Gunco Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any other folks here keep a grab-bag about? Sort of an everyday-use version of a SHTF bugout bag - a bag of stuff you grab whenever you head out to the boonies (for me the desert) for the day and to which you at least add your lunch, some ammo if you're shooting.

Mine's a British gas-mask bag, and contents are:
A 750 ml canteen
A pocket knife (lightweight Puma folder, about a 3 1/2-inch blade)
A small compass
A match safe with strike-anywhere wooden matches
A very small Russian-made monocular
A small (2 AA-batteries) flashlight
About a 3/4 used-up roll of toilet paper

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
I feel it is best to have some sort of grab bag handy. Some might feel a small bag is better - others I know have a 72 hour bag. I have both a small "day" bag and a larger pack ready to go (other than food and ammo). Be prepared is the way I feel about it. :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Prepared" is good, but it's easy to end up lugging around 45 pounds of lightweight equipment. One reason why I use a gas mask bag is that its small size imposes discipline*. My grab bag isn't for emergencies, just for day trips, although it's got a couple of items that would be useful in an emergency.

*Some time ago I read a backpacking book that had a good way of preparing for a trip. Put everything you plan on taking in the middle of your living room floor. Now get rid of half of it. In another book read a good tip for packing for a vacation: Take half the clothes and twice the money you think you'll need.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
What, no TP? You guys use yer hands? :D

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Always gotta have some TP or a small pack of baby wet wipes. The wet wipes are good for cleaning hands or for just in case.

I have a small camelback cloud walker pack that I use for a day pack. Saves me from carrying a canteen as it is in the pack. There is enough space for what I would like to carry. For my extended trips i have a medium alice pack and frame. It works good.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pogo said:
What, no TP? You guys use yer hands? :D
"About a 3/4 used-up roll of toilet paper"

Used to also carry a cut-down plastic garden trowel, but no longer. Found I don't need a trowel to comply with the Biblical injunction in Leviticus to bury one's poop.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I can't believe you guys, a real mountain man uses leaves!:rofl:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Preacher said:
I can't believe you guys, a real mountain man uses leaves!:rofl:
A practice that will soon come to a halt after one's first encounter with Poison Ivy or Poison Oak.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
A practice that will soon come to a halt after one's first encounter with Poison Ivy or Poison Oak.
I growed up in the woods. Never made that mistake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts