Gunco Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sitting here with a big bowl of ice water on my lap putting cold compresses on my little girls forehead.(7yrs old) Her school nurse called this morn letting me know that there was a virus going around, and that she had a fever of 102.:eek:

I've just given her some childrens Motrin and a new compress. God,,,,I hope her fever breaks soon, I hate seeing her like this!(miserable)
Now I'm not feeling 100%. Great, now who's gonna take care of Daddy?:(

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I can't stand to see a sick child, aspirin might be better for the fever. Hope you both get better real soon.

·
Registered
968 Posts
We've got the colds here too, it's that time of year. :(

Be careful with ice packs, you don't want to bring her body temp down too fast but more so at a 'natural' rate. I normally put a cool (not cold) washcloth on my girl's forehead after giving her some Advil (or Motrin). You don't want her to get the chills. Advil and Motrin are awesome in taking down a fever fast, I HATE Tylenol it takes WAY too long for the fever to go down.

My girl has a tendency of getting high fevers, so typically it will go to 103 or 104 when she's real sick. The Dr. has even told me not to go to the ER unless it gets higher than that because she is just prone to high fevers. :( Not fun at all but these high fevers run in the family.

102 is a good one, keep giving her the Motrin every 4-6 hours and make sure she drinks a lot of water. I hope she feels better soon! Look at it this way, she'll be better for Christmas so she won't have to worry about missing Santa. ;)

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Brother, I feel your pain. I had several times when my twins were sick at the same time. All they want is to be held when they are sick. I would spend the entire day with both of them on my lap, asleep, while I just watched the tube. I couldn't even move around.
The Motrin or any ibuprofen should be the best thing for the fever. I hope the both of you feel better soon. :sleep2: <---- plenty of this will help..

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Does she go to daycare after school?
Conventional daycares are cesspools of infection. My daughter almost died from a couple of infections she got at her old daycare where they kept 20+ kids cooped up in a 20x40 room and only let them out side if it was sunny and warm (This is The Pacific Northwest, it rains 10 months outta the year..) she was also always coming home with bite marks or scratches.
She's out of there now, thankfully.
The preschool she's in now is an affiliate of the Waldorf School System, and part of the curriculum requires the children to spend at least 1 hour outside regardless of weather conditions, Its part of the lesson plan in order to teach kids about nature and the cycles of the seasons, etc. Its OK because she has a full set of raingear, hat, barn boots and longjohns in her closet at school to put on before she goes outside, the teacher is also a nutritionist who has all the meals planned and balanced, and you wanna know what? Our little princess hasn't yet had even a single runny nose this year.
This time last year she was in the middle of her second ear & sinus infection, and we had to take her to the ER at 3 AM.
I guess with education, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Rubbing Alcohol on the bottoms of her feet and her stomach will break the fever.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No D.B, thank goodness. When she was 3, my wonderfull ex put her into a daycare. She came home sick her first 2 weeks in a row, and I yanked her out and enrolled her into a private school. You're right, daycares are cesspools of infections. Although I'm sure that most are good parents, some just don't give a damn about their children, or anyone elses for that matter. They send their children to school w/runny noses, coughing, sneezing and Lord knows what else. They just don't seem to care......:rant:

Thanks everyone for your input. Her fever has gone down and she's in her room eating a chocolate Santa Claus. Whew!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fal_shooter said:
Rubbing Alcohol on the bottoms of her feet and her stomach will break the fever.
Hey, thanks fal,,,,I'll try that tonight!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Give her a big hug from all her uncles here at Gunco, and tell her we love her.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aaawww, Thank You Lupe.:)

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
How's she feeling Stingray? and how's daddy? I have a thermos of chicken noodle soup on reserve--just lemme know :wink: seriously hope ya'll are ok.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts