Gunco Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several 500 - 600 dollar price range carry guns, from S/A pistols to revolvers. Recently I have started carrying a Malarov pistol that cost somewhere around 150 dollars. I have tested this gun with about 500 rounds of different ammo and it all works well. So I was thinking, why not just get 2 or three more of these as carry guns and leave the expensive stuff in the safe? If someone "confiscates" one of these, I still have two more and all the others? Other than being somewhat less powerful than my .45 or .357 mag, is there something wrong with my logic here?

I mean I don't do into places where I'm liable to get in trouble, but you can get stopped by some hot dog LE officer and they can take your gun, and also, they can get stolen, although if you are carrying it, it would be hard to get stolen from you. Also the Mak is small enough to where you could do the "Texas Reload" which is actually carrying two guns.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Sounds like a good idea Johnson. If you've fired 500 rounds with no jamming, then I'd feel safe with it. Everybody needs a "beater."

·
Registered
522 Posts
The Makarov is excellent as a carry gun. I carry one as a backup or sometimes alone when I want something to just throw in a pocket. They are totally reliable and the cartridge is very close to the 9mm in power. They are a great gun.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
I think I'll be picking at least one of these up myself. After the CZ-52 that is. What are Russian Maks going for these days anyway?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I wish I'd never have traded my little Mak, just felt good in the hand. I think I paid just under $100 retail. Don't ask what year [email protected]$$'es!:D

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Johnson,
why not get one of the little Kel-Tec P3AT.380's?
I go nowhere without it in my pocket, and to tell tha truth, it's so lightweight that I forget I'm carrying.

Try one,,,, if you don't like it I'll buy it!!!!!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've been itching bad to pick me up a couple of these. Maybe once the holidays have passed, and I've had time to recover...

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
You know, while I'm at the gunshow looking for the CZ-52 Im going to keep my eyes out for one of the Bulgarian Maks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
75_stingray
In ballistics the standard mak round is closer to the 9mm than it is to the 380. If you are hot for a 380 all you need to do with the Mak is change the barrel and you have a 380.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The one I picked up is a Bulgarian, that was built in the 90's. Here is not so good picture of it after a recent cleaning session.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a shot of one exactly like it and about the same condition.

For those interested, that lever is a de-cocking/safety lever, and when you carry it with one in the pipe, like I do, 1911 users, like I am, will feel right at home, as to draw and fire, all you do is thumb down the decocker/safety lever, and do the trigger. (Except the first round is double action pull)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts