Gunco Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gunman kills 2 at Ohio nightclub
Police shoot suspect to death, witness says

Thursday, December 9, 2004 Posted: 1:27 AM EST (0627 GMT)

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Ohio

or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

(CNN) -- A gunman opened fire Wednesday night during a heavy metal concert in Columbus, Ohio, killing at least two people -- including one member of the band -- and wounding at least three others, according to a Columbus Fire Department spokeswoman.

The gunman was shot and killed by police, according to an eyewitness account.

The fire department responded to the shooting around 10:20 p.m. ET at the Alrosa Villa nightclub on the city's north end.

Witnesses told CNN affiliate WSYX the shooting during a performance by Damageplan, a heavy metal group with two former members of Pantera.

Calvin Bota said he saw the shooting from the mosh pit right in front of the stage, shortly after the band began playing.

"Somebody came -- I don't know where they came from, out of the audience or whatnot -- but they come onto (the) stage and ... he shot the guitarist at first, fired a couple of other shots, and then he hid behind the stage a little bit," Bota told WSYX.

"Everybody started scattering, you know, there's mayhem everywhere. And then a police officer came into the building, you know, came in professional with his gun raised, and then he proceeded to shoot the guy."

Dimebag Darrell, 38, plays guitar for Damageplan and Pantera -- a group he formed with his brother Vinnie Paul in the 1980s. Darrell's father is Jerry Abbott, a country and western songwriter and producer.

Gerald Caudill told WSYX he saw the gunman shoot the guitarist several times.

"I was up close to the stage and I just saw some guy run up on the side of the stage and I heard some shots and I saw (drummer) Vinnie Paul and somebody jumped on top of Vinnie and the guy just stayed around the stage and started shooting other people," Caudill said.

"I saw wounded people all over the place, out in the parking lot, inside," he said. "It just didn't sound like gunshots or anything, it didn't occur to me that something like that was happening."

·
Registered
736 Posts
Dimebag was a guitar hero and loyal to always playing in bands with his brother Vinnie.

R.I.P Darrel Dimebag

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Was the shooter Palistinian?

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
They just reported he said something like " you broke up Pantera" before he shot the guitarist. I guess he thinks they should have asked him before he decided to leave his old band. It's a real tragedy and I can see this causing problems for concert goers in the future. I can no longer stand in the middle of a crowd like I could as a kid, I get claustiphobic.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I am surprised more of this has not happened.

There are a lot of people who take these entertainers way too seriously.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
I am surprised more of this has not happened...
Probably would happen more often were it not that rock concerns often have security procedures that put the TSA to shame, although what they're looking for is bottles and recording devices.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Last night I spoke to 3 lovely young ladies who were at the show and they were still pretty torn up. They were in the mosh pit and pretty much had front rows seats for the carnage. It's a unique joint, the front bar is completely seperate from the back bar where bands play. Folks up there probably didn't have a clue what was going on in back.

The cop, James Niggenmeyer, was a real hero as he could have waited for back-up. The gunman was backstage with his pistol to a man's head and the officer put his 870 to use, killing the dirtbag with a single slug from about 20 feet.

It's a real shame. The Al Rosa has always been a fun place to party and jam, one place I would least expect violence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts