Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rant: This is rediculous. These jerks steal the gun, and it's still the Gun shop's and manufacturers fault. How stupid can you get. And to call these clowns snipers. :angry: My grandmother could've pulled these shots off. :rant:

http://www.kotv.com/main/home/stories.asp?whichpage=1&id=74126

Judge Approves Settlement In Sniper Lawsuit Involving Gun Shop, Manufacturer

SEATTLE (AP) _ A judge has signed off on a $2.5 million settlement between relatives of Washington, D.C.-area sniper victims and a gun shop and weapon maker connected to the shootings.

In the settlement reached in September, Bull's Eye Shooter Supply of Tacoma agreed to pay $2 million to two survivors and six families related to the victims of snipers John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo. Gun manufacturer Bushmaster Firearms of Windham, Maine, agreed to pay the remaining $500,000.

Bushmaster made the weapon used in the shootings, which the pair reportedly stole from Bull's Eye. The families' lawsuit alleged that the shop's owners were negligent in allowing that gun and others to disappear, and that Bushmaster was at fault for shipping the gun to an irresponsible dealer.

It marked the first time a gun manufacturer has agreed to pay damages to settle claims of negligent distribution of weapons, according to the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, which helped the families file the lawsuit.

Judge Frank E. Cuthbertson approved the settlement Dec. 3 in Tacoma, though his order was filed under seal, the court said Friday.

Sonia Wills, the mother of victim Conrad Johnson, said $2.5 million ``is nothing.''

``They know they're worth more than that,'' she said Friday. ``This money will never bring my son back. It will never bring back any of the loved ones that were taken.''

Brian Borgelt, who owned Bull's Eye at the time, told The Associated Press this fall that he did not admit wrongdoing in the settlement, but simply wanted to get the issue behind him. Insurance covered the costs.

Bushmaster did not admit liability either and said it would not change corporate practices because of the lawsuit.

Malvo and Muhammad lived in the Tacoma area before heading east and beginning a terrifying string of random sniper shootings that left 10 dead in October 2002.

Malvo, 19, admitted being the triggerman and has been sentenced to life in prison for two of the killings so far. He could still face the death penalty in other prosecutions.

Muhammad, 43, is on Virginia's death row for his role in the slayings.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
What planet did this take place on?

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Damn it, the lawsuits that win in this country make absolutely no sense at all. Essentially this one states that a victim of a crime is responsible for the other crimes of his offender, what BULLSHIT.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
We need tort reform but it is tough to get it when you have to fight the unholy alliance of the plaintiff's bar and the Democratic Party that receives huge money from that wealthy, elite group.

A tort reform bill passed in Ohio yesterday but it looks weak to me. I also suspect it will be challenged as unconstitutional and it is a crap shoot how the Ohio Supreme Court will rule.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
For those people that get mad at Bushmaster or any other person that settles in such a lawsuit. They do what we all would do, and that is to avoid getting ripped off any more than they have to be. Bushmaster could either agree to pay the $500,000 in settlement or risk being totally wiped out with some outlandish award by a runaway court. And, that would be after they had to pay perhaps twice that $500,000 for their own attorneys to defend them.

I'll reserve my hate for the screwed up court system we have and the blood sucking attorneys.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I have been involved in mass tort litigation.

Without signficant changes in legislation in all states and at the Federal level, you can not win.

For good or bad, the company is forced to manage it as pure economics or like a tax. If it is serious enough, and it often is, the shareholders are eventually wiped out. The stock is cancelled and all the assets are given to a "trust" composed of the leading lawyers in the litigation. The "trust" is set up to pay out the claims and legal fees.

Eventually, the trust either liquidates the company or sells it to someone else, quite often foreign investors or other financial buyers who want to quickly dress up the weakened company to resell it in a year or two. They cut people and other costs to do this.

Of course, the people that caused this are the first to claim there are not good jobs out there and we are losing our manufacturing base.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Please help me sue someone......

I have become a ......little......overweight.......through no fault of my own and the couch is growing into my ass.I need help sueing McDonalds for forcing me to eat 59 Big Macs a day with 35 orders of Supersize frenchfries and 22 milkshakes for lunch...........help me to sue to protect my rights........

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
The new Ohio tort reform law protects the food industry from obesity claims.

Whoopee.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sonia Wills, the mother of victim Conrad Johnson, said $2.5 million ``is nothing.''

``They know they're worth more than that,'' she said Friday. ``This money will never bring my son back. It will never bring back any of the loved ones that were taken.''

Uhhh, then why is it that you want the money. Making money off the death of her son, this bitch is making me nauseous. Lets see her donate that money to her sons favorite charity. Yeah right. The part about "they know they're worth more than that" is especially vile. I'm sorry for your loss Sonia, but just out of curiousity, what value figure do you assign to your dead son? Enough so you can live like a queen the rest of your life?

I'm not even going to get started on the misplaced blame, too early in the morning to agitate the ulcers...........

·
Registered
158 Posts
More to the point with Bushmaster :

When the insurance company is footing your legal bills at some point you have to bow to their request. The insurance company says, "look , they are not going to win , but we WILL lose millions of dollars winning and paying $500,000 is more sensible."

You do what they tell you and perhaps take some solace in the fact that the (18? ) victims families will receive $27,000 - ish each to help with funeral expenses etc.

BTW, $27,000 for a relative's life ain't shit particularly when the victim's attorney is getting 1/3 rd off the top.

In the end it is all about the attorneys getting paid. The circumstances , people's injuries , etc are all secondary.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Another reason you settle is that you need to buy the insurance again the next year. You have to have a loss ratio that allows you to buy it and at an affordable price.

You can change carriers but not forever. Your losses follow you. Just like a bad driver.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I was sued once, by an Iranian imigrant. A baseless claim filed one day before the statute of limitations was to expire. The insurance company was going to settle for $100,000. I was able to talk them into fighting it. After depositions the plantiffs dropped their settlement amount to $15,000. The insurance company was going to pay that, and I was able to once again talk them out of it. Two days before the court date, the plantiffs said they would settle if we paid their attorney fees (who just so happened to be his cousin). Again, no. They dropped the suit the morning we were to appear in court.

Verrrry satisfying. :)

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
:thumbup1: GG :thumbup1: Way to go man!!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wal-mart has a "fight to the death - if you sue us " policy.

They have severely limited 'slip and fall ' and other BS lawsuits this way.

Most lawyers will NOT go up against Wal-mart.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
What do you do if you have 100,000 lawsuits against you and new ones on the same subject come in at the rate of 10,000 per year?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Uhh, ....pass legislation prohibiting frivilous lawsuits? :frown:

p.s. on second thought amend that - if you are getting that many you must be doing something very bad, so just stop it.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
the problem is that they are not frivilous. That is a misnomer tossed out into the media. There is "good" law behind them.

So, if you make guns and you get sued on behalf of people injured or killed, you should quit making guns?

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is absurd. If (God forbid) I get T-boned one night by a guy driving a stolen Chevrolet am I entitled to sue General Motors and the owner of the vehicle? The most serious problem with the law is that liars..err..lawyers write it. I have enough experience with the judicial system to know that it is largely a game to them and it is all about money. We need some serious legal reform. The sad thing is that the folks that really deserve compensation are not important enough to get it. I want to sue Bill Gates because I am now addicted to the internet, it makes me lose sleep and causes me distress, it makes it too easy for me to spend money on guns and related items.
The chorus of the new age, all together now....MY ACTIONS ARE NOT MY FAULT:grumble:

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I recall some big money changing hands a few years back on some class actions against PC companies and keyboard makers for various wrist and hand injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Custer said:
the problem is that they are not frivilous. That is a misnomer tossed out into the media. There is "good" law behind them.

So, if you make guns and you get sued on behalf of people injured or killed, you should quit making guns?
Yeah, if you have 100,000 (one hundred thousand) lawsuits pending, and another 10,000 per year coming in on "good law", then you had best just stop whatever it is you are doing, be it making guns or drugs, you are doing something wrong. Unless you are now spinning the topic Custer and we have gone from 100,000 lawsuits to the "tens" of lawsuits filed against gun makers?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts