with AMD-63 will like to have nice finishing here few quesitons...
1. I know a lot you use duplicolor from walmart to re-finish AK's, do I need spay the whole gun or just the reciver ??
2. Do I need sandblast after I degrease it with brake parts cleaner?
3. How long to brake till the dinnner... no I mean AK ready? I hear 300 one Hour , 400 one Hour and 500 one Hour.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
I have never used duplicolor, but I would follow their directions.
The baking lacquers from Brownell's require baking, I don't know about duplicolor, I have never seen it mentioned on their label.

The Alumahyde ll also available from Brownell's can be baked or air cured, but air curing takes at least a week, and in my experience, longer.
But it gives a excellent finish.

If you use a product close enough in color to the original finish, you could get away with just doing the receiver.

If you are going to sandblast it, I would do it before you do your final degreasing/cleaning

·
Registered
51 Posts
I refinished a SAR-1 with duplicolor. Turned out rather nice for the 4 dollar can. Just follow the instructions on the can. I think it was around 300 for an hr or two. It says it right on the can. I did 2-3 thin coats to cover the rifle. Then baked. I didn't sandblast, but i did clean it and pre-bake to remove any hidden oil.

·
Chinese Connection
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I spay on any parts of gun ? did I need plug the barrel so doesn't get any inside ???

·
Registered
488 Posts
Bluejack said:
Can I spay on any parts of gun ? did I need plug the barrel so doesn't get any inside ???
Use brake parts cleaner and bake in the oven until the grease leaches out, then clean it again ( I use navel jelly, soap & water then brake parts cleaner). Spray the whole disassembled gun and when dry bake at 300F for two hours. The Duplicolor dries pretty quickly, looks good and is pretty durable. Any overspray in the chamber or barrel will be quickly removed by the first few rounds.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just put some aluminum foil in the barrel and gas port to prevent any paint in these areas. Heres how mine turned out. (With a EG stock painted OD green)

Attachments

·
Chinese Connection
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am ready to do it, but had to wait till I got my amd 65 muzzle extention for TAPCO.
Here is other questions. the Muzzle extention doesn't have finish.

1. Can I finishing muzzle extention use duplicolor with out sand blast
2. Do you guys brake with just every parts ? like dust cover, inside out of reciver ?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Bluejack said:
I am ready to do it, but had to wait till I got my amd 65 muzzle extention for TAPCO.
Here is other questions. the Muzzle extention doesn't have finish.

1. Can I finishing muzzle extention use duplicolor with out sand blast
2. Do you guys brake with just every parts ? like dust cover, inside out of reciver ?
I use the navel jelly to slightly etch the surface, and after a soap & water bath I dry it with the oven and spray it with brake parts cleaner. I paint everything inside & out (I make a holding jig for painting & bakeing).

·
Chinese Connection
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oops

what can you do when you spay just bit too much ???

·
Registered
152 Posts
I always use aluminahyde- 2 good stuff,as far heating a rifle,I dont think I would go over 300f -325f..Romack that looks nice!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bluejack said:
what can you do when you spay just bit too much ???
Spray a bit too much? If you put too thick of coat on the gun, just sand it smooth and do another light coat to cover it up. Its just paint :) .

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
Get a green scotch brite scrubing pad.
You know the ones you use to do the dishes.

Take the ak apart.
You do not want to paint the BOLT.

Once apart, take the scotch brite pad and run it over all the metal the you will be painting. This is to basically remove any high spots or defects, as well has scuff the surface.

Once it is "rubbed" down, then use BRAKE cleaner and spray the whole rifle down. Do not touch it with your bare hands after the spraying.

Let it dry for a few minutes.
Put it in the oven at 300 for 3 minutes.
This will bake out any oil that you could not get to before.

Spray the parts back down with brake cleaner to remove any more oil that may of came out.

Then put back in the oven at 150 and bake for 3 minutes.
Remove from oven and spray.
You kinda want the rifle warm but not too hot. This will have with the light coats.
Remember LIGHT coats, easier to add then remove. Once you get 3 good even light coats put back in the oven at 300 and bake for 1 hour.

Remove it from oven and let it sit overnight.

Reassemble.
:confused:

worked for me

·
Registered
51 Posts
I couldn't wait overnight after I painted mine, I ended up waiting 4-5 hrs and putting it back together. Not a very smart idea since after that I leaned it up against the wall and after a little while it fell over, scuffed up the paint some. I was so pissed at myself. But lucky the scuffs just rubbed away and disappeared so it still looks good. Waiting overnight is the smart thing to do!

·
Chinese Connection
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys, I will becareful with next 3 AK -74 build

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I used duplicolr Low Gloss black, and it matches really close to the Bulgy 74 parts set..

I painted only my receiver, then assembled, no sense refinishing the part since they are new.. Looks ok, but I scratched it up riveting.. I may mask off the parts and repaint just the receiver...If that don't work I'll beadblast and paint...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Which Duplicolor

mike26038 said:
I used duplicolr Low Gloss black, and it matches really close to the Bulgy 74 parts set..

I painted only my receiver, then assembled, no sense refinishing the part since they are new.. Looks ok, but I scratched it up riveting.. I may mask off the parts and repaint just the receiver...If that don't work I'll beadblast and paint...
Which Duplicolor are you using on your guns? I had to go to the automotive parts store to find it. None at Walyworld and none at any hardware stores. The auto store had plenty of choices, but none of them indicated that you needed to bake anything. Just etch your metal and/or use a primer. And they could not give any advice. I picked up the Acrylic Enamel in flat black. This work?

·
Registered
152 Posts
As far as plugging the barrel.I use the little foam ear plugs to keep paint and whatever out of the barrell chamber.Just twist and insert and they fill out themselves.Works great,I dont think I would bake with them though.might melt :scared:

·
Registered
561 Posts
I used the "duplicolor" 500 degree paint, In (semi gloss) black, baked it for about an hour at 300. The finish came out so clean that you could see your face in it.
The only thing is, it is'nt very scratch resistant. You can scratch it (surface) with a finger nail and it marks very easy. Not down to the metal, but suface scratches.
Does the 1200 degree paint also do the same?
By the way I used 500 becouse I really don't plan on firing 1000 rounds at a time through it. Do you guys think this will hold?
Also I know it's in preferance, But would any of you use the high gloss as in differance to flat (matte) black?
Thanks...Shadow

1 - 20 of 21 Posts