Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's the cowboy action shooting practice doming along?????

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well???? I'm waiting.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
:horse:

I like this one. :horse:

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I'ma gettin all geared up DorGunR. I've got my pistols, my hat, a set of spurs, and Santa's bringing me a replica Model 97 Winchester pump shotgun for Christmas. :) I've got my holsters ordered, and they are being made right now. I should get them sometime in January. I've still got to select a rifle. I've just about narrowed it down to a replica Model 66 Henry Winchester or a Model 73 Henry Winchester. I'll probably buy that in about a month. My wife's still a giving me heck on how much money I've spent. :D

Here is a 66:

and here is a 73:

The 73 is about a 100 bucks more than the 66, but I think I'll probably go that route. I'm a still thinking and trying to decide. Unless I want to travel a fair distance, the shooting won't start up in this area till March.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Hey, can one of you old timers recommend a good holster, or tell me where I can find a good slimjim belt holster for my new cowboy piece?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Cat Brules shot the Henry so I would get that even though I always wanted a 73.

Pogo, what does a 73 go for and where is this place?

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
D.B.Cooper said:
Hey, can one of you old timers recommend a good holster, or tell me where I can find a good slimjim belt holster for my new cowboy piece?
I ordered mine from Black Hills Leather. http://www.blackhillsleather.com/westernrigs_wr.html

If you don't see something on the website, you can tell em what you want or send a picture and he'll quote you a price to make it.

If ya want, I'll give you some more good sources of leather.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Custer said:
Cat Brules shot the Henry so I would get that even though I always wanted a 73.

Pogo, what does a 73 go for and where is this place?

Here's a website of the Uberti company. They are considered the best manufacturers of replica Winchesters. In fact, they are made even better than the originals, using modern metalurgy. http://www.uberti.com/firearms/rifles.tpl

I can buy them for considerably less than advertised on that website by buying them from Outdoor Sports in Dayton Ohio, which is a division of Jerrys Sports. I can get the model 66 for 695.95 and the 73 for 785.95. But, Jerrys sells only to FFL dealers. If'n you were a resident of my state, I could order you one. But, you should be able to get a local dealer to order you one.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Thanks, Pogo. Now I know why I have never seen one in a store.

I also know why you are soon to be taking up residence on the couch.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yep cowboy shootin's mighty spendy, which is why I've never taken it up.
From what I've seen, the average CAS fellow has around $13-1500 in shootin irons, and usually around $3-400 in leather and accoutrements, and normally a couple hundred in duds.
Yep, the average "fancypants" cowpoke goes right at $1800-2000 on the hoof, including $.99 a pound for the fella inside all this.
'Course, there are cheaper ways to do it, BP revolvers instead of Rugers or Colts, Winchester or Rossi rifles stead of Uberti '66/73 replica, homemade gunleather instead of fancy two-gun rigs. But in this sport, it's almost as important how you look as how you shoot, at least from what I've seen of it, which admittedly wasn't that much.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I've got my cart done. Just put the last coat of finish on it. Now I need to rub it out and put some wax on it.

Here is the compartment box:

And, here's the base that everything sits on:

And, here is the rack that holds the guns and my umbrella:

The rack will hold four single barrel long guns and one double barrel, as well as the umbrella, and a hole for a cleaning rod. The space behind where the guns sit will hold four boxes of shotgun shells.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Does the umbrella go at an angle or am I looking at something wrong? Is the darker wood with the hole in it part of the umbrella holder?

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Lupeloff said:
Does the umbrella go at an angle or am I looking at something wrong? Is the darker wood with the hole in it part of the umbrella holder?
If I use a beach type umbrella, I will drop it thru the hole that's in the extended walnut piece, and the bottom will rest in the hole in the base. (the hole in the dark piece is on a vertical plane with the bottom hole, but the picture makes it look somewhat distorted)

I have a shorter and smaller umbrella that I can drop in the other hole, and clamp to the back piece of the upper. Or, I can use that hole to drop my cleaning rods in.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damn............you do some really good work Pogo, I'm impressed. After ya get all your "stuff" ya gotta post a pic of yourself in your cowboy outfit whith all your shootin irons.:)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Pogo said:
If I use a beach type umbrella, I will drop it thru the hole that's in the extended walnut piece, and the bottom will rest in the hole in the base. (the hole in the dark piece is on a vertical plane with the bottom hole, but the picture makes it look somewhat distorted)

I have a shorter and smaller umbrella that I can drop in the other hole, and clamp to the back piece of the upper. Or, I can use that hole to drop my cleaning rods in.
Gotcha.:thumbup1:

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Oh yeah, That that white screw that you can barely see on the left part of the upright is for the bar that locks the guns in place so they won't fall out if I've been drinkin too much liquor and bump my cart into something or somebody. :D

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
DB, here is a company that makes a little less expensive holsters: http://www.circlekb.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=CKCG/CTGY/ULRigs

And, another: http://www.cowboyneeds.com/TK_Holsters.html

One thing I didn't mention that is very important. If ya don't want to pay the bucks for a expensive holster with top grade lining, don't buy a holster with suede lining. You are much, much better off getting an unlined holster. The suede is a dirt collector and will eventually end up being sandpaper against the bluing on your gun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts