Gunco Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I doubt this is much to do with environmental issues. More to do with anti guns and anti hunting. Nice gambit.

California activists call for lead ammunition ban to aid condors
modbee ^ | 12-18-04

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - A coalition of environmentalists, American Indians and hunters is asking regulators to issue an emergency ban on lead ammunition in the condor's feeding territory and eventually statewide.

"This is imperative to get this going. We feel this is an emergency issue for the condor," said Jeff Miller, a researcher with the Center for Biological Diversity, one of the groups filing the petition with the state Fish and Game Commission.

The move comes 18 months after state wildlife managers started a voluntary plan to protect California condors from lead poisoning. Separate studies for the state and federal wildlife agencies last year found condor lead poisoning increased during the fall hunting season.

A problem has been hunters who leave an estimated 30,000 unburied carcasses or entrails across the condor's range, which are eaten by the scavengers.

But state condor preservation officials said survival is at an all-time high. Also, hunting regulations aren't up for routine review until 2007, leaving it uncertain if they will consider the plea from the activists who say traditional ammunition is too toxic. The next commission meeting is in February.

"We were losing a half-dozen to a dozen a year either to death or having to bring them in (to captivity) for bad behavior or something," said Fish and Game Department biologist Ron Jurek, a member of the California Condor Recovery Team. But none has died in 14 months. "We've never had such good survival. Things are looking up now."

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Yeah right, I'm with you Custer. New ammuniton will need to be made, the new substitute is more expensive than lead, prices of ammo will skyrocket........

Where does it stop?

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
There are a bunch of locals complaining about the shooting club I belong to. The club has been there for over 70 years. People recently have built nearby houses and complain that the lead on the ground could be infiltrating into their ground water that they drink. And, they say the noise bothers them. Whineyfied city yuppies, stay the heck away from the country if ya don't like the way things are out in the sticks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The "Center for Biological Diversity" is an extreme eco-terrorist outfit reminiscent of Earth First.

They are couching this attempt at getting an emergency decree under the guise of "requesting" hunters to voluntarily discontinue using lead shot (already Federally illegal for waterfowl) and bullets.

Their position does have some merit, as lead is toxic and the less we spray around the environment the better, and there are viable alternatives that function nearly equally to lead and are priced only slightly higher (barring milsurp of course).

The chance of the eco's getting an emergency regulation before the February 2007 mammal hunting review is pretty slim. When they fail, then you will see the true colors of these freaks as the lawsuits hit the fan.

Might be a good time to buy stock in Barnes Bullets.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pogo said:
There are a bunch of locals complaining about the shooting club I belong to. The club has been there for over 70 years. People recently have built nearby houses and complain that the lead on the ground could be infiltrating into their ground water that they drink. And, they say the noise bothers them. Whineyfied city yuppies, stay the heck away from the country if ya don't like the way things are out in the sticks.
My club has been on the same site since 1916. All new member intiation fees for over 20 years have gone into a contingency fund for buying new property in case we would ever get zoned out due to development. So far so good, but I suspect my son will see the end of that location someday.

·
'Explosives expert"
1,208 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but........

Lead is mined, from the earth ground whatever. Point is Shooters are just helping, we're just putting it back in the ground.;)

However as we all know.............guns are bad........

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I knew a guy that used to run a small sawmill. He said an EPA inspector had to come out once a year to the tune of $900 to see if the sawdust pile was polluting the water table. SAWDUST!!!! How much more natural can you get than sawdust. I guess they'll have to start fining property owners every time a twig falls of a tree and a termite eats it. Worse yet just imagine all the pollution every time a deer takes a dump in the woods. This would be a good way for the gov to take the land. Fine all the property owners for all that pollution until they can no longer afford to own it. Man!

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In many cities, for industrial applications that use water, the water going out of the factory system has to be cleaner than the city water you take in.

In other words, if you "dumped" tap water onto your property, you would likely be in violation of clean water standards.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Custer said:
In many cities, for industrial applications that use water, the water going out of the factory system has to be cleaner than the city water you take in.

In other words, if you "dumped" tap water onto your property, you would likely be in violation of clean water standards.
That is funny. :thankyou:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Preacher said:
New ammuniton will need to be made, the new substitute is more expensive than lead, prices of ammo will skyrocket........
Actually Preacher the ammo is being made. I reload with SinterFire .223's and they aren't much more than regular bullets. FMJ's are $42 to $45 per thousand and the sinterfire are $50 per thousand..

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Just for giggles thought it would be interesting to see just what comprises the condor habitat - i.e. just how much of Kalifornistan would be put off-limits to shooting with lead bullets:

"California condors are found in the arid foothills and mountain ranges of southern and central California."

from: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/te_species/index/classification/birdslist/condor.html#habitat

That's a lot of California. It'd be the end of any hunting in Angeles National Forest and Los Padres National Forest, among other things.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
WC846 said:
Actually Preacher the ammo is being made. I reload with SinterFire .223's and they aren't much more than regular bullets. FMJ's are $42 to $45 per thousand and the sinterfire are $50 per thousand..
Didn't know that. I guess I was on a rant that day. How is accuracy?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
they are supposed to be more accurate than the jacketed but i haven't done any accuracy tests yet..i do know that i weighed a bunch of them on my digital scale and they are so close to being the same it is amazing..my jacketed bullets aren't even close..but i'm shooting FMJ's, they are at the bottom of the bullet scale for accuracy..match bullets are much better, but they cost too much for plinkin..

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Preacher, After last night, i'm switching to the sinterfire bullets for all my indoor shooting. They don't give off smoke like the lead bullets do. Scubadvr and i went to Bullseyes indoor range..i took my para-ordnance 45 it has 16 rd mags. After about 10 rounds the smoke was so thick you could hardly see the targets..haha..

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Let us know how it turns out. Now you've got me curious.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Preacher said:
Let us know how it turns out. Now you've got me curious.
When i finally make it to Cephus's house, i'll bring some along so you can shoot a few(hundred)..haha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts