Gunco Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YAHOOOOOOOO!

Finally, I have all the tools to do my builds! Got the AK-74 stub barrel assembly from K-VAR and removed, then installed the barrel. This is great practice. In my haste, I forgot to mark the barrel and trunion for re-installation, but it only took 2 trys to get it right, the barrel pin went in like a greased pig.

Since the barrel stub has about 1/3 of the receiver left I will be able to practice installing the front trunion rivets as well.

One thing I did notice is that near the aft front trunion rivet it looks like I somehow kinked the receiver metal near the mag well (or what's left of it). I will have to watch to make sure that nothing hits to prevent this.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,980 Posts
I think those K-VAR stubs are the great deal of all-time and you've got a good idea to use one for practice.

 
  • Like
Reactions: mike26038

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mike26038 said:
Thats a great idea for those stubs.. Hope all goes well..

What are you using for riveting?
I got the full blown tool kit, 7.62x39's Trigger Guard Rivet Jig, Plinker762's Front/Rear Trunion Rivet Jig and last but not least, Xebec's Barrel removal/Installation Tool.

I'm like a kid in a candy factory. Now when I get those Ace bent receivers.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! Watch out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
Cool, I got all but the trigger gaurd jig..


A few thing on plinker's jig...

1. Take your time setting it up.. Make sure to secure the receiver in the jig..

2. I put masking tape on all the jig parts that touch the receiver, including in the dimples of the bucks, this will keep the tooling marks from transfering to the rivet head..

3. Make sure you are pressing only against the shank of the rivet. This is were I screwed up... The middle rivet, the one that is not countersunk, has a narrow releif on the inside of the trunnion.. Make sure the anvil you are using to press the rivet fits into this relief.. mine did'nt and I ended up pressing down on the trunnion, whick in turn pressed the receiver into the bucks and left a couple nice dents... I had to turn my anvil down some to fit in there..

4. I really did'nt like the setup on the jig for countersinking the holes on the receiver. I used a peice of round stock ground to a point, and a hammer to do this... If you experiment with it and get it to work good, let me know, I may not be holding mt tongue right???
 

·
Chinese Connection
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
mike26038:
if you want driving down to New Martisnville I let you use mine trigger gaurd jig hehehe, yes I know what you mean about rivets press , I kind F*** up my first build but after that is all good .

I still did not find out how to use the countersinking reciver yet, :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Sounds like you have the plan. I still need trigger guard jig and Xebec's barrel pressing setup. Anyone have contact infor for Xebec? I have looked but not found...he must belong to the other board where I am persona non grata :headspin:

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
Bluejack said:
mike26038:
if you want driving down to New Martisnville I let you use mine trigger gaurd jig hehehe, yes I know what you mean about rivets press , I kind F*** up my first build but after that is all good .

I still did not find out how to use the countersinking reciver yet, :dunno:

WOW I figured I was the only one i the area into building AKs.. We will have to have a build and shoot some day..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
Bluejack said:
I am ready to build , are you ??????

UMMM.. Well BLue I got the rivet jig, and press plate.. But I'm short a few receivers and parts kits...


Iv'e been waiting awhile to get soem receiver, I hate to ask the dealer up here for another FFL, til I buy something from him cause I'vr been having him get stuff in for me for awhile and don't wanna piss him off too bad.....
 

·
Gunco Irregular
Joined
·
4,323 Posts
Bluejack said:
I am ready to build , are you ??????
Ring... ring.... "Hello is Mr Blackjack home? I'm calling on behalf of the Receiver Poor of America. We are a non-profit organization dedicated to helping the receiver "blessed" massage their guilt by, and at the same time, helping the receiver poor of this great receiver rich nation. It's as easy as saying "yes everyone needs an AK47". All you have to do is adopt a person from our list of the very deserving "receiver challenged". Just place an X next to one of our unfortunate clients from our list and you're done, and remember, you can pick more than one if you are so inclined."
_ Mr A. Grendeljaeger
_ Mr B. Grendeljaeger
_ Mr C. Grendeljaeger
_ Mr D. Grendeljaeger
_ Mrs. Grendeljaeger (Don't mind the beard she has hormonal problems)
_ Baby Grendeljaeger (same problem, runs in the family)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
Grendeljaeger said:
Ring... ring.... "Hello is Mr Blackjack home? I'm calling on behalf of the Receiver Poor of America. We are a non-profit organization dedicated to helping the receiver "blessed" massage their guilt by, and at the same time, helping the receiver poor of this great receiver rich nation. It's as easy as saying "yes everyone needs an AK47". All you have to do is adopt a person from our list of the very deserving "receiver challenged". Just place an X next to one of our unfortunate clients from our list and you're done, and remember, you can pick more than one if you are so inclined."
_ Mr A. Grendeljaeger
_ Mr B. Grendeljaeger
_ Mr C. Grendeljaeger
_ Mr D. Grendeljaeger
_ Mrs. Grendeljaeger (Don't mind the beard she has hormonal problems)
_ Baby Grendeljaeger (same problem, runs in the family)


I bet yah a dollar I can get there quicker...
 

·
Chinese Connection
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
Mr. Grendeljaeger:
I am sorry, I am unable to do so at this time, as More Ak kits drop off by BBT just everyday, I think we will be run out these reciver very soon, you should try save money and buy your own, Thanks you ,

Have great day

Cephus- so you are up by shooter, nice gun store.

mike26038- why not buy lots of reciver when you can, it's much cheaper this way. Because as you know FFL dealer around this area usually charge $15-$20 pre each paper works or 10-15% of total sale plus state tax, sometime all above . it real add it up :scared:. check these two new build, also just got Plum AK kits from K-var too.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
OK now I'm super jealus.. Do you have a shop or just building for pleasure??? By the looks of things you are the AK king of WV... We should get together sometime...

Later..

Cephus, one day soon we will open that keg of nails... As soon as I can buy a few more kegs..hehehe... :headspin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Geezzzzzz, I feel all alone here. No one to build with. I guess it will be worse when I move to Wyoming. People are few and far between, but hey, we got wide open spaces.

Nothing like having some buddies along for the build ride.
 

·
Gunco Irregular
Joined
·
4,323 Posts
Toten Kopf said:
Geezzzzzz, I feel all alone here. No one to build with. I guess it will be worse when I move to Wyoming. People are few and far between, but hey, we got wide open spaces.

Nothing like having some buddies along for the build ride.
Hey Toten Kopf I'm in Northern Colorado(not to far from Wy.) I have a few build tools and would be glad to drive up there if you're not too far north. I'm waiting for a 12 ton press (back ordered from HF) A W. Morgan jig(waiting) MIG welder, Trigger gaurd rivet jig, And a MachMan dimple jig. I may end up buying the spotwelder too! I have 8 or 9 kits that need building.

And Bluejack you are much too polite, you need to hang up on those receiver beggars! LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Grendeljaeger said:
Hey Toten Kopf I'm in Northern Colorado(not to far from Wy.) I have a few build tools and would be glad to drive up there if you're not too far north. I'm waiting for a 12 ton press (back ordered from HF) A W. Morgan jig(waiting) MIG welder, Trigger gaurd rivet jig, And a MachMan dimple jig. I may end up buying the spotwelder too! I have 8 or 9 kits that need building.

And Bluejack you are much too polite, you need to hang up on those receiver beggars! LOL
Hey there, I'm still in Pennsylvania but have bought property outside of Sheridan, WY (that's about 426 miles from Denver). Hope to have this move thing sorted out soon but as the wife has a new and nice paying job we kinda think it will be around a year before the whole thing is done. I was going to wait before I bought the 20 ton press and spotwelder but reading everyones posts on building I just couldn't wait. So I have all that now plus machman's dimple tool (he sold me his first one). Will be going to Estes Park to visit relatives this summer, then heading up to Sheridan to visit the property.
I wish I was moving sooner but things happen, it would be great to get to do a build together and since you have 8-9 to do, I might just have moved by the time you have 1 or 2 left.....lol It's good to hear that there are other people out west that like building and shooting the AK.
 

·
Chinese Connection
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
Mike:
I don't have a shop, I just build for funs. lots fun that is . sure we get tongether something

Later
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top