Gunco Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know its hard to believe I do not own an AR-15 of any kind. Once you get past that I am looking for some help.

I want to purchase a decent entry level AR-15. I need it to be reliable, fire the 5.56 mm round, and most of all not break the bank.

Let me know if this is even possible.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So none of the experts here have an opinion or are willing to step up to help me out?

Interesting...

·
aka: SDK1968
7,741 Posts
not an expert, just own & build a lot of ar's...........

if you are just gonna buy one & not build it yourself? eh.... its an ar. they are all junk. they are all overpriced. dont expect too much out of it & you wont get disappointed.

off the shelf mid range price stuff: go to any Rural King & get the exact same gun that your local dealer will charge you another $100 for. bushmaster, ati, dpms, charter arms, blackdog, andersons.. all are lower to middle range on cost. look over the fit & finish to make sure whether you are getting grade 2 or 3-4.

grade 1 stuff is much higher priced. Rock River, Sig, colt, daniel defense.

you can spend $400 & get an ar that will shoot that you can fiddle with & be decent or you can spend $4,000 like some of these goofs & still just have an AR that you will have to fiddle with.

Reactions: Tommo

·
Registered
8,688 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have lived 61 years without an AR15, truly like my AK47, but family members have AR15s and i guess I was looking at compatibility of parts and ammunition if the long anticipated SHTF occurs. Or perhaps it will be the Covid-19 Boogaloo that occurs.

·
aka: SDK1968
7,741 Posts
hee hee...

if you own AK's you dont need spare parts. LOL well most of the time you dont.

and if you want to swap mags & ammo with your family? man doing an AK in 556 with the magwell conversion is the stuff. i absolutely love my 556 AK's that run on AR mags.

the guy who does the adapter has a super slick set up. will grab you a pic in a bit. its already posted here somewhere in the mix.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The AR1/M16 action has been around for over 50 years. A contemporary of the AK47 etc.

It is a proven weapon type. There is also a lot of hype on what manufacturer is better. They are kinda like garage door openers and Television guts. A lot of different names but only a fairly small number of manufacturers of the frames/guts.

Palmetto State Armory (PSA) has a lot of options and some DIY semi assembled lowers or uppers.

I have assembled a lot f different types including Colt, Spikes and PSA, Anderson, Pac West, Daniel Defense etc., etc. Several calibers are effective in the AR15 as well.

They all run. But you could get 20 opinions on., "the best".

The barrel, bolt, carrier, fire control group and ammunition (as well as the optic if you chose one) are areas that can improve the groups if you want to spend more money.

For a first buy get a decent example and see how you like it. Always room to upgrade it or sell and move along to another.

Doesn't sound like you are going for competition or bench shooting or high volume shooting in any case. Have fun with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts