Gunco Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never even shot an SKS. I have been into AK's for a couple of years now. But just started venturing into getting an SKS. I thought that it would make a good coyote rifle. I am would like to find a Chinese because of the crome bore but am also going to look at a Yugo. I am also interested in scoping this rifle.

I am a fairly short person at 5'7", so I tend to like shorter rifles. I am thinking about a carbine version of an SKS or purshasing a SKS and shortening the barrel. I have noticed that the Yugos have a grenade launcher on the end of them, how does that thing come off.

Thanks for any help or suggestions. I am also on a budget.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Have you looked at the Albanian sks. Aim did have some at some pretty reasonable prices. They have a unique upper hand grip and a chrome barrel. They also had a spike bayonet like the Chicom.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I think I read elsewhere that the Albanians are now gone. Even the Yugos seem to be drying up. It would have been nice to get one of the unissued Yugos that were up for sale recently, but they are gone too.

Not to hi-jack, but do the Russian SKS's have chrome lined barrels?

·
Registered
369 Posts
mbakercad said:
I think I read elsewhere that the Albanians are now gone. Even the Yugos seem to be drying up. It would have been nice to get one of the unissued Yugos that were up for sale recently, but they are gone too.

Not to hi-jack, but do the Russian SKS's have chrome lined barrels?

Russian SKS rifles are chrome lined. The SKS is not a good rifle to scope because there is not a good place to put a scope mount. The top cover mounts move and loose there zero very fast.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Gunbroker still lists tons on Yugos for auction. They have a large listing for the others as well. I have to agree with the Russian recomendation. Maybe even a Romanian, they were at one time considered pretty rare, I don't know about now though. I do love my Yugos, nicely made, shoots great and can't beat the look of the grenade launcher. Jack

·
Registered
825 Posts
scubadvr said:
Gunbroker still lists tons on Yugos for auction. They have a large listing for the others as well. I have to agree with the Russian recomendation. Maybe even a Romanian, they were at one time considered pretty rare, I don't know about now though. I do love my Yugos, nicely made, shoots great and can't beat the look of the grenade launcher. Jack
I have a Russian, Albanian and a couple of Yugos, but I havent shot any of them !!! I am thinking that I may have to order a couple of those cheap Yugos....if I can find room in the safe!

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I found the Yugo SKS to be a great shooter and a heck of a bargain. A very robust gun and pretty accurate.

I have a Chinese, too and it is nowhere near as well made or as stout as the Yugo.

I would like to have an Albanian for the rarity but I hear quite a number of horror stories about their condition, how they were built and how they were cared for.

I'm not a tall guy, and I have no problem with the Yugo's length.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. You have really helped me. Now I have to check out the gun stores and see what I can find.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
On the scope issue...

I've found that carefull fitting of the replacemnet cover with the mount works very well. My cover is so tight I need a tool to put the pin through. That and the side rails of the cover need to be making good contact. No one would ever win Camp Perry with my rifle, but I can really damage a target at 100 -150 yards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts