Gunco Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll tell about the time of my first turkey kill. I was new into turkey hunting and some buddies asked me what I was hunting with. I told them my 20 gauge with 3" magnums. Like I said, I was new and I didn't want to destroy the bird. Man they laughed at me for days saying it was impossible to kill a turkey with a 20 gauge. I always love a good challenge, so I set out to prove them wrong.

Spring gobbler season rolled around and I had a blast the first week. Never got a shot off, but I was having the time of my life chasing after them. Saturday morning rolled around and I was out in the woods before daylight. I had roosted some nice birds the night before and couldn't hardly wait to get started. Just as daylight broke, so did the rain. Man, I was soaked from head to toe. I couldn't hear anything for the rain, so I headed home. About 9:30 am it was still raining hard so I gave up for the day and decided to do something else. About 10:00 am as I was leaving the house, it stopped raining, and I heard a hen calling and a tom answering within 300 yards of the house. So I changed into another pair of dry hunting clothes grabbed my calls and took off.

I was able to hide behing the bank of an old logging road and crept to within a hundred yards of the tom. I called and I called but the tom wouldn't respond. Then the hen I heard earlier started imitating me and the tom went nuts. He came to within 50 yards and I coulcdn't get him any closer. I could tell he was a big one and I didn't want to let him get away. I figured 50 yards was a pretty long shot for a 20 gauge on a turkey, so I came up with a plan. I'd shoot him, and if that didn't kill him, it would at least stun him. Then after I shot, I would run as fast as I could to a closer distance and get a second shot.

Here we go. Like I mentioned earlier, I was using a single shot 20 gauge. So I took a careful aim, shot, and hit my mark. He was stumbling and I was running. I reached into my pocket only to then realize that the rest of my shells were still in my wet pants. I'm nearly to the turkey by this point and he is coming to his senses. I figured 200 pound man, 20 pound turkey, no contest. I'm 5 feet behind him and he is starting to fly about a foot of the ground. I threw my gun and jumped right square on his back.

Man I tell you, after about 5 minutes of the worst thrashing and thumping of my life, I finally wore the turkey down. Pound for pound turkeys has to be one of the strongest animals living. It was all I could do to hold on to him. And had I not grabbed his feet when I first jumped him, I probably would have never held him.

Do not try this at home, especially if you don't have heavy gloves on. Luckily I did because a turkey's spurs are sharp. So that's how I killed my first turkey. A 24 pounder, with an 11" beard and 1 1/2 spurs.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
That is great story! I have not hunted turkey yet. I will be trying that this next spring. My boss has 300 acres with lots of turkeys and he is going to take me along to learn. I cant wait. So, all I have to do is stun the turkey and then jump on his back? Sounds like fun. I think I will try it that way first.LMAO! Maybe take an AK with me? Nah, shotgun will work fine.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you try it my way, you'd better be ready for a real thrashing!!!!! Turkey hunting is probably my favorite sport. Have fun, cause it's a blast.

BTW What kind of birds do you have down there? We have Easterns in this part.

·
Registered
681 Posts
a wounded goose has been known to thrash a man about half to death also. Them wild critters can get nasty.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I was never "allowed" to go turkey hunting with my ex--he thought I would talk too much and couldn't be still enuff. I did go deer hunting on occassion. I wanted to do the turkey calling thingamabob :grumble:

funny story Preacher--I bet that turkey was like riding a bronco--lol giddie up

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I knew a fellow once who was hunting rabbits with a small caliber muzzleloader, sees one in the open field. shoots, it doesn't move. Reloads. Shoots again, doesn't move. Reloads again. Shoots a third time, still nothing. Walks up on it.
It's a bunny-shaped rock with three nice fresh lead smears on it. I don't think he's ever heard the end of that.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Thats funny as hell Preacher. :lol:

Hand to hand combat with a turkey......There's a Kodak moment for sure.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
cammobunker said:
It's a bunny-shaped rock with three nice fresh lead smears on it. I don't think he's ever heard the end of that.
I'm guessing that the skinning didn't go too well :lol:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My funniest hunting story is a mental-health story: Got called in to hospitalize a fellow who'd gotten picked up trying to kill himself by running around in the woods on opening day of deer season holding a rack of antlers over his head.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
When I was a kid in Texas, the way we would hunt rabbits is, we would hide behind a rock and then make a noise like a carrot, when they came to get it we'd grab em.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
A couple of weeks ago we watched a guy stalk one of the realistic looking cement deer that are standing around the local Golf Course..This guy must have crawled a hundred yards on his stomach to get a shot..if he would have looked a couple hundred yards to his left he would have seen is rolling on the ground laughing..but on the bright side..he did make a good shot on it..hit it twice before finally realizing it was cement..what a puff of dust it made when he hit it..

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Lupeloff said:
When I was a kid in Texas, the way we would hunt rabbits is, we would hide behind a rock and then make a noise like a carrot, when they came to get it we'd grab em.
OK Lupe, I gotta ask--what kinda noises do carrots make in the woods? :)

Dzerzhinsky said:
My funniest hunting story is a mental-health story: Got called in to hospitalize a fellow who'd gotten picked up trying to kill himself by running around in the woods on opening day of deer season holding a rack of antlers over his head.
That's actually a pretty genius way to do the act--he wouldn't have last too long in the woods here---if it moves and isn't wearing orange they shoot :sniper:

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Taz38 said:
funny story Preacher--I bet that turkey was like riding a bronco--lol giddie up
Ohhhhh man was it ever. I'll never try that again ....... Who am I kidding? Of course I would.
RebFootCav said:
Hand to hand combat with a turkey......There's a Kodak moment for sure.
Yeah, I would love to have that on film. I'm sure I could win some money with that on AFV.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Well, ... the guys with me found one incident sorta amusing, I didn't at the time and I'm not sure I do now.

Guess I'll share it with you if you promise not to tell anyone. Okay?

Used to do a lot of '**** hunting, back in the '60's. 3-4 or more nights a week with these two friends of mine. Frank and Leonard.

2 o'clock in the morning and them hounds baying a treed **** two or three ridges away is just about the prettiest sound on this good earth.

When that happens there's usually a creek or two, some swamp, and some farm fields with livestock in 'em between you and the treed ****. Multiflora rose and briar patches are common, as are fields with Bulls in them. Along with the ridges to climb ... in the dark of course. Takes a while to get there sometimes.

'Course, you got to go to where they are and try to get that **** out of that tree. You owe it to the dogs. Best if you get him down unhurt, then him and the dogs can tussle for awhile, the dogs get a bite of ****, and they hunt better for it., or the **** gets a bite of dog, and the dogs learn from that.

Now ... in case you didn't know, a full grown boar **** is a match for any one dog, and I''ve seen big 30-35 pounders whup two dogs and walk away, just as proud as could be.

If there's water around and that **** can get your dog in the water, there's a good chance you'll lose a good dog, 'cause the **** will climb on his head, all biting scratching and hissing. He'll end up drownding the dog.

Best thing was to let the dogs tree the ****, then climb the tree with a sharp stick, and once you could reach the ****, you could poke at him with the stick.

That way it was all up to the ****, he could stay up there in that tree and get jabbed with a stick, or jump down and have a nice fight with the dogs.

The choice was up to him.

Always seemed like the right thing to do, give the **** a choice!

Now boar ***** are pretty ornery critters, it's not unusual for one to get P.O 'd at the dogs, before the hunters get there, and to jump down and start biting dogs.

Now if you tree one too close to water, it's best to just shoot him (if you can see him, and if you can hit him), that way you don't risk an expensive dog.

Frank had this Plott hound, and Leonard had a big Redbone and a Plott hound.

Now Plotts and Redbones are a lot bigger, meaner and tougher than the little Bluetick hounds that most **** hunters use. They're used more for Bear, Lion and Boar. We were all pretty poor and we just used the same dogs for bear and **** both. Redbones are a little bigger and more solidly built than Plotts, pretty big dogs. But still smaller than a really big Black Lab would be.

Well .... this one night we were hunting ****, I didn't have a dog at this particular time so we just had the two Plotts and the one Redbone.

We'd hardly started the hunt (about 10 o'clock at night, January, and about 5 degrees out and windy,) and the dogs have a tree right off, and pretty close.

Only took about an hour to get to the tree, a huge old willow, right on the banks of this little creek, maybe 4 foot deep and 20 feet accross.

Not good news, we don't want that **** to get one of the dogs in that creek.

And the ****, well he's been run before, maybe shot at, and he won't look at the light. What with the wind moving the willow branches around, can't see that **** nohow. shooting him is not going to happen!

So ol' Frank gets a stick and climbs the tree, while he's waving a flashlight around trying to find the ****, we could hear the **** snarl and hiss every so often, so we knew there was one up there, and he was mighty peevish by now.

Now the dogs are baying, barking, jumping around and howling, and Leonard and I are shining lights up into the tree, trying to find that ****.

Frank yells out;

"I found him but he's way out on a limb, I can't reach him with the stick, I'm gonna shake him out."

So now Frank/s up in the tree shaking the branches to get that **** out, and Me and Leonard are still using our flashlights, staring up and trying to figure out where that D__n **** was at.

'Bout then Frank yells:

"Here he comes!"

"Where?"

Leonard and I holler back at the same time.

....... Next thing I know this 26 pound racoon lands in my face!

Now I don't know what the H__l is going on, but the **** is really mad, and he knows he's closer to them d__n noisy dogs than he wants to be.

So the **** climbs up on my head .... then about a second later all 3 dogs hit me, trying to get at that ****.

Like I said, they're pretty good sized dogs. They hit me from 3 different sides, so instead of knocking me down they sort of propped me up.

Now I'm standing there not quite sure what's going on, the **** on my head is spitting, hissing and cussing out them dogs. But just to be sure he doesn't fall again, he's digging in for a real firm hold. And the dogs are trying to climb me to get at that ****, like I was some kind of stunted tree or bush or something.

Well the dogs are going crazy, they can't quite get at that ****, the **** keeps digging in someplace new, trying to get a firmer hold on me. Frank is up in the tree, hollering for somebody to tell him what's going on. And my old buddy Leonard is just standing there laughing his Ass off.

I'm starting to figure out what's going on, but I don't really know what to do about it!

Now, the guys told me this only lasted for 10 or12 seconds or so, but I KNOW it went on for at least a half hour.

If it really only lasted 10 seconds, then I can only say is that time really slows down when you've got a p____d off racoon on your head.

Neither one of my good friends did a D__n thing to help me!

After a day or two the **** got tired of the game jumped off and hit the ground running. The dogs never did catch up to him that night.

Week later at work, Frank and Leonard presented me with a genuine **** skin cap. They said Davy Crockett was a fraud and a fake, he only wore dead *****, real hunters wore live *****, but untill I caught another one they wanted me to have the cap as a momento of the occasion.

I took 'em both off my Christmas card list.

They're still off!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts