Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On of my builds has a head space problem, the bolt closes on a nogo guage. I called Global and they are out of oversized barrel pins. Any ideas? Thanks Jack

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Just curious, was it a matching numbers kit?

·
Registered
825 Posts
You can get some air or oil hardening drill rod from MSC and make your own oversize pin. I believe I used a 7/32 rod. It may pass with a "field" gauge as-is.
George

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gtbehary said:
You can get some air or oil hardening drill rod from MSC and make your own oversize pin. I believe I used a 7/32 rod. It may pass with a "field" gauge as-is.
George
Thanks George, I will check it out. Jack

·
Registered
514 Posts
Good call... matching, unmatching... who cares? The gauges speak the truth. Set that barrel back with an oversized pin (as long as you are not GROSSLY off).

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have a FIELD Gauge comimg from Clymer. I also just ordered the rods as well. The site has dec. equiv. so I think I have that covered. If it passes a FIELD then the heck with it I am good to go. Jack

·
Registered
825 Posts
scubadvr said:
I do have a FIELD Gauge comimg from Clymer. I also just ordered the rods as well. The site has dec. equiv. so I think I have that covered. If it passes a FIELD then the heck with it I am good to go. Jack
I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Can anybody give a description on how you use an oversize pin to snug up the headspace? Who knows I may need this someday and others may need it now.
Thanks for any help given.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
OG,
You press the barrel in until the rifle headspaces correctly, then drill the retaining pin hole oversized and pin.

Jack,
I used a drill bit shank on my AMD65 that did not HS correctly.
I found a letter drill that was just a c-hair larger (@.002) than the fractional drill I used for the hole.
Sorry, I don't remember what size they were. But it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Trotsky said:
Good call... matching, unmatching... who cares? The gauges speak the truth. Set that barrel back with an oversized pin (as long as you are not GROSSLY off).
Sorry to say but it "DOES" matter. If the kit was non-matching this kind of thing is expected. But on a matching number kit it shouldn't. This information let's others know that there might be a problem with their matching number kit and not to take for granted (wake-up call) that the headspace is okay. Remember, some people think that because it's matching they don't need to check headspace.

Thanks for the info scubadvr. As a side note, the gauge might be defective. A friend of mine received a Clymer .308 headspace gauge set and the "GO" was bad. It does happen.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Toten Kopf said:
Sorry to say but it "DOES" matter. .
I believe that Trotsky (and many others here have stated this before) is just saying don't take it for granted that a matching kit will headspace and that you should check all builds for headspace regardless of their origin. You are right on the money when you say that this may very well be a "wake up call" to many of us that were a little casual about "matching kits"!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Grendeljaeger said:
I believe that Trotsky (and many others here have stated this before) is just saying don't take it for granted that a matching kit will headspace and that you should check all builds for headspace regardless of their origin.
I understand and agree...

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys, may sound wierd but perhaps my current problem does have a silver lining. Anyone that has more than just a passing interest in fireams needs to know the basics. This whole thread has been a good exercise with everyones input, man do we have a good bunch of guys here! The bottom line, headspacing is a basic. I can not imagin doing a build, removing and replacing a barrel, doing bolt work, etc. without checking the headspace of the finished product. Its kind of like changing your oil in your car and checking the dip stick level before you turn the key. I can fix the problem with my weapon, the best will be to check with a FIELD gauge through oversize pin, if that fails then I have a parts donner. My boyish good looks :eek: are too important. Jack

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
The first AMD65 I did, was all matching #'s and a very nice kit (low mileage) but would swallow my no-go like it was closing on a empty chamber.

I'm still not sure why, judging by the wear on the bolt and carrier, it did not appear to have had a ton of rounds through it. But I'm sure glad I checked it before firing it

·
Registered
514 Posts
Thanks Grendeljaeger - that's EXACTLY what I'm saying... and have said. Folks, I'm so adamant about this that I check headspace on new commercial rifles :) And guess what? I've actually checked one that turned out to be out of spec. My advice remains... gauges are cheap insurance. Folks like Brownells will sell them to you without bankrupting you.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Trotsky said:
Thanks Grendeljaeger - that's EXACTLY what I'm saying... and have said. Folks, I'm so adamant about this that I check headspace on new commercial rifles :) And guess what? I've actually checked one that turned out to be out of spec. My advice remains... gauges are cheap insurance. Folks like Brownells will sell them to you without bankrupting you.
WELL SAID!!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
This is why I asked for an explanation on how to use an oversize pin in adjusting headspace. When an important question is asked you guys get together and post great answers. This is our strength, our combined knowledge on the fundamentals of our hobby. We?re from different lines of expertise and we all pool our skills to help others and in the process we can save them from making mistakes and possibly getting hurt.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
scubadvr said:
Thanks for the input Max. I will check out the letter C drill as well.
Jack,

I think you may have misread my post, it says c-hair, not size C.
IIRC it was a J, but I can't swear to it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts