Gunco Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the old Nancy Sinatra song, "these boots are made for walking". :lol:

If any of you'all are looking for a decent price on boots or Western wear, this is a great website: http://www.sheplers.com/

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I got a pair in that style, but shiny black. They belonged to my best friend that was killed in 1991 and he only wore them once. We were the same size and his parents gave me a lot of his stuff. I keep them nice and wear them on special occassions.

Funny how a post will remind you of something. Nice boots!

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Yeah Sang, I got an Earnhardt shirt the same way that I wouldn't trade for love nor money. I know where your coming from.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
sks_hunter said:
are the pointy toes really for squashing the cockroaches that go into the corner?
I thought Fred Sanford types weren't allowed here?

:lolup: :lol: :lolup: :lol: :lolup: :lol: :kick:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Nice looking pair of boots Pogo! I've got some western-style boots but I might as well be ice skating, I just can't get used to those smooth soles. If I can find a pair like these with some speed laces I'll have some serious stompin' boots.:hdbng:

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Evil_WalksII said:
Nice looking pair of boots Pogo! I've got some western-style boots but I might as well be ice skating, I just can't get used to those smooth soles. If I can find a pair like these with some speed laces I'll have some serious stompin' boots.:hdbng:
Kulien's Hand Made Shoes
611 Tower Ave.
Centralia, WA* 98531
360-736-6943
(no web addy I could find)

These guys have been hand making boots for Northwest Lumberjacks since there have been Northwest lumberjacks. They take plaster casts of your feet and make a pair of shoes or boots for you that wont feel right to anyone else. There shoes start at around $400 these days, or so I hear.
Another cheaper alternative if you want stompers is a pair of Westco's which cost me over $250 ten years ago when I bought mine. With the steel-toe they're heavy enough to kick holes in cinderblock, glass brick, and go through wooden doors like they are paper. ( I was a naughty lad ) They also make you the most hated person in a mosh pit.

Unless you actually are a lumberjack, timber cruiser or surveyor, however I wouldn't recommend the corked (pronounced "cocked") soles. ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey, thanks Pogo I found my youngest one's Christmas present on that sight. Kid's grandparents bought him his first pair of cowboy boots this summer and he has absolutely worn them to death. Just what my 6'4" 16 year old needed, a set of heels, :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Very Cool! Thanks for the info D.B.! Plaster casts? Guess I'll have to write and check that out, it's actually very interesting if there were a way to go about it via mail. The boots pictured are Rocky's, they used to do some custom fitting here but I'm pretty sure that went by the wayside when they took the bulk of their production overseas. I've got narrow feet and a short (once severely broken) leg and they built me a fine pair of work boots that lasted longer than any other pair I've owned. Custom costs more but if the quality and comfort are there it's well worth it. I've been looking at snake boots, they would certainly suit my weekend escapades both in the wild and in the city but nowdays almost all are camo-pattern Gortex. I can live with the Gortex even though I prefer leather, I just don't care for the look of camo boots. (I suppose they would like just fine if I was in the habit of wearing Realtree clothing other than my discount raingear...)

Yeah, I definitely think I can do without the "corked" soles! I'm no lumberjack, still dig "the pit" but I try to keep towards the outer edges as my youth slowly escapes me.:biggrin:

Thanks again, I'll shoot Kulien's a letter of inquiry.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many people overlook how important it is to wear proper fitting shoes and boots. Some think "close" is good enough. Ignoring ill fitting footwear can lead to spine problems and joint problems later on. Most people continue wearing boots long after the arch support has broken down, and that is a bad idea. Take care of your feet or they will give out on you some day. :p

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I have a nice pair of Justin's that my nephew in Dallas gave me and also a fancy pair of soft leather boots my daughter gave me.

I wear 'em depending on my mood.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I can't resist....
How far did you have to chase the Sasquatch to get those boots off his feet?
:lol:

I used to have a similar pair that was made from ostrich hide. They were the nicest boots I had owned, until my wife got herself a dog, and he found that he had a liking for them. he chewed them to pieces in an afternoon.:wallbash: I no longer have the boots, or the dog. I need to get another pair like them, but I'm doubtful that I'll find another pair like them for the money I paid.:bawling:
I may have to check out the place where you got yours (after Christmas).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts