Gunco Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an idea!
Boy are you guys going to get a kick out of this.
Have you ever had trouble with getting the rivets out during a screw build, And find yourself in a bind by reaming out the "Front" trunion holes to much and not getting the stubbern rivet head from out of the hole without hacking away at the rivet for hours to get the peices out becouse you don't want to remove the barrel?
Well I found out a great way to kill them over sized holes if the threads seem to not grab or the 10/32" or 5mm screws seem too small for the over sized hole. There's been alot of talk about this, As far as using "Heli-coils" or going to an over sized screw...Which looks to gawdy to mention and the price to buy the "Heli-coil" set kit 20-30 bucks.
I found out that by drilling the trunion hole or holes much bigger to a 9/64" working the bit up of course. Then tapping the hole to 5/16"/24 tpi. You can use an fine thread "Allen set" screw as an insert which is as good as a weld if done right. The allen set you can by at the local hardware store for around .50 cents, has approx. a 1/8" circumfrence for you to retap the 10/32" or 5mm screw. They're already hardened and it's much safer than using a "Heli-Coil" and much cheaper than buying a new trunion IF DONE RIGHT.
I don't have a lot of time to explain so if your interested, post a reply and I'll do my best to explain. It worked great with a new build of mine! 1000 rounds and holding strong.
A little more work but well worth the trouble. I know there might be a lot of talk about removing that much metal about the trunion, But the "Allen sets" are a hell of a lot stronger than the trunion itself and when set permanantly with ""RED"" lock tight and/or "Liquid metal" epoxy resin before retapping to your screw size, these hold real well.
Please inquire before starting this method. Only people with very good machanic skills try this. I will try to be as defined about it this as I can.
-Shadow-

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Allways another way!! I like that here

1 - 2 of 2 Posts