Gunco Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted a Grey Hound from the track a year or so ago. I have found he is scared to death of any type of guns. It does not matter if it is a long gun or hand gun. If I bring one out to examine it he will run in the oposite direction.
He will even watch me if I go to my safe and open it.
He will only return to me if I put the weapon away.
Anyone else have this experience occur with their dog, or any idea why this happens?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I have a friend who is the local contact for greyhound rescue. He maintains their national website. I'll try to remember to ask him.
I had no idea how badly treated these magnificent dogs were treated until he filled me in about his hobby.

My next door neighbors have two beagles from rescue. They go nuts with firecrackers and lightning.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I thought this was going to be about buses. Whew I'm glad, well not glad that your dog is gunshy, but that another major company isn't getting gungrabby.

Cephus, didn't you have a dog that you broke of being gunshy?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Oh you bet ya! I have two dogs, one is a yellow lab and the other is some kind of lab/chow mix. Molly the mutt will not be caught in the same room with a firearm. I have had her since she was about 2-3 months old and as far as I can tell she has never been exposed to guns other than mine. I have taken neither of these dogs out when I go shooting, but that little black one has her mind made up. My computer is in my gun room and every once in a blue moon she will come in when I am at the key board and see what I am up to but for the most part my room is taboo too. She is about 20" or so at the hip, weighs about 40-45 lbs and has the absolute sweetest diposition of any dog I have owned but where she got this aversion to guns is beyond me. I have had other dogs in the past that you could tell were not what you would call wild about guns. I think it had to do with the fact that they saw me put down a couple of the families pet cats that were in a bad way (run over, dog maul, etc). I know it seems kind of out there but I had one rott that pretty much changed her entire personality regarding her interaction with me after she watched old "Maynard" the cat get "euthanised" and dumped into the convenient post hole. I was about 3 feet on the other side of the back chain link fence, I shot the cat, tossed him in the hole and covered him up. I turned around and Tasha was sitting right behind me with this "holy crap" bug eyed look about her. She was always a very obedient dog and yes she was subservient as I am the big dog in the house and being pack animals they know and respect that. But after that incident she would never be in the same room with a firearm and she brought a whole new meaning to the word subservient. Not saying that she was perpetually belly up when I was around but the poor girl was always on egg shells around me after that, really rather weird. You have to wonder what level these animals operate on. My cats and dogs have always gotten along like the best of friends. People don't beleive it until they see picks of my Rotts, Labs, or whatever curled up in the back yard with the cat curled up ontop of them. So here you have it the are companions, the cat gets mauled near to death by some marauding mutts and I put a bullet through the old guys head and kick him in the hole. Just exactly what goes through the dogs mind and on what level? And you know firearms have to have a very distinct odor to them that the dog can pick up on a mile away. Sorry for the long post but it is just one of those weird things that makes you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
My cats are the same way.. It's like the know what a gun is, and what it can doo, and they run and hide..

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Cephus.............you're a smart man.............and thank you.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts