Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I disassemble an AK extractor to look for a broken spring?

If the spring is not damaged, is there any other tell tale sings of damage that I should be looking for.

(Fyi, I am having a failure to feed problem)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Custer said:
How do I disassemble an AK extractor to look for a broken spring?

If the spring is not damaged, is there any other tell tale sings of damage that I should be looking for.

(Fyi, I am having a failure to feed problem)
Failure to feed should be magazine-related; failure to extract would be the extractor.

However, here's how to detail-strip the bolt. The most important thing to remember is that the pins only go out and back in through ONE side. Note on the ejector slot side of the bolt there is a "window" where you can see the extractor pin and firing pin retaining pin. You want to push the firing pin out toward the extractor and the extractor retaining pin out through this "window".

Push the firing pin retaining pin out with the punch in your cleaning kit by pushing it in the direction of the extractor. The punch in your cleaning kit is made for this. If you use another tool, make sure the shank is the same diameter or you may bugger the punch-out hole and the pin my fall out even when the bolt is assembled. Sometimes the pin is a little obstinate, so a little bit of gentle tapping is okay here.

Next, you push the extractor retaining pin out through the "window" in the bolt. Note that the extractor retaining pin has a groove for the firing pin retaining pin. When you reassemble the extractor, make sure this groove is visible through the bolt "window" previously discussed, and that it is oriented so that the larger "step" on this groove is toward the front of the bolt.

You will have to push in on the extractor to get the extractor pin back in. Once the extractor pin is in all the way, you are ready to reinstall the firing pin. Note that the firing pin has a little "step" on one side to allow clearance for the firing pin retaining pin. This "step" needs to face the ejector slot as the firing pin is reinstalled. Then reinstall the firing pin retaining pin. A little gentle tapping is okay, but if it won't go back in, then something is out of alighnment. Either the groove in the extractor pin is not lined up properly, or the firing pin is not lined up properly. DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE FORCE.

Attachments

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Zoid. I looke forward to the pictures.

I've sort of concluded failure to feed as the round is being pushed up; i.e. bullet nose up in the air and then the casing is gouged on the side and stuck.

I've tried a number of different mags and different Wolf ammo. All of which were previously 100% reliable.

·
Registered
621 Posts
What kind of rifle is it? There may be issues with the bullet guide, i.e., the round may be hanging up between the magazine and the chamber.

Some AK's that were converted from single-stack to double-stack rifles have this problem. You might look for a burr or something on the edge of the bullet guide that faces the magazine.

It's hard to diagnose over the internet!

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ZOID ZODIAN said:
What kind of rifle is it? There may be issues with the bullet guide, i.e., the round may be hanging up between the magazine and the chamber.

Some AK's that were converted from single-stack to double-stack rifles have this problem. You might look for a burr or something on the edge of the bullet guide that faces the magazine.

It's hard to diagnose over the internet!
It is a 1987 Prochine pre ban. Predecessor to Norinco.

Never had the problem before and I've done no work on it.

Round stands straight up in the chamber.

I'll look for a burr....but not exactly sure where.

·
Registered
621 Posts
This IS a tough one, especially since it's worked fine all these years. I'm thinking that the next thing to look for is a broken or worn out recoil spring.

Often, when one of the recoil buffers is installed to the recoil spring guide it causes short-stroking problems, have you installed a recoil buffer recently?

If not, look for a problem in the recoil mechanism that might be causing the weapon to not have the normal "oompf" to chamber a new round.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is all OEM parts. Never added a thing or changed a thing.

I am going to fool with the bolt and extractor on my lunch hour here at work.

I was looking at the extractor in the bolt and wonder if it is off center?

In other words, the extractor seems to be down from the top of the bolt just a tad. It is not flush/evenly spaced. I can press it up and make it fairly flush and even with the top of the bolt. Makes me wonder if something in side is broken or somehow got knocked off center.

Not sure if that description makes sense.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Custer said:
It is all OEM parts. Never added a thing or changed a thing.

I am going to fool with the bolt and extractor on my lunch hour here at work.

I was looking at the extractor in the bolt and wonder if it is off center?

In other words, the extractor seems to be down from the top of the bolt just a tad. It is not flush/evenly spaced. I can press it up and make it fairly flush and even with the top of the bolt. Makes me wonder if something in side is broken or somehow got knocked off center.

Not sure if that description makes sense.
From your description it sounds like a healthy extractor (NOW I REALLY FEEL LIKE A DOCTOR!). If you push up or in on the extractor and it springs back into place, it and the spring should be okay.

You said you're having failures to feed. I'm thinking we should look more for something in the area of what is happening as the round is chambered. I believe the round's rim does not go under the extractor until the round is in the chamber pretty far, so this makes me think it's not the extractor.

I'm still thinking it's a problem either with a burr causing the round to veer off of center improperly as it's chambered, or a problem with the return mechanism causing it to short-stroke. Have you checked everything in the path of the bolt and bolt carrier to make sure that a burr somewhere hasn't started causing problems? Have you checked the recoil assembly, especially the spring?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll bet to the extractor today and take a look. Ran out of time yesterday.

I guess I look the receiver over as best I can for burrs. What would be the likely areas for a problem?

As far as the spring, it looks ok, but I am not sure what subtle damage to look for there.

Doctor Zoid, I really appreciate your help and advice. Many thanks.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the bolt assembly apart.

I've never taken it apart before, so I have nothing to compare.

However, I am wondering if the extractor is showing some wear that could be the problem.

If you position it so the round, half moon part is up and then look at the edges, both far side edges show some wear. Again, maybe this is normal.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Custer said:
I have the bolt assembly apart.

I've never taken it apart before, so I have nothing to compare.

However, I am wondering if the extractor is showing some wear that could be the problem.

If you position it so the round, half moon part is up and then look at the edges, both far side edges show some wear. Again, maybe this is normal.
When I looked at your rifle at the shoot I never thought about it having extraction issues. That could be the issue as to why the next round wasn't feeding right it the casing of the last one was getting in the way.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sang, what would a "good'" front of extractor edges look like?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
It should be good and sharp with no pits of chunks taken out of it. The edge should not be worn down or dull (overly rounded is what I mean).

Maybe someone else has a good pic or I'll try to dig one up.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cephus said:
I'll try to help .All the extractors I've ever saw should have crisp sharpe edges to clean these up I use a small stone ( not a rock they are at brownell Iuse the tri edge ones in dif sizes) If the spring is weak it will cause this problem, it should be stiff almost to the point that it hurts your finger to move it all the way out.AS far as the underside goes again all the ones i've seen it is sharpe and not rounded. I hope this helps I always use the stones so I can go slow and mess things with alot of refiting,Good luck and keep at it. :)
Well, just took a triangular file and sharpened up the edges. I worry about less metal, but maybe that will help.

Weather permitting, I'll give it a try this weekend.

If that does not work, guess I'll become a customer of Numrich.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, that did not solve the problem.

I am now thinking Zoid was right and the problem is with the recoil spring.

I looked it over after shooting yesterday and while it looks ok, it is, as best I can describe it, a bit "floppy".

Not sure what to look for in a bad recoil spring.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Custer said:
Well, that did not solve the problem.

I am now thinking Zoid was right and the problem is with the recoil spring.

I looked it over after shooting yesterday and while it looks ok, it is, as best I can describe it, a bit "floppy".

Not sure what to look for in a bad recoil spring.
Unfortunately, it's hard to diagnose things over the internet. Recoil springs are relatively inexpensive if I remember correctly. Being that we are now getting ready to "try different remedies and see what works," the recoil spring is one of the least expensive replacement parts out there.

Let me know if you need disassembly instructions (Gulp).

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ZOID ZODIAN said:
Unfortunately, it's hard to diagnose things over the internet. Recoil springs are relatively inexpensive if I remember correctly. Being that we are now getting ready to "try different remedies and see what works," the recoil spring is one of the least expensive replacement parts out there.

Let me know if you need disassembly instructions (Gulp).
Zoid, Custer is a dumb ass.

Actually, I had a dream about my AK last night. I guess it's malfunctions have been weighing on my mind...

Anyway, part of the dream was that I looked into the bolt carrier where the recoil spring is inserted and found that a piece of cloth was stuck in there from cleaning it out.

When I got up at 5:00 a.m. today, I looked in there with the aid of a flashlight, and sure enough, there is some paper towel wedged in there from a cleaning session.

I have to assume that is the culprit....not allowing the spring to function properly. Hopefully I have not damaged the spring in the process, but at least I know the cause.

I feel pretty dumb at this point, but I guess it's not the first or last time in my life that will happen.

Kinda shows cleaning AK's can be more of a problem than leaving them alone!

Thanks to you and everyone else for the help and patience.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Thank you, Custer, for saving me from having to surf the net for a bunch of photos on recoil mechanism disassembly, download them, add little arrows and instructions to them in Paint, and then upload them to this website.

I am TRULY grateful (no, really). :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts