Gunco Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title pretty much says it, wondering if a headspacing in in order on my East German AKM parts kit with non-matching part #'s. I plan on removing the barrel to completly remove the old rivits, but will probably put it back together with screw. TIA!

·
Registered
582 Posts
sharky47 said:
Title pretty much says it, wondering if a headspacing in in order on my East German AKM parts kit with non-matching part #'s. I plan on removing the barrel to completly remove the old rivits, but will probably put it back together with screw. TIA!
Headspacing before you remove the barrel is a good idea. I had three I/O non matching kits and headspaced all three. Luckily they all were within specs.

I also headspaced after reinserting the barrel. Even if you do a screw build, the barrel has to be replaced and repinned. It seemed that just pushing the barrel on until the barrel pin hole lined up perfectly with the groove in the barrel worked well. Headspace was dead on.

It gave me confidence when I let my brother in law be the first one to test fire one of them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks - I figured that the smart thing is to just go ahead and do it, better safe than sorry. Now I need to find someone in central Texas to lend or rent me some 7.62 guages. I was trying to get a "tech session" together in the Austin/Fredericksburg area together over on the AR15.com boards, but things mover REALLY slow over there.

I have plenty of space here at the garage for something like that, maybe I'll post a separate thread for that to see if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
We had several members here that had their "matching number kit" fail the No-Go test. I think that started a wave of checking the headspace even if it was matching numbers.

Your right to be safe that sorry.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The only kit Ive ever had that failed the headspace test was a matching numbers kit.Go figure that one out.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
shadow29483 said:
Matching or no matching numbers.
It should still be done.
Amen to that!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
head space is a critical part of every build.

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
I have started checking all of the builds I have, and even the factory built guns (chinese).
I have found a couple peices of information that could be of use to someone.
I have checked a couple NEW demil kits and found that the bolt would not close on the NO-GO or the GO, yet would close on a LIVE ROUND.
This is because the euro guages have more tolerences then the american ones do.

I had a I/O kit that was mismatching, my first build. I screwed it together.
I had my local smith check the headspace and would not close on GO or NO-GO.
Yet it closed fine on LIVE ROUNDS. So I took it to the local range.
Blasted 100 rounds out of it with NO problems, and NO case deformations. I had it GUNKOTED, and the screws filled in, and sold it at the local show.

I had a Bulgy AK-74 kit do the same thing.
I believe that you need to worry about 2 things most on AK's concerning headspace
(1) Bolt lockup - will the bolt lock up on a live round?
(2) Headspace using a NO-GO guage - need to make sure that the bolt will NOT lock-up on the NO-GO guage.

If you have done the above checks then I would say it is safe to fire the weapon.
A 7.62x39 round does not have near the pressures that a 5.56x45 round has.
Also most surplus ammo is steel cased. The cases will not deform which is also a blessing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts