Gunco Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some cheep used east german ak-74 mags ($3.75 each delivered) to try and modify before I try some that are a little more pricey. I've heard discussion about how to convert them. Can somebody post a picture with arrows pointing to mod locations? I have pictures but I have no place to store the pictures to link to them.

It should be noted that the mags will not lock into place. I found a picture of where I need to modify the sholder area of the magazine, but does anybody have an idea of how what I should adjust to get it to lock? Also do I need to add some material on the back of the follower?

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
It all depends on what weapon you are trying to fit (unlike 7.62X39 & 5.54X39 there is no standard in 5.56) Each country has a slightly different feed angle and so you must fit them to the gun you will use. The German STG mags work for certain rifles and the Bulgarian and Chinese for others. Even though Galil mags fit in a Valmet they feed at a different angle and can cause the bullet to hit the top of the chamber and be pushed back into the cartridge case and cause higher chamber pressures. I would find the mag that fits and feeds and copy its front and rear lug profile. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grendeljaeger said:
It all depends on what weapon you are trying to fit (unlike 7.62X39 & 5.54X39 there is no standard in 5.56) Each country has a slightly different feed angle and so you must fit them to the gun you will use. The German STG mags work for certain rifles and the Bulgarian and Chinese for others. Even though Galil mags fit in a Valmet they feed at a different angle and can cause the bullet to hit the top of the chamber and be pushed back into the cartridge case and cause higher chamber pressures. I would find the mag that fits and feeds and copy its front and rear lug profile. I hope this helps.
I have a few steel norninco mags that came with it. There seem to be three issues with using the EG bakelite mags

1) It doesn't lock into place, the rear tang will probably need to be filed down a bit to fit, even the original steel mag is TIGHT.
2) the feed opening near the bullet sholder is wider on the steel mag then the bakeline 5.45 mag. I'll try grinding this out a bit with a dremil.
3) the followers are different at the front. The steel ones ridge runs the whole length of the follower while the EG followers does not. Does this make a difference? Does somebody have a close up picture of robarms 5.56 follower?

Where can I purchase say 10 .223 dummy rounds. I don't reload and don't want to use live ammo.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
if this is a norinco rifle, have you tried the 5.56 waffle mags? Some have reported good results using the waffle mags. I also have some info saved about converting wieger mags to work in a saiga rifle. I can post it if needed.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to get started on this, but after some reading I found out that you are not supposed to modify them between calibers or weapons. Oh well, i need a 5.45 gun now!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
meyerse said:
I was going to get started on this, but after some reading I found out that you are not supposed to modify them between calibers or weapons. Oh well, i need a 5.45 gun now!

Law or mechanics?

If it still fits and functions on the original rifle there is no problem with the law.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gunnysmith said:
Law or mechanics?

If it still fits and functions on the original rifle there is no problem with the law.

Okay, then I guess I still better buy a 5.45 gun to make sure it works!
OH, and stop trying to talk me out of it!

Thanks, I guess I'm not making enough of a mod to keep it from working in the original gun so I should be okay with the law.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts