Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it's another in a series (LOL) of projects (tutorials) that I use to complete the AK rifle. I'm using my current build to document some of the procedures used hoping it will help others.

Attachments

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I had to make a Folder just for your tutorials. Guys like you, 7.62 and Hcpookie make a huge contribution to the home builders. Thanks again my friend!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have downloaded this one and the barrel removal one. Your tutorials are absolutely the best I think I have ever seen. Do you have any more of these? I hope I did not miss any. Also where did you get those clamps? They look great. I have never seen any like that. If you have other turorial please post them here or PM me and I will give you an email address to send them.

Please do the AK community a service and keep doing these.

Thanks again

·
Registered
522 Posts
Where do you find layout blue? Where do you find those clamps? Are these harbor freight items?

·
Registered
522 Posts
TK what is the model # on those clamps? Or to put it another way what is the best choice for "our" type of project? Though it's not shown in this tutorial they look like they would be good for holding rails during welding. Do you ever have a need for more than two?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fal_shooter...

I purchased 2 sizes, the small ones Enco P/N 505-4543 and the larger P/N 505-4545. The difference in size between the two is great but needed in parts of the build. The larger clamp is great for holding the front/rear trunnions in place during fitting. I only purchased two of each size but would reccommend buying four of the small ones.

I do use the small ones for holding the lower rails but you need to add a small piece of .250" bar stock between the clamp and rails (I'll be showing that when I post the lower rail installation procedures). It seems that the small clamps hit the upper rails when trying use them alone to hold the lower rail and the larger clamp is to big to fit between the rails. Maybe I should buy the 2" clamps (in between size of the ones I bought) when I buy the additional smaller clamps. They might work without using the bar stock.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thanks for the info. The large ones would probably work for me since the bending jig I use will let me put the rails in after the top bend is done. It is much easier putting rails in a flat that trying to work in the confined space after the flat is bent. With my jig I do the top bend, spotweld the rails then do the bottom bend. With this jig I go from flat to receiver in about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will be interesting to see the jig your using. The AMD-65 build I'm doing now is using a flat bent with the DPH Arms jig. I thought that by using a flat with all the holes pre-drilled would make this build a piece of cake compared to the ACE receiver builds I'm use to. But making a receiver from a flat has it's own problems that I never had to deal with before. At this point I'm not sure weither I like the flat bent receivers or not. Guess I'll have to wait till I'm done and then make the decision.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you go to that "other" place and look up the post on the Seattle Build Party you will see the prototype jig and all the receivers we turned out with it in just one session. 3 of those were done on a 555th jig and the rest on the cwtoyota jig. I should be getting a production version of the jig in a week or so and will post some pictures if you like. I sold my 555th jig the day after I used this jig. I will post more on it when it is officially for sale.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts