Gunco Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have recomended this here too. I wish someone would buy one and give us a review, not just oppinion but an experianced hands on review. I think the only downfall is it is lift arc, but that is not a real problem , like anything it is differant and only takes practise

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I have used on of these. A friend has one. Pretty nice little machine. He uses it on small stuff, I don't know if he's tried anything bigger. I've personally used it to weld 1/16 aluminum with no problems. I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
their you go guys . now you can have TIG for the price of a mig. once you get used to the control of tig you will have no need for a mig again

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
That's the only time I'd ever used a TIG, so I don't know what to tell you in comparison to the other type, but I liked it. The guy I know has even used it on sheet metal. Like you said though, it did take a little getting used to.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Preacher, you must be a pretty good welder to do 1/16 aluminum.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I'm no expert by any means. It held, just don't know how pretty I'd call it. I always practice on scrap peices to get everything adjusted right before I start my finished product. TIG is really neat especially if is one you can turn down low. If you have clean and even joints, you don't even need any filler rod.

I'll have to post pics of the dump bed me and my brother built for our truck. Solid aluminum, but we used a mig with a spool gun for this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I thought that this little tig was DC only. It looks like it is a great little machine online and in the photos. So one day I was in the Harrisburg pa store and they had only one there. Not for sale just display.

My 2 cents is that it would be a great little machine for recievers and thin sheet steel. But nothing thicker then 16 gauge. And by the only one I seen (DC only) the welds in aluminum would never hold any pressure ( need AC to tig aluminum properly). Good inverter tigs are around $1000. And there only DC, AC inverter tigs go for over $2500 to start. So you can be the judge of the quality of the machine.

Harbor Frieght also has a little spool gun mig. It looks good but it is strickly flux core wire. There was no hook ups for any gas. And its lowist setting was 30 amp. A little to high for thin sheet metals.

The spot welders are hobarts that didnt pass final quality inspection or are rebuilt machines. There is nothing wrong with them, Just dont carry the hobart warrenty.

Also they have 24 inch bolt cutters on sale for 8.98. For those that want to build rivet crimpers.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I would expect the lifespan of this unit to be very low.. I'd guess it would never survive a day of real welding.. It may be fine for tiging in rails???? I would guess the control to be very sloppy, and have no were near a consistant output.. Rated duty cyle is in the average range for a low cost machine, but again this may be a overstated spec.. I would not push it much past 15-20% without a cool down..

I guess if HF gauruntes it, it might be worth a try.. But if you can afford a better machine, by all means, buy that one.. May I suggest a Miller...

Let me state, the above comments are all just guesses. I am a firm beliver in "You get what you pay for..".. YMMV

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
actually if i were going to buy one it wouldn't be that one..i'm too spoiled with the ones we have at work..probably get a Lincoln or Hobart they are both pretty nice..

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
mike I have to agree with you. most likely not a commercial machine , but the average home shop I would think it would last a long time. welding rails or filling reciever holes should never heat it up. I think you will find miller makes a small machine in this price range too. maby $300 and it WILL come with the true blue guarentee. my first miller was $1000 new and only weighed 13 pounds. I see guys work them all day day after day. maby a great middel of the road would be the $300 miller. WAY better than a mig and true blue too, you can not go wrong!!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Hotbarrel, don't know how i left miller off my list of welders. thats what we use at work. they work real nice too.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
We have a Miller 185 and have used the guts out of that thing. That's what we used to make our dump bed. Good machines. The HF machine we've been talking about, like I said I'm no expert, but it does work good on small stuff. Never tried anything bigger. My buddy caught it on sale, I can't remember what for but do remember it was less than this price. One thing about HF, if you're in no hurry, wait a month or two and it'll be on sale agian.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that the only Hobart or Miller that even comes close to the price of the HF is the Miller Maxstar 150 at $800.00 or the Lincoln Invertec for around $1500. The price is the only thing that has kept me from buying a TIG welder. I can handle $200.00 though.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Cambell Hausfeld is also making an inversion machine that is compatable for TIG. It is about $300 and has an infinate output range from as low as 3AMPS to as high as 125 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
823 Posts
you couldn't give me a hobart or lincoln welder..if it ain't a miller it aint in my shop period!

when I went through welding school they had high end licoln welders and a few hobarts among the Miller units, I used them all over the course of two odd years and after that I won't even think about using anything but a miller given the choice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts