Gunco Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was responding to a thread on Weaponeer's site and came across some AK pictures he posted. I took the liberty of stealing one. Here I have been saving pennies, buying a 1919 kit and a crank fire and duhhh - found this. It's a nice looking twin mounted AK with crankfire unit.

If the JoeKen Romanian buy materializes, I think that I have a use for two of the fixed stock kits. :naughty: I bought a couple of Tapco's Ace blanks too.

Has anyone built one of these or does anyone know a source for plans?

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have heard of these, this would be the first picture that I have actually seen. I wouldn't mind having one for the "gee whiz" factor.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Somebody here was tying to put together a group buy on them, unfortunately, I don't remember who it was.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the price of 7.62x39 (the ammo not the administrator) staying reasonable and the price of 7.62x51 rising daily, 2 AK's firing 150 rounds would cost about $12; one 1919 firing 150 (.308) would cost about $23.

I know that the experiences are different - but - why not both?

I would definitely be interested in a group buy on the setup minus the AK's. I don't have a clue to the engineering involved in the tripod, mount and crank so I can't even wild guess what a group buy price would be.

·
Registered
133 Posts
F-Troop said:

Has anyone built one of these or does anyone know a source for plans?

Did you ask him where he obtained the pics? He might very well know of the
rig's source, availability, etc.

That would be SCHWEET!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

7.62x39 thanks for the pic and the thread. Tanker06, I did not ask him in an email, I just rated the picture with the request for a group buy. Hmmmm, maybe I should. I like the stock since it kinda reminds me of an ?A6.

Then again, I have an extra MG42AA tripod. I wonder if we could design a duplex mount that would use drums as well as stick mags and fit on a tripod that is pretty inexpensive and can be used on a 1919?

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
I was the one that put up the group buy here and at Weaponeer. No one seemed interested at the time.

I thnk we could get them for about $450 each in quantity.

I have seen these up close. Pretty neat, not nearly as cool as the one pictured in the start of this link, but cool none the less.

At this time, the drums do not fit. However, they were working on changing the yolk to turn the rifles at an angle so the drums would fit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That would definatly be fun!

Remember - you CANNOT attach a motor to these things. ATF says that a crank is ok since each movement of the crank equals a single trigger pull - semi auto. Soon as you put a motor on though, it becomes an illegal MG. Same with Gatlings, as long as it is hand cranked it's ok.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I saw something similar at the Denver Event Center back in the 80's. It had 8 10-22's hooked in a circular collar with 50 round mags facing up. They fired in sequence so you had a 400 round bullet hose before you had to reload. Really it's just a basic engineering task. The expensive part is the tripod if using genuine military issue. With 2 AKs side-by-side you could build one out of 2x4s and make it work. Auto guys will know what I'm talking about. What you need is a camshaft with opposing lobes to fire each trigger twice with one revolution of the crank. A wooden dowel would work because there is no force. Think of what your finger feels when you pull the trigger. Using metal electrical conduit, dowel, and spray paint one could be built for around 20 dollars, excluding the AKs.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Joeken has an ad in the gunsnet FS forum. 1919s for $999. Sounds like a smoking deal, I cant remember if their vulcan or vector. Vulcan quality control sucks so be careful.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Tanker06,
Weaponeer has just started a group buy discussion thread for the unit. His original post stated that the unit pictured was complicated and high tech ? and therefore expensive.

Cephus, can you imagine how Thunder in the Hills would sound if a few of us brought a few of these? Ah, probably no difference in sound level but we cheap guys would have a poor man?s shot at Class III.

Anyway, this is now a possible buy.

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1239&PN=1&TPN=1

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just learned that Emory Jones of 1919 Crankfire fame built the setup and called it the Diane Feinstein Commemorative Ghetto Blaster. He answered a lot of messages wanting to know price and details. The unit has two of his crank fire units (IIRC about $300 each) and some other stuff that might make it cost $950-1000 minus the guns.

I asked if he would consider selling the plans. He's considering it.

Oh well.

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
I started a project like this in the early 80's using SKS's but never finished it. the way to do this is to bulid a mock up using door skins or plastic for flourescent lights and then make drawings of the parts and send them to a prototype shop that does cnc laser cutting. I may still have some plans for a tripod that I built for the ss .50 bmg guns I built. making a tripod is not that difficult if you have a welder.

·
Registered
522 Posts
A friend of mine built a 12 gauge gattling gun a few years back. You could clear jungle with it. If you consider the firepower from a 12 gauge with all the choices of ammo. With #9s you could mow the grass on up to slugs you could mow anything you want. The rig he build would hold over 100 shells. It was a hoot to shoot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts