Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Excuse me sir, are you just playing dead, or do you intend
to kill me? Here is a link to the video - Click here.

Marines entered a Fallujah Mosque used by snipers and gunmen. There were several injured. Weapons were present, including RPGs. One marine points at an insurgent and warns, "He's not dead. He's playing f:censored:d dead!" Another marine levels a rifle at the insurgent's head and fires. "He's dead now." An embedded NBC reporter captures the Kodak moment on tape. Now, it's supposed to be another Abu Gharib! Marines are executing unarmed innocents!

My opinion is it's bullshit. Why should the marine assume the "insurgent" was unarmed? Those people have a history of booby trapping bodies, and they are sworn to kill Americans, believing Allah will bless them with virgins in paradise. Must marines turn insurgents over, or should they ask them, "Excuse me sir, I noticed you're playing dead. Have you any weapons? You're not trying to kill any of us, are you?"

Those young men volunteered to risk life and limb for us, and it speaks poorly of NBC that they would slant the incident to further hurt America's image, and that of our servicemen.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Yup, fanatics of any kind cannot be trusted to play nice when captured. In WWII the Marines had possum patrol after a battle. Each Japanese soldier got a bullet to the head if they looked like they could be slightly wounded because tehy often booby trapped themselves.

Did you see the part about how an insurgent had done this to the same Marine the day before? The article said he had been wounded in the face by an insurgent playing dead the day before.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Yep, the press and media screwed us in VN. I think the media should be kept out of any AO where combat is taking place. That poor Marine will probably get screwed all because some a**hole reporter wanted a shocking story.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Like Kerry and the Dems, they think this war is like policing urban crime in the US.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I saw some article on another board stating the insurgent was just an "Innocent Iraqi" ! Suuuuuuuuuuure he was.

They just said last week that the insurgents were executing innocent Iraqi's then booby-trapping their bodies. Sounds to me like that Marine did the right thing and I think the media is taking this way out of proportion (as usual).

Guess it's ok to behead people though. :rolleyes:

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
The Marines had already had Iraqis pretend to surrender or play dead till they got close and then turn over or raise up and shoot, and as Sang points out this Marine had already had this happen to him. This is war not some freakin tennis match and the press better realize this. I'm praying for this poor kid.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The audio clip that I heard one Marine shouted , " He's moving ! He's faking it !" , followed by a burst of full auto fire. The reporter imbedded with the Marines then shouts , " These guys are wounded ! They have been here since yesterday ! " , and then I believe , the reporter shouted that the wounded were unarmed.

After the reporter tells this to the Marine that fired the shots , the Marine says, "I'm sorry sir , I did not know that. "

My first impression of the audio , was that the Marines entered the building that had several bodies laying around the room , the Marines thought that they were dead bodies , one of the 'dead' bodies started to move , and the Marine fired.

Given the suicide bomber mentality of the 'soldiers' of that region , I would think that what the Marine did was prudent and reasonable.

Part of the problem is that WAR and killing during wartime , is being judged by a civilian mentality. The warrior saw a threat and ended it. The civilian mindset saw a 'wounded' 'guy' twitch and get 'murdered' , for a seemingly innocuous action.

REPORTERS SHOULD NOT BE THERE.

I hope that the Marine is cleared and this incident is forgotten.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
There are a few repoters like Greg Kelly, Ollie North, Scott Rudder that have military back grounds. These guys know what's up and there are a few civillians like Palkot and Harrigan that understand. Funny how they are all Fox news guys. I'm sue a few good reporters have shileded us from what would be called casualties of war. Not a nice business, but that's the way it is.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I watched it a couple of times on a CBS affiliate in the middle of the night. I didn't notice a burst of automatic fire as mentioned, it sounded more like a single shot to me but given we're talking M-16's it very well could have been a burst.

According to the same station, a Marine from the same unit had been killed by a booby-trapped body the previous day. (Haven't caught any coverage yet today, flu bugs had my body clock all screwed up) This is war, people get killed. That's how it works

I agree in that it's a war and the man was a viable threat to everyone in that building (including the reporter). I saw an ironic cartoon in the paper last week, a guy looking watching t.v. calls out to his wife, "It must be serious honey, CNN is embedded". I'm torn on the issue of embedded reporters as I've enjoyed alot of the coverage they provide. It's certainly an issue my opinion will never have a bearing on anyway. My thought is that battlefield footage could easily be sorted and provided by the military at their discretion from those helmet-cams.

Let's hope the Marine is cleared and the reporter reprimanded.:salute:

EDIT: Having had the opportunity to view this again it was indeed a small burst of fire, nothing in the way of over-kill though. I'm not so sure I'd have shown that kind of restraint...

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have to ask why do they let a cameraman go along when there my be live fire? Keep the jerks back till after the fighting is over, till then they can cover the fighting from a distance. Why should a soldier have to risk his life to protect a man that?s there to dig up dirt and twist the story so the soldiers look bad? As far as this soldier shooting the wounded fucker on the floor, I say shoot him again just to make sure! If the world doesn?t like it, screw them! They?re not there and have no idea what it?s like to fight a war with your life on the line. They should thank the man for not wasting ammo; he shot only the one live bastard. I probably would have opened up with full-auto when I came in the door and shot them all just for safeties sake.
Yep! Kerry thinks that this is a police action and his wife gave away their ideas of what they would let happen here when she answered a question about the train bombings in Spain. She said that the people in Europe have lived with terrorism for many years and that Americans will have to learn to live with it too. I guess when Mr. Kerry said he?d kill the terrorist?s he meant after they come here and kill Americans and blowup what they want.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm so sick of GOTCHA journalism. They will do it at the epxense of anyone or anything.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Embedded journalists do not belong in a combat unit! In fact they don't belong anywhere near the front lines, unless they themselves are armed and willing to do the same job as our soldiers in the field. Our men over there should not have to be watching over their shoulders to help protect the reporter that is not willing to take the risks or do the job that they do.
Too many times have we seen the excellent pictures they get of "insurgents" ( and thats spelled E-N-E-M-Y) getting ready to shoot at or launch an rpg at our guys. Here they are in a perfect position to help us, and our cause out, and what do they shoot? Nothing but a damned picture.
Then comes a time when a U.S. Marine shoots a combatant, and the journalist automatically gets it played in a bad light. Huh; I'll be damned.
All of these embedded reporters need to be taken out of the field units, be brought back to the rear and put in a little press pool tent, and be given only the info and pics that the military feels they need.
We (our soldeirs) don't need the kind of publicity and help that these people bring.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Im not there but it makes sense to me that,

Raise your hands and give up, fine.
Fake dead? You will be dead because obviously you have other intentions.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In WW2, the press was heavily censored, so as to maintain high morale at home. In Vietnam, the Press was trusted and given free reign. In Iraq, reporters have been embedded with front line troops without censorship. The reporter who took the video was a "pool" reporter, and his info was fed to all major neworks. Under such a situation, there was no chance that it would not be aired by at least one of them... and Al Jazeera.

·
Registered
276 Posts
That reporter should have that camera "embedded" where the sun don't shine.

Does that asshole have any idea the harm he has caused and the soldiers who are going to be killed because of it. I believe his name is Kevin Sites or something like that, and the fucker should be arrested for treason.

The soldier will be cleared of any wrong doing, and hopefully will get a medal or promotion.

It is a WAR CRIME to play dead. It is a WAR CRIME to fight out of uniform. These "rules" are part of the Geneva Conventions.

The soldier did the right thing.

The embedded reporters have to go, it was a stoopid idea and enough is enough. :angry: GG

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Kick the freaking media out....it's a war zone, for crying outloud, they have no business being in front of our troops, they are supposed to be behind.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
You can be a patriot and have respect for the US fighting man without compromising journalistic integrity. Here is one guy who did it. He was no suck up or shill.

Bill Mauldin was born in New Mexico in 1921. While in his early teens Mauldin decided he wanted to become a professional cartoonist and after school attended the Academy of Fine Art in Chicago.

He joined the United States Army in 1940 and began producing cartoons for the 45th Division News. In 1943 he took part in the invasions of Sicily and Italy. The following year he became a full-time cartoonist for the Stars and Stripes. His cartoons often featured two infantrymen called Willie and Joe.

After Ernie Pyle, America's most popular journalist in the Second World War, wrote an article about the work of Mauldin, he was picked up by United Feature Syndicate in 1944 and his cartoons began appearing in newspapers all over the United States. He later recalled that: "I drew pictures for and about the soldiers because I knew what their life was like and understood their gripes. I wanted to make something out of the humorous situations which come up even when you don't think life could be any more miserable."

Mauldin's cartoons often reflected his anti-authoritarian views and this got him in trouble with some of the senior officers. In 1945 General George Patton wrote a letter to the Stars and Stripes and threatened to ban the newspaper from his Third Army if it did not stop carrying "Mauldin's scurrilous attempts to undermine military discipline."

General Dwight D. Eisenhower did not agree and feared that any attempt at censorship would undermine army morale. He therefore arranged a meeting between Mauldin and Patton. Mauldin went to see Patton in March 1945 where he had to endure a long lecture on the dangers of producing "anti-officer cartoons". Mauldin responded by arguing that the soldiers had legitimate grievances that needed to be addressed.

Will Lang, a reporter with Time, heard about the meeting and questioned Mauldin about what happened. Mauldin replied, "I came out with my hide on. We parted friends, but I don't think we changed each other's mind." When the comment appeared in the magazine George Patton was furious and commented that if he came to see him again he would throw him in jail.

In 1945, Mauldin's cartoons on the Second World War won the Pulitzer Prize. The citation read: "for distinguished service as a cartoonist, as exemplified by the series entitled "Up Front With Mauldin". Mauldin, the youngest person to be awarded the prize, was now one of the best-known cartoonists in the United States. His book, Bill Mauldin's Army, was published in 1951.

As a member of the United Feature Syndicate Mauldin's cartoons attacking racism, the Ku Klux Klan and McCarthyism appeared in newspapers all over the United States. Mauldin's cartoons were unpopular with the newspapers in small towns and he had difficulty getting them published.

Disillusioned, Mauldin gave up cartooning. He returned in 1958 when he replaced the retiring Daniel Fitzpatrick at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. This newspaper was willing to publish his strong views on racism. In 1959 he won another Pulitzer Prize for his cartoon, I won the Nobel Prize for Literature. What was your crime?

In 1962 Mauldin moved to the Chicago Sun-Times where he worked with another radical cartoonist, Jacob Burck. His drawing of a crying Abraham Lincoln on the death of John F. Kennedy, became one of the most famous cartoons in American history.

During his career Mauldin wrote and illustrated more than twelve books. This included Up Front (1945), Back Home (1947), Mud and Guts (1978), Hurray for B.C. (1979), Bill Mauldin's Army (1983) and Let's Declare Ourselves Winners and Get the Hell Out (1985).

Bill Maudlin died of respiratory failure at a nursing home in Newport Beach, California, on 22nd January, 2003.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Custer, yer a smart guy. Who wrote this along with many, many more news accounts of the Pacific theatre during WWII? (or anyone else want to guess?)

Nov 11, 1942 However, there was absolutely no activity in the front line trenches, the enemy "Demon Rum" having practically run out of ammunition.
(The trio toured the city from 7:30 to 11:30 P.M., visiting the Red Cross stations, first aid units, telephone censors, auxiliary police -- all hard at work.)
And so to bed, taking with me an increased admiration for my fellow Americans -- God bless 'em.

Dec 1, 1942 Captain Philip Bird of Oklahoma City, an observer, and I, of Tarzana, Cal., an innocent bystander, rode in the jeep at the head of the column with Capt. Robert Jaap of Canton, [Ohio] the battery commander. The convoy trailed out behind us like the tail of a comet -- a 15 miles-per-hour comet....

Apr 14, 1943 In the first raid on Tokyo, we purposely refrained from bombing the palace of the syphilitic, near-imbecile god whom they worship. The Japanese mind could attribute this humanitarian decency only to fear. The next raid should disabuse their mind of this false conception....
***His anger was a result of a bomber raid on Tokyo on April 18, 1942, the airmen who had been forced down and captured by the Japanese were publicly beheaded.]

Hint, it wasn't Ernie Pyle. :thumbup1:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts