Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about buying a generator for my mom when I move out. Any suggestions on something affordable but will keep the heat on in the winter and fans in the summer.?

I'm also interested in solar powered units for when I graduate and me and my fiancee move out west somewhere.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
A word of advise , go big NOT small. An elect. water heater can pull as much as 9000 watts. do you have a deep well pump? A 3000 watt is not much good for a home. if it is for your mom I would get electric start too.. if you are not in a real cold area their are some nice diesel generators for only a few bucks more that gas. if the power si out for an extended time it will be worth it. we ran our generator for 18 days during the big ice storm, and my parents ran theirs for like 20 days. they are too old to start it with the pull so they could not shut it off so a batery start is a big pluss

I would look at what the house will draw, frig, freezer, heat, heat circ pumps, water pump, and go over by about 30% to 50% this way you will not be maxing it out all the time , better for the generator and the engine..

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
yes the generator cephus shower is nice and may be big enough if you have something to turn it with..

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
Then get a 15,000 watt just to be sure, you have to take into account spike voltage when the higher demand devices kick on. You can get the home standby's for around $3500-4000, a bit pricey but well worth it.

My little summer adventure proved that my 5,550 portable was invalueable but not enough. It was a royal pain in the a*s to haul $2 a gallon gas to it every 12 hours too. Especially when the gas supply got a bit strained between Charley and Frances. It was also very noisy to have running out on the screen porch 23 1/2/7. The big home standbys are dual fuel or NG, run themselves once a week and have a diagnostic panel. They come in a neato burrito sound dampening box too.

When your power is out for a week or 2 you really do miss things like hot showers, cooking with something other than a grill or microwave and being able to wash your clothes. All of which you lose when you don't have the upper end horsepower from your generator. You only have to buy one once so if you do it right the first time you're set for anything.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Im on vacation in Ohio and the whole street is without power(1st 2 days of storm). My friend across the street was showing off his generators by turning on his christmas lights. Someone called the radio station and complained about it. LMAO!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
hotbarrel said:
An elect. water heater can pull as much as 9000 watts.
Just for information:
A hot water heater with 4500 watt elements, will only run one element, never both at the same time.
One is "quick" recovery, the top element.
The lower is standard element.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
cephus your house sounds like mine My generator is 6500 surg and 4500 continu. I hear it when the frige , or the pump comes on but it is not maxed out. when I replace it I will go to 5500 or 6000 continu, if I can afford it.
thanks gunny. I did not know they did not come on at the same time I just knew they were 4500 each. ..... even at that 4500 is a LOT especialy if your pump , or frige comes on at the same time. I would think the water heater will be on for a wile too not just 5 min.

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
Somethings for reference

Newer houses have a 200 amp feed going into the house
Older ones have a 100 amp feed.

If your house has a GAS furnace then it will pull 20 amps @240, but if it has a electic then it is 40 amps @240

I have a 5kw generator. It was a gift from my friend.
I can run my 36inch TV, the sat receiver, the frig, and lights.
I can not run my water heater when hooked directly to gen by itself.

Things to consider when buying a generator
(1) Gonna live in that home for a long time?
(2) Got natural gas availible?
(3) How cold do the winter's get there

I know I will not stay in my house for another 10 years, so I will just live with what I got or maybe buy a cheap 10kw portable.
If I planned on living here for the rest of my life then I would go purchase a 20KW natural gas unit.
I can get away with a 12kw to 15kw, but buying generators is like buying a home air condition unit. You always buy bigger then what you need.

For my parents house, they will get a 12kw natural gas unit.
They live in Charleston,SC. Most of the winters are mild with no snow or ice.
They only lose power when storms or hurricanes come through.
They will live in their house till they die, and then I will buy the house.
basically they could care less about air condition or heat, they are worried about the fridge,freeze, and basic items. They run gas for heat and for the water heater.
12kw would run them on everything.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Honda Super Quiet generators are nice. You can plumb the exhaust to the exterior of your garage and run the thing inside for security. It won't rattle your windows or wake the neighbors 3-blocks away.

Careful setup with a transfer switch to key circuits in the home will provide power for the essentials. Switching to fluorecent lighting will reduce total wattage and allow additional circuits to be added to the loop.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=ex4500

1 - 11 of 11 Posts