Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to cook cabbage on the grill tonight in aluminum foil.

What temp and how long should I cook it? I was planning to only add some butter and salt. Anything else?

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
About the only thing else I add is black pepper. I don't usually put any salt in there, but that's just a matter of taste.

As far as temperature, around 300 for maybe 20-25 minutes or so. I usually individually wrap the cabage portions and just check one and see if it looks cooked about right. I can't really explain what it's like when it's done, but you will know when you check it.

It will be good and steamed and tender. I love it.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll report back to the master chef on my results.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's winter here Aviator so I put mine away for the season. We don't wear white shoes after Labor Day, either.

It is more seasonably fashionable to grill out in camo.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
I hope it turned out edible.

Put some sparragus, butter, salt and pepper too since you are at it.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It came out great. My wife really like it so I think it will become a staple dish around here when I am grilling. I think I will make smaller packets next time and try different seasonings, too.

Thanks for the tip, Pogo.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Hey, great. I haven't made any in a while. I think I'll make some this evening. Quite tasty. Did you put plenty of black pepper on yours? That's the seasoning for me.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I'm not sure how this would turn out on the grill--it probably wouldn't be too bad--I fry my cabbage with butter pepper and smoked sausage. It's delicious!!!!! matter of fact I think I'll make some tonight........

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Taz,

I like it with sausage too. The grill works fine. You cut the cabbage into 1/4s or 1/8ths, and wrap them in aluminum foil with butter and whatever seasoning you want.

An old Chief Warrant Officer that was a boat commander told me about this recipe when we were grilling steaks one night and sharing a bottle of Jack Daniel.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Cool, I will have to try the grill, cuz I looooooovvvvvvvvveeeeee the way cabbage makes the whole house smell :rolleyes: :grumble:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Gawd,,,,I love cabbage. It would be possible for me to die of malnutrition due to only eating cabbage.
My little girl hates when I eat it though! :naughty: :lol:

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
ya'll eat sushi, but she doesn't like cabbage? what's wrong with that picture? lol

oh ok.......ZING right over my head.........lol yeah cabbage talks back to me too.......lol :buttkick:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
You have to read between the lines girl! ;)

(added) yea,,,you've got it.:)

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
yeah yeah yeah---gimme a break--I was up on here til like 1 this morning-------wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy past my normal bedtime of 9:30 :D I'm ssshhhhllllllleeeeeepppppppyyyyyyyyy , but my dogs had to potty and I'm up for good......cold air got their panties all bunched up and they're wired......lol

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pogo said:
Hey, great. I haven't made any in a while. I think I'll make some this evening. Quite tasty. Did you put plenty of black pepper on yours? That's the seasoning for me.
Yeah, I loaded it up heavy with coarse ground black pepper.
A couple pats of butter, too.

Next time I am going to try a pepper popourri we have which is pretty hot and spicy. Maybe try a packet with some olive oil and/or vinegar. I think there are a lot of variations we can try depending on what we are serving.

I liked it more well done whereas my wife liked it more crunchy so I will probably divide it into more packets next time.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I'll give you another idea for grilling something different.

Get some Italian sausages and grill them. But first, slice up some onion and green pepper and put it in an aluminum foil packet with butter and cracked pepper. Serve it on a big bun. Tastes just like the Italian sausage sandwiches you buy at fairs and carnivals for $5.00 a pop.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We do that but my wife boils them first. She then slices them longways. Then I char them a bit on the grill before I put them in the packets. We also add a pizza sauce from the local pizza place we like. You can either warm the pizza sauce or dump every thing into the sauce and then add the mix to the bun. My son likes to add dill pickles and some hungarian hot peppers on it when he assembles this masterpiece.

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
Here's my favorite aluminum foil grilling recipe.

Take a cold baked potato and cube it up. Throw in some (ok lotsa) cheese, bacon, onions salt, pepper and any and all of your favorite or potential favorite potato stuffings. Throw it on for 10 minutes or so and they come out awesome. It's great for camping where you make them ahead of time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts