Gunco Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A tactic increasingly adopted by the antis as been to address "gun violence" as a public health issue. There's a good grain of truth to it - during the crack wars of the 80's a very large proportion of emergency room use in Los Angeles was devoted to firearms trauma. But it's largely been co-opted by the antis, who are more focussed upon disarming the populace than gun safety or enforcement of existing laws designed to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals. Anyway, here's a pretty good overview article on it from folks who think it's a swell approach:

http://www.jointogether.org/gv/news/features/reader/0,2061,575483,00.html

An interesting and troubling point is made with: "...the weeding out of potential future criminals by Roe v. Wade..." Not a very nice thing to say, but probably true: While I am a firm supporter of the right of a woman and her physician to make abortion decisions instead of the government making them, I also concede that there are low-class no-class dirtbag women out there who use abortion as a routine means of birth control. The only thing worse than them aborting, though, if you stop to think about it, may be their not aborting and raising their unwanted children to be psychopaths.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Yep, ironic that Roe probably keeps costing the Dems an even bigger voting block.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Custer said:
Yep, ironic that Roe probably keeps costing the Dems an even bigger voting block.
Now that is truly weird, Custer, and as I think about it, if one presumes that abortion is most common among the poor and one presumes that the poor are more likely to vote Democrat than Republican (both, I think, valid presumptions), it's entirely true.

If Roe v. Wade is ever overturned, the reason why could be Roe v. Wade!

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
If Roe is ever overturned, it is because of the corner they painted themselves into in 1973.

Not much new law in that case. Privacy as a Constitutional right was pretty well set in Griswold. 1967 I think.

SCOTUS made a legislative decision based on the known reporductive science of 1973. Since that science has likely changed, they have a problem.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Custer said:
If Roe is ever overturned, it is because of the corner they painted themselves into in 1973.

Not much new law in that case. Privacy as a Constitutional right was pretty well set in Griswold. 1967 I think.

SCOTUS made a legislative decision based on the known reporductive science of 1973. Since that science has likely changed, they have a problem.
Thanks for the reference to Griswold. Didn't know of it, sparked my curiousity and I found this on the right to privacy. Which so far seems to be inappropriately limited to the sexual arena. Sex is only one of a vast number of areas that are nobody's business but my own and I want the government to just leave me alone.

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/society/A0840185.html

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Griswold has been cited in many cases since then. Much broader reach than the bedroom. It is landmark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts