Gunco Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
I am going to attempt to build a amd 65. The only thing I have done is make 2 mak 90's compliant. I have managed to get the rivets out of the rear trunion but now I am not sure what to do with the front, Do I have to get the rivets completely out(I do not want to remove the barrel) or just drill deep enough to get in the screws. I have a drill press so should I just set it for say 3/16 and drill them out to that depth?
I am sure this has been answered many times but I have been unable to find the answer

Thanks for any help. This sure looks like it's going to be a hail mary!!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
erikk......

Yes, you drill out the front trunion rivets. But take your time, I file the rivets flat to the trunion, center punch, then drill. Be careful as some have drilled through into the chamber (see pic). I think the distance on mine from the flat of the trunion to popping through the rivet head was .140" - .162" (JUST GO SLOW). If you have correctly drilled into the center of the rivet (upper 4), you can pick out the remains of the rivet head. I used a Dremel with a very small grinding head to cut through the rivet head (you can move it around in the hole) then bent it inward to the rest of the rivet head (PITA). You can then pry it out. The 2 lower rivets are a piece of cake, just drill through and push the rivet out.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I bit the bullet and last night I managed to get the barrel cross pin out& sight pin. drilled some of the way into the rivets and put the barrel in the freezer. This AM heated the trunion a bit and beat on the trunion with a brass hammer. Got it to move about 1/2 inch but no more. Tried to press it with clamps but no go. Back in the freezer!I think a couple of more times & Ill have it. I was going through my bag of parts & found a piece about 1 1/4 by 3/4 with 4 holes drilled in it. Don't have a clue what it is or where it goes. I think it said part 8 on the list. I want to get an ace bend but they are out of rails so maybe I'll get a OOW. Hate to go through FFL though. Any ideas on lower rails?

Thanks for your help-I am going to need a bucket full before this is over!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts