Gunco Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Thanks Pogo. I'm downloading it now.

BTW: What's with the validation process?

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Preacher said:
Thanks Pogo. I'm downloading it now.

BTW: What's with the validation process?
Just click on continue w/o validating.....they want to know more about you, that's all

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but it seems my computer is running a lot faster on the net. :)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Guys, lets be careful with this. Please keep in mind it's a beta, unfinished software released for testing. I just ran it on my work machine and it decided that part of my microsoft resource kit ( used by geeks like me to manage and fix other people's pc's, among other things) was a trojan horse. It's not, of course, it's a Microsoft product! So.......BE CAREFUL what you allow it to remove. Most of the stuff it finds is going to be spyware, cut and dried, no question. However, if you don't know what it is, be sure and expand the little file tree to see where whatever it is lives. If it's in some other program you use, I wouldn't remove it.
The EULA states you are pretty much on your own if you kill your machine or any programs thereon and microsoft isn't responsible for your not knowing what it's removing.....Which is standard for beta stuff.
Use at your own risk. (NOTE: Mozilla Firefox is free, and spyware free......looks and acts a lot like IE....hint, hint.)

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can see that it could be a problem. It will probably always be a potential problem because new software is always being developed and could be confused with being a trojan.

I checked each item that was being removed, and didn't have any legit programs identified as spyware. But, you should check each item before it's removed.

I've used Firefox, Mozilla, and Netscape and just don't like them. I've also used Opera, but don't like it either. It's just a personal thing with me, and some websites don't work well with them. I do use Netscape Communicator for email though.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
If you have a program that allows you to go into other people's computers to fix their problems......the configuration is similar to that of a trojan horse, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
aviator said:
If you have a program that allows you to go into other people's computers to fix their problems......the configuration is similar to that of a trojan horse, isn't it?
Yeah, of a sort, except that this is a Microsoft application and really should be recognized as a valid app.
That's why they release betas, to iron out problems. I turned on the reporting feature so Microsoft can see what it's picking up and what it should be seeing and what it should be ignoring.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
I have Pest Patrol, is that a very good program?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Actually it's NOT an MS app.
They just bought the company (Giant Software)and the 11 guys that work there. That's where the conflict on the Beta comes in - besides some apps are going to post maybe a false positive due to the way they are written. Say "Kodak Easyshare" software.
This app installs a big no no on your machine called "BackWeb"
which is an easy exploit for even script kiddies. But can be used for valid purposes too. So not allowing access through the firewall
is whereyou control it. For instance.
So there are a number of apps that cut the development time by utilizing tried and true "unsecure code" or pieces of programs.
That is what Giant is picking up sometimes. Most of the tests have not shown a high degree of false positives. Thanks Pogo
I saw it yesterday but was waiting for some feedback on the net.
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/ms_antispyware_preview.asp

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I followed CammoBunker's advice a week or so ago on spyware removal. I already had Adaware and Spybot, but added Bazooka on his advice. Works well for me. Microsoft only picked up two peices of spyware, but it had been a day since I ran the others. I usually get a few peices of spyware every time I surf.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Thanks for the link. I already run spy-bot and Spysweeper, but having another layer of protection is always good.

I ran the beta and removed both spyware and adware. Everytime I use the internet, it seems I pick up some, usually the same ones I already removed.

I noticed my cookies folder has quite a bit in it. I'm tempted to deleted almost everything in it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts