Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the 1990's, about the time the Assault Weapons Ban went into effect, I had basically traded off all my AK's for SKS's. I had several Russian SKS's and at least one Chinese.

In the following years, I traded all of them off. The Russian SKS's were well made, but some of the arsenal refurbs were missing parts, especially the safety spring, and I noticed a couple of mine had some bad rusting to the fire control parts. So I let them all go.

Today, a couple of buddies and I traveled to a gun store in the next town. One of my buddies bought a pistol for his wife, and a lever action carbine for himself.

Well, to make a long story short, the gun store had several Yugo SKS's on display, new and unissued with cosmoline and all. I looked one over.

"Hmmm, I thought, this is one of the nicest SKS's I've ever seen."

I looked it over some more. The rifle looked brand new. I tried the trigger and fell in love. I had been keeping my eye out for a 7.62x39 Rashid for some time. When I fired a friend's Rashid, I was impressed by the crisp, light trigger. Most of the SKS triggers I've used go "CRUNCH, CRUNCH, CRUNCH--FIRE!"

The triggers on these Yugo SKS's had just a hint of creep, but broke as nice as that Rashid I had fired. Since the Rashid is a $600 gun, I decided that two Yugos could easily go home with me. They did, at $200 each.

I literally just got these home and put to bed. I haven't even field-stripped one to inspect it yet. I'd expect a surplus rifle to have a few specs of rust in spots, but maybe not if it's been in cosmoline. That funky gas cutoff for the grenade launcher looks a little fragile, but I don't expect to be charging at enemy troops, either.

What are your impressions of this rifle? Anybody gotten a bad one? I plan to shoot one and leave the other in mint condition. It seems to be a quality rifle. Anybody want to share their experiences with this rifle?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I love mine. They are great shooters, very reliable, and easy to work on. You are absolutely right, they are a very nice weapon. Every collector should have at least one. Jack

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, I'm looking for any information I can get. Mine has the grenade launcher, grenade launcher sight, and folding bayonet. Which model is it? The bores looked kind of dark; is this one's bore not chrome-lined?

Also, I'm looking for the PVC woodland camo chest rig once offered by Cheaper-Than-Dirt.com. They appear to have sold all of theirs. Is there another source?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE:

Thanks for the info! I've had so many problems with surplus military rifles over the years that I think that's why I got rid of all of the ones I owned.

The nice condition of these Yugos piqued my interest, but had the trigger pulls not been so crisp I would have passed them up.

I had as many as five Russian SKS's back in the day. Two were missing the safety spring; one had a badly rusted fire control group; one had a badly chromed barrel, and one was basically sound if beat-up looking.

I think the problems I had with my Russians prompted me to abandon the Curio & Relic SKS's. In fact, as I stated above, I had really been looking for a Rashid when I noticed these Yugos.

I hope your comments are representative of the Yugo batch! These two really look nice, although the bores are dark and rough-looking. Since I haven't had a chance to really field-strip these rifles yet, I hope that rough look is just from being filthy and not from rust! The rifling is sharp, but the surface is more of a gritty matt black (I'm used to the shiny, mirror finish of a chrome bore--I admit)!

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Model 59/66 has the grenade launcher.

Model 59 does not have a grenade launcher.

Yugo's do not have a chrome lining which makes them more accurate. I have 2 and my first was a beater I had to throw away the stock. It shoots 2 inch groups or better.

The other is a pristine one that was never issued except once and it came with the arsenal book and accessories.

I cannot say enough good things about these rifles.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SangRun Hunter said:
Model 59/66 has the grenade launcher.

Model 59 does not have a grenade launcher.

Yugo's do not have a chrome lining which makes them more accurate. I have 2 and my first was a beater I had to throw away the stock. It shoots 2 inch groups or better.

The other is a pristine one that was never issued except once and it came with the arsenal book and accessories.

I cannot say enough good things about these rifles.
How do you tell which ones have never been issued? STUPID question, probably: I've seen beater Yugos at gun shops which were obviously "issued". Mine look brand-spankin' new except for "storage dings" and minor wear to the bluing on sharp edges.

Am I safe to call these "unissued", or do the unissued ones come with certification and extra accessories like the Mitchell Mausers? All the ones I looked at today could have passed for "like new" except for minor dings in the wood and minor roughing up of the bluing on the high-points. They were all obviously full of cosmoline. The "issued" ones I've seen were not. I think all the ones I saw today were probably unissued. In fact, the gun store was selling a "crate of ten" for $1950.00. I wondered if they called this the "Militia Special?"!!!!

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
AIM was selling the ones with the aresenal book that shows the dates they were issued and if anyone used them in service.

If you find one that looks new it probably is an unissued or it was left in an armory where they didn't draw weapons very often. But then again I only play a gun expert on the internet.:D

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yeah, it's easy to get bitten by the SKS bug; especially with the great condition of some of the Yugos coming in.
I think you'll enjoy your two new ones. I bought my first 59/66 about two years ago, and I love the way it handles. I'm shooting 2-3 MOA with it, and I feel that's pretty good for any SKS.
I just got my M59 in about a month ago and have not had the chance to hit the range with her yet.
As you were told, they do not have chromed bores, so if you shoot any corrosive ammo just be sure to clean for such, *especially in the area of the gas cut-off*.
Don't worry about the bores being dark, as long as the rifling looks good, you should be good to go. Mine seemed to have brightened a little after use (probably just loosened up old crud, and got a real cleaning for once).
Have fun cleaning them up, and enjoy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a Chinese SKS that I sold at the beginning of the year. Since then I have gotten a C&R license and now have 2 Yugo SKS. Also 2 Chinese SKS that I bought at pawn shops, one of them a M model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Chinese where not C&R but you can use your C&R license at pawn shops to buy C&R weapons.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
There is one at my local gunshop and they want $350 for it. I've been so tempted as I always wanted one that took AK mags. It's got the thumbhole sporter stock on it and it's a little dorky. If I wasn't so broke and wanting so many other things I would snatch it up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It turns out my bores were dark because they were full of cosmoline. In fact, both rifles were superficially cleaned on the outside somewhere during the logistics pipeline from arsenal to retailer, but the insides still have plenty of cosmo on them. Once I ran an oily patch down each bore, I could see that they are bright and perfect.

I'm thinkin': the supply of new unissued Yugos is evidently already drying up. Since these look nearly mint condition, I'm thinking of leaving them in the cosmoline and buying another one to be a "shooter." I've always wanted to hold on to a couple of genuine military rifles in reserve for an SHTF situation, and these seem to fit the bill.

Yes, I know that they don't take detachable mags, but there's just something about knowing you have a rifle that some army trusted to be ready for actual battle in the event of a war. Years of experience with commercially made Chinese AK's and SKS's, not to mention the "civilian-grade" AR's I've owned, have left me a little suspicious of any weapon not produced by a military arsenal for a military force. How many times have you watched a "commercial" rifle choke even though it's a civilian-legal copy of a military weapon? Nah, give me a REAL military rifle!

Unfortunately, surplus American rifles like the Garand are rarely in new, unissued condition, so these Yugos have an advantage here, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Calling Major Pita

Be sure to acquire a case or two of Yugoslav milsurp ball ammunition for your new carbines.

The rifles seem to really groove on "correct" ammunition.

Will be corrosive, so take some care in cleaning up after your outings. No biggie.

HTH.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Yugo's are great rifles for the price. Best deal I have seen in a while. I got a Ex from Inter Ord. about two years ago and it is a keeper for both looks and performance. I shoot mine unlike the Albie I got from AIM. The Albie I got as a collector perhaps to part with later on. I haven't shot it, all I did was clean it up and the cosmo was worse than what was on the Yugo. Now I am on the look out for a Russian or Chinese maybe. SKS's can be as addictive as AK's:thumbup1:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts