1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted on Thu, Dec. 16, 2004 _krdDartInc++; document.write('');

Pasco County bans Christmas trees from public buildings

[size=-1]Associated Press[/size]

NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. - Pasco County officials have banned Christmas trees from public buildings in a move that one constitutional law group said Thursday was "the most extreme example of censorship imaginable."

The last of the Christmas trees were removed Wednesday after the county attorney said they were religious symbols, said Dan Johnson, assistant county administrator for Public Services.

The county either had to allow all religious symbols or none, he said.

"What you allow for one you must provide for all," Johnson said.

Pasco County, with nearly 400,000 residents, is a fast-growing area that has a mix of rural and urban areas and whose population has grown due to the urban sprawl that has crawled north from Tampa.

The American Center for Law & Justice said the decision was based on a flawed understanding of the law. Senior counsel Francis Manion said Christmas trees are legally considered a secular symbol for the observance of a national holiday: Christmas.

"They don't seem to understand the law, quite frankly, especially in concern with Christmas trees," Manion said.

The center's chief counsel, Jay Sekulow, said in a press release that "this is the most extreme example of censorship imaginable."

The center asked the county Tuesday to reverse the decision.

Johnson said the decision would stand through the holidays, but it would be reviewed next year and he welcomed advice.

"If they have something, I wouldn't mind getting it," Johnson said, explaining that he would pass any information along to the county attorney.

Johnson said he heard from dozens of people who were unhappy with the decision.

"Christmas is a federal holiday, Christmas is a widespread tradition and I think the attempt to remove any decorations that refer to Christmas or the nativity are simply ridiculous," said Gary Hatrick, 47, associate editor at the Zephyrhills News in Pasco County.

Previously, the county allowed the display of Christmas trees, but not religious symbols, Johnson said. Recently, a man wanted to display a menorah at a public building. He said that when the county attorney investigated whether the menorah could be displayed, the attorney decided that Christmas trees were also religious symbols.

Pasco County is just north of the Tampa area on Florida's gulf coast.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind is..................morons.

I'm surprised it's still a national holiday, being so unPC and all.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
:newyear: :santa: :newyear: :santa: :newyear: :santa: :newyear: :santa: :newyear: :santa: :newyear: :santa:

The next thing you know..... I aint even gonna get started!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Really makes ya mad don't it? It does me!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if there isn't a grandfather clause for "pre-ban" trees with their evil features: (lights, bulbs, candy canes, and those dangerous pointy stars on top)? Before long they'll want all the pines and spruces...

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[font=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=+2]Officials reverse decision
to bar Christmas trees
[/size][/font]
[font=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=+1]Letter from Christian legal group
prompts immediate action
[/size][/font]
[size=-1]Posted: December 18, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern

[/size] [font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times] [/font] [font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times][font=Palatino, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times, serif]
[size=-1] ? 2004 WorldNetDaily.com [/size] [/font] [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]County officials in Florida reversed a decision that banned display of Christmas trees in public facilities, including libraries, recreation centers and community centers. [/font]

Christmas tree at Arkansas public library

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]Pasco County, north of Tampa, made the reversal 24 hours after the American Center for Law and Justice sent a letter [pdf filed] to officials. [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]"We are pleased that the county admitted its mistake and reversed its legally flawed decision removing Christmas trees from county facilities," said ACLJ chief counsel Jay Sekulow. "The law is very clear about this issue -- the display of Christmas trees is constitutional and the county had no legal basis in removing them." [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times][/font] [font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]Officials ordered the trees removed because they were considered religious symbols, said Dan Johnson, assistant county administrator for Public Services. [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]Sekulow has argued five cases at the Supreme Court involving issues of religion in public life. [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]He advised that "before taking such drastic measures in the future, it would be beneficial for county officials to get a clear and accurate understanding of the law." [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]The ACLJ's letter cited a 1989 decision in which the high court said: "The Christmas tree, unlike the menorah, is not itself a religious symbol. Although Christmas trees once carried religious connotations, today they typify the secular celebration of Christmas." [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]Furthermore, the Supreme Court and numerous lower courts have held that Nativity scenes and menorahs may be displayed on government property without violating the Constitution. [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]This season, the ACLJ also helped reinstate the display of a Nativity scene in a senior center in Missouri operated by the federal government's Department of Housing and Urban Development. [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]Meanwhile, an atheist couple is demanding that the Seattle suburb of Bellevue, Wash., remove a decorated tree from its City Hall, even though it isn't called a Christmas tree. [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]Sidney and Jennifer Stock say the "giving tree," which has generated nearly $25,000 worth of donations, is offensive, reports KOMO-TV in Seattle. [/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times] "There are a lot of people who've come to this country, maybe have been here for years, who don't feel freedom to say anything," said Jennifer Stock. "So we feel we're saying it for those people. Not just for ourselves." [/font]

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hehe, that is good news!

Someone rememeber to wish me a Happy Walpurgisnacht...;) (4/30)

Nothin' better than killing a living thing to celebrate the Holiday!

Woot!

small edit to metion: I've killed a many a Christmas tree to be "in the spirit of the holiday". It was great fun, kids love it. Guess it's because we frown upon destroying things yet do it in celebration? I'm no "tree-hugger" but the question of cutting down a living thing has bothered me for awhile, they're not critters but I go with the "live" deal anymore. Luckily I'm not a city dweller and can plant 'em out back. (Uh oh, that doesn't sound so good. I'll never kill another tree that isn't messin' with my flood line) O.K., now I'm a tree-hugger...........................................

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
A lot of people are sick of this nit picky stuff and I really believe it is swinging back.

Call it backlash if you want, but it is happening and not just from religious people.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

It's about time!!!!!

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Lupeloff said:
The only thing that comes to mind is..................morons.

I'm surprised it's still a national holiday, being so unPC and all.
A couple of year ago an attorney from Cincy where I live went to the supreme court to try and get the Christmas holiday abolished.

A friend of mine who is a devout atheist thought this was stupid. His thought was, who doesn't mind getting a couple days of to visit family?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
That guy is related to my buddy who is a Jew. He is considered an idiot within his family.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
"Sidney and Jennifer Stock say the "giving tree," which has generated nearly $25,000 worth of donations, is offensive, reports KOMO-TV in Seattle.

"There are a lot of people who've come to this country, maybe have been here for years, who don't feel freedom to say anything," said Jennifer Stock. "So we feel we're saying it for those people. Not just for ourselves." "

You find the "giving tree" offensive? :rofl: I say big friggin deal. There is a lot of crap I find offensive. Like the morons that drive around with their radios blaring obscenities on public streets. And, it is offensive to me to see queers kissing each other on public property. Get over it you friggin loser, I've been told there is no right to not be offended.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Custer said:
A lot of people are sick of this nit picky stuff and I really believe it is swinging back.

Call it backlash if you want, but it is happening and not just from religious people.
It is swinging back. The silent majority is getting sick of being silent and getting crapped on. The progressives are idiots for waking them up, it's going to be like a snowball rolling downhill and it's just getting started.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
It usually swings back as far as it went the other way, which is unfortunate. A little balance would be nice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts