Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a pic of me digging out of a mudhole!

http://www.steelriders.com/Images/Others/****.jpg

No current event, just some nonsense! Before getting into guns, I was heavily involved with riding ATVs. Still do it on occasion.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops! Sorry, wrong pic! here is me:

I dug out of the mudhole on my 00 Suzuki King Quad. I now
ride an 02 Arctic Cat 500... took it on rides across the country.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yosuthnmasa said:
Does look like alot of fun. How deep can you get those without screwing up the motor?
That's a good question. So long as your air intake doesn't get water/mud in it, you're okay. That goes for your carburator. My AC500 is belt-driven (using torque converters instead of gears), so I also have to keep the air intakes for my transmission above water. In Louisianna, there are riders who use snorkels and ride their quads underwater

I just ran across some fun pics. Here is an illustration. That's me shushing, and in the upper left hand corner.

When I ride now, I usually carry my 1911A-1 in a tactical thigh holster. After riding on several trails in Colorado, I discovered there were mountain lions there. I could have been shish-ka-Clay!

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
That kind of riding takes balls..........and I didn't know lawyers had any.

j/k Clay :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DorGunR said:
That kind of riding takes balls..........and I didn't know lawyers had any.

j/k Clay :biggrin:
LMAO! Thanks DorGunR! :biggrin: I've heard Hillary has a couple of big hairy balls! :scared: Dunno, but who wants to find out?

Sometimes, I wonder what happened to my brains! 3 years ago, I had a 605 pound quad back-flip on me, snapping my left arm in two behind the wrist! The docs had to do 4 surgeries, placed three different fixators on the arm, which all looked like hell (like a black, metal door closer stuck to you), and then it took 6 weeks of physical therapy just to regain use of the arm. Don't know if balls were at work, or rocks in the old noggin! The mishap was very avoidable.

Had many more good experiences. Quads will take you places you'd never otherwise go! Rode MOAB, Utah in June. It was 117 degrees in the shade, too hot to wear a helmet, but followed some of the "Old Spanish Trail" and also found many ancient petroglyphs! Rode trails near Donner Pass and Sutter's Mill in California, and another group of riders was driven away by bears. The lakes were bluer than anything I've ever seen! Lots of other places were great: Salt Lake Flats, Medicine Bow, and many more.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Clay.......quads sound like a lot of fun.........I've never ridden one........the only "wild" thing I've ever done (Besides combat) was skydive. :)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty sure that skydiving and combat take more balls than riding fourhweelers! ;)

To me, riding is just fun, and besides I love exploring! For instance, I took a group of riders (families) to Croatan National Forest near NC's coast. There was nasty, black mud and neat stuff to ride in (nothing dangerous), but everyone had a good time. I told members of the group about America's first English colony at nearby Roanoake Island, which disappeared except for a stone with "Croatan" written on it. Didn't find anything, but it was fun for all.

I wish I had a fourwheeler when I visited Cancuun. There was a patch of jungle near our timeshare, believe it or not! It was fenced in, but I climbed over. I hiked around, past numerous trees with killer bee hives (more stupid than anything) and found some Mayan ruins, including a pyramid and what appeared to be foundations for two other structures and an ancient cistern. I climbed the pyramid and found myself just atop the jungle canopy. The pyramid was built so whoever stood atop it would be in the sky! It was facinating. On a tour guide to Talum, the guide said Mayan ruins were all over Mexico, but landowners hesitated to meke them known, because the government confiscates them. I hiked across a golf course in Cancuun where there were numerous Mayan ruins... much better than any miniature golf course!

One temple at Taluum had a seven fingered handprint on it, and a pre-Colombian painting of a bearded white man! I was struck by both! Were there white men here before Columbus? The handprint reminded me of the Jadacula stone here in NC, near one of my favoritie riding places. It has ancient inscriptions older than the Cherokee - and a seven fingered handprint! A coincidence? Makes me want to hop on my ATV and head into the wilderness!

Like a fool, I took my wife to the Pyramid I found. She wasn't afraid of the killer bee hives (didn't have a bee come near us), but she hated the Iguanas! here she is at the foot of the pyramid:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not in this, but it says a lot about fourwheeling -

and this ...

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Clay
I've only spent a week in Mexico and that was on the west coast about 1,000 miles south of the border, drove down in a new Fort pickup, 1971. Exploring those ruins sounds exciting.........always wanted to do something like that but the nearest thing to that was some old castles in Germany. Thanks for taking your time to tell us about your trip.......I really enjoyed reading your post.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks DorGunR! I got carried away, though. :p German castles sound pretty darn cool! :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts