Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys like frying turkeys? I'm going to my brother and sister inlaws tommorow, but Friday I'm gonna deep fry a turkey for home. Yum. :)

Only thing I miss is the dressing that's baked inside the turkey when you cook it in an oven. It seems to taste better to me than cooking the dressing alone. Also, do y'all like oysters in your dressing? Yum again. My wife doesn't care much about oysters in the dressing though. :bawling:

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Pogo,

I don't care for oysters in anything LOL. But, my wife has perfected the art of making stuffing outside of the turkey that tastes darn good.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Man I LOVE oyster dressing........and as you said "cooked inside the bird".
:smoke:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I have never had oysters in the dressing, it sounds good though. I have put sausage in the dressing before but, that's all. I may have to try that for X-mas. Sounds yummy.
:thumbup1:
Actually, the frying thing kinda' scares me. I have heard about people burning their garages or houses down. I guess this is something thata has to be done outside in the open.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Yeah, I know someone who knocked over their fryer. It was a mess, but they did their's outsdie about 20 feet from the back porch, thank God for that. They did get some oil splashed on their legs and were slightly burned.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SD,

Yep, ya ought to do it out in the driveway or on a concrete walk. You don't want to do it in the garage or on a wood deck. :)

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
Shoot that sucker full of Creole Butter!!!!!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Make sure the bird is pretty dry on the outside before you stick it in the oil..it won't bubble up as much..and put it in real slow.....you don't want the oil dripping on the flame..when i first got mine it bubbled up over the top..i shut the gas off before it caught fire..but i killed all the grass around it in the back yard...then all summer ya have to listen to "who killed the grass yuk yuk yuk"

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
WC846 said:
...then all summer ya have to listen to "who killed the grass yuk yuk yuk"
Just tell 'em.........Where Bambi goes.........nothing grows.
:smoke:

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Mmmm, fried turkey, Yum.
Oyster stuffing, double yum.

I find that if you use chicken broth, when making your stuffing, it's pretty hard to tell that it was made outside the bird.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
My wife has been doing the family dinner for about 30 years now. It is so great that I don't want to tamper with a thing she does.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Custer said:
My wife has been doing the family dinner for about 30 years now. It is so great that I don't want to tamper with a thing she does.
My wife and I have an agreement............if I stay out of the kitchen, she'll stay out of the garage. :smoke:

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
DorGunR said:
My wife and I have an agreement............if I stay out of the kitchen, she'll stay out of the garage. :smoke:
I think we are married to the same woman.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WC846 said:
Make sure the bird is pretty dry on the outside before you stick it in the oil..it won't bubble up as much..and put it in real slow.....you don't want the oil dripping on the flame..when i first got mine it bubbled up over the top..i shut the gas off before it caught fire..but i killed all the grass around it in the back yard...then all summer ya have to listen to "who killed the grass yuk yuk yuk"
Yeah, I did that once too. :scared: That's why I mentioned to set it in the driveway or on a concrete walk. After you are done cooking, you can take the garden hose and just wash it off if you splash out any grease. It can sure make dead spot in your grass. :p

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Very timely this topic:

Today at the body shop my neighbor is the manager at one of his guys a detaier decided he would bring his turkey fryer to work and make his Thanksgiving turkey for his family while he worked. This guy is none to bright to say the least and had never done this before. He got 1 gallon of peanut oil which cost $25 and dumped it in turned on teh fyer and let it go fo about an hour. When the cover was taken off the oil was boiling and roiling, so whay not drop the turkey in that had been thawing in hot water for the last 6 hours, right?

He drops the turkey in and the fryer expoldes shooting flames 15 feet into the air like a rocket. They get the lid on to snuff the flames, but there was so much smoke that neighboring businesses called the fire dept.

Bad stufff

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
magnus392 said:
Bet that guy feels like a Doodie head, lol. :blowup:
Not sure because my neighbor describes him as one of those people that sort of floats through life in a daze. He's probably the guy that will cause someones death eventually.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Now that is frickin hilarious. Those bondo slingers aren't the brightest bunch in the world, are they. I have never tried the oysters in the stuffing before and something tells me that Momma would not take too kindly to that. It has been several years since I fried a bird, but I have to agree it is good eatin' and most decidedly an outdoor sport.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts