Gunco Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be presseing in my barrel soon and was wondering if I have to headspace it since its a matching numbers kit?
shouldn't the barrel pin line it all back up perfectly?
I mean the thing should be right since the holes didn't move when I pressed the barrel out right?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Did you headspace it before you removed the barrel? If you did and it checked good it should be the same when you put it back together.

If you didn't then you'll have to do when the barrel is installed, hoping that's it's okay. If it doesn't check out, you got work to do.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no I didn't check it before I pressed it out.

what sux is I havent got any guages for 5.45. do most smiths have these in case I have to go have it checked?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
vegeta said:
no I didn't check it before I pressed it out.

what sux is I havent got any guages for 5.45. do most smiths have these in case I have to go have it checked?
I would think that because the 5.45X39 is non-standard, a gunsmith wouldn't have it. The gauges are very expensive, $120.00 for a Go/NoGo set. Unlike standard calibers which are $52.00 for a set.

Best bet is to try and find someone who will rent the gauges. I remember someone posting that they will rent the gauges.

I think this is the place but not sure. I thought that he had a website also.

Newton Firearms and Accessories
[email protected] (918)687-7802
Kalashnikov Parts, Accessories & Shop Services

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks I'll see what I decide to do then when the time comes.

I think I recall someone who sold the 5.45 set for $60 though.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't know if this is a fluke or not but I pulled a pin and barrel on a amd 65. Got it back together and found excessive headspace. Granted it was a non matching numbered kit bit I didn't check before . After careful examination after taking out the pin again I found that the first time there was quite a bit of galling in one spot on one side of the hole. I cleaned it out and re installed the pin. It was still tight as hell pressing in the pin and when I again checked the headspace it was OK. The only thing I can think of is that the first time when the pin went in the galling prevented the barrel from going back to the proper position. Got me stumped but I WILL keep an eye on the headspace checking it every 5-10 rounds or so until I am satisfied that everything is as it should be.
Anyone have any other thoughts????

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
vegeta said:
ok thanks I'll see what I decide to do then when the time comes.

I think I recall someone who sold the 5.45 set for $60 though.

Your right, the link is below. Last time I checked thry didn't have any (in process of buying some).

http://bentmetal.homestead.com/bentmetal.html

Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah thats the guy.

hope he has some left by the time it takes me to save up the $60
(lost my job{quit actually} and had to go back to sheetrock finishing).
just hope he dosent sell out..

·
Registered
517 Posts
gunnysmith said:
Always headspace
please
:thumbup1:

I would have to agree. Nothing wrong with dotting I's and crossing T's when your dealing with something that could explode your face. Better anal then dead, IMO.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just an update:

I finished the build and put the crosspin back it its original place and then with the internals removed hand cycled a few rounds from a mag.
it locks up correctly and feeds great maually. also closes like it should so headspace should be correct.
I will pull the pin on the grenade either tomarrow or tuesday to check for sure.
if it feeds a couple of 30 rnders without going ka-boom I got it.
( I like to check for function about 20 feet away and fire remotely with string)
I'll let you guys know if it worked or if I need to build another one after buying guages...:eek:

·
Registered
514 Posts
With one single round...

Please, find the extracted case... look for it. Check for any bulging near the rim, and for any splitting at the neck. A fired case will tell you a great deal about your gun, if you can read the message it delivers.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Trotsky said:
With one single round...

Please, find the extracted case... look for it. Check for any bulging near the rim, and for any splitting at the neck. A fired case will tell you a great deal about your gun, if you can read the message it delivers.
Words of wisdom...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts