Gunco Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we've been down this road before, but I think I've discovered a problem that might need to be addressed. I have the tapco "center support bushing" which is nothing more than a piece of metal tubing with a hole in the middle of it. I also have the rails from Tapco. So I took some measurements, because I wasn't sure how I was going to do the following. Basically, you put the Tapco rivet through and then hammer the end opposite the end with the head to make another head which will keep the rivet from backing out and also keep the center support bushing in place. This is where I got concerned...because I didn't know when I would need to stop hammering to get the total width at 1.25'' (so that it's identical to the receiver dismensions). Well here's how the numbers came out.

Tapco center support bushing length: 1.175''
Rail with ejector width:.060''
Other Rail width:.035''

Keeping in mind that the bushing goes on the outside surfaces of the lower rails, so you have to add these thicknesses to the center support length. In my mind this should all add up to 1.250''. If you add these up, it comes to 1.270'' which is too wide by .020''. What do you guys think? These are all Tapco products I'm using. I don't have any problem grinding the center support down, but I figured these things would all add up to 1.250''.

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Josh--

As has been stated before, measure then cut.

because the welds add a little bit, I tend to go about 10 thousands short.

How's this for an idea? Put in the rails, measure the distance, and cut to fit.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Winn R said:
Josh--

As has been stated before, measure then cut.

because the welds add a little bit, I tend to go about 10 thousands short.

How's this for an idea? Put in the rails, measure the distance, and cut to fit.
Winn,

Sounds good to me. This wasn't really the hard part as far as figuring out what to do. But, I figured given the dismensions I listed above, that Tapco wouldn't send the center support out too long. But your point it well taken. If they cut it to the length that fits with the rais they sell, then no one else would be able to use the bushing if their rails weren't from Tapco, unless their rails were the same width or larger. So I guess I understand why they made it a little longer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts