Gunco Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was over at my Dad's house this weekend cleaning one of my guns with Break-Free like I have since the mid-1990's. After a while he began to complain that the fumes were making him sick at his stomach. I had to open some windows to get the fumes out.

I've used Break-Free for years because the stuff is great, but I don't want to endanger my health or that of others.

Are there any healthy gun cleaners/lubricants/preservatives? :dunno:

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Break free makes me want to vomit also. The smell is so sickly sweet.

There is always the boiling hot water trick, but it's messy and it still needs to be followed up with oil of some sort.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I just make sure I do the work in my garage, toward the open doors and get plenty of ventilation.

I wish I could come up with a good way to protect my hands and still handle the small parts and such. My hands really take a beating and get spits and cracks that really hurt considering they are so darn small.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Custer said:
I just make sure I do the work in my garage, toward the open doors and get plenty of ventilation.

I wish I could come up with a good way to protect my hands and still handle the small parts and such. My hands really take a beating and get spits and cracks that really hurt considering they are so darn small.
THIS problem I solved a long time ago. Not wanting to put my sweaty hands on iron gun parts that could rust, I started using rubber surgical gloves available at any drugstore. Make SURE you get the POWDER-FREE type or you'll have talcum powder all over your weapon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts