Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a mount to place a holo sight/red dot on my AK. I am looking for the kind that mounts onto the rear sight base (like the ACE, which isn't made anymore).

If anyone here has pictures of their holo/red dot sight mounted on their rifles I would love to have a look.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I think you are right wanting to place it on the sight base rather than the gas tube like some have done.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
chuck1 said:
Here is a link to the rail I made for my rifle. http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1952

I think kerbs will add a rail (big bucks) but if you can weld you can add one yourself.
I machined the rail and welded it on. Brownellls sells blank rail material so you don't have to make it from scratch.

Your picture has the look I want but I'm looking to have it removable as opposed to making it a permanent fixture. I was hoping that someone else had done all the leg work and could just direct me....LOL

Hopefully, someone will have the answer or like you I'll have to make something myself...get ready with the files and dremel tool.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I looked at the ACE arms mount and see it clamps on along with some sort of other attachemts.
If you don't mind drilling and tapping a hole in the rear sight block it looks like I could come up a rail that could be removed with a few allen screws.
I have a spare sight block so I will see if it's something that could be made.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chuck1 said:
I looked at the ACE arms mount and see it clamps on along with some sort of other attachemts.
If you don't mind drilling and tapping a hole in the rear sight block it looks like I could come up a rail that could be removed with a few allen screws.
I have a spare sight block so I will see if it's something that could be made.
I was thinking along the same lines. I was considering having something that would insert into the front of the rear sight block and then hold it down with an allen screw (6-32 or 8-32) where the regular rear sight locks in. Then I would have taped a hole into the aft section of the rear sight where there is more metal to do so and put an allen screw there. Then I would mount the rail to the metal that's secured in front and back of the rear sight. Of course if I had a mill it would make things easier to cut the metal to the proper dimensions. I can see it in my mind and I guess I'll try to make a drawing of what I'm trying to say in words. I guess that will be in my next post.

Thanks for keeping up with me on this.

·
Registered
681 Posts
T.K. ...you can buy the receiver rails for about 20 bucks... how about mounting that to the receiver with screws? might be more solid? just a thought...
By the way... gauges are working out great!!!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sks_hunter said:
T.K. ...you can buy the receiver rails for about 20 bucks... how about mounting that to the receiver with screws? might be more solid? just a thought...
By the way... gauges are working out great!!!
Thanks for the suggestion. I did a little drawing to put what was in my head on paper so to speak. I know that it would take some refining to work but the idea's there.

"Click On Picture To Enlarge"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
magicald_223 said:
Check this one out, Millet makes it. There are a few places online that cell the mount. I think like $35. Here's the link: http://www.millettsights.com/pages/asault.html
Damn, that's close to what I want, I just wish it didn't hang over the front handguard. I would like the scope to be more aft. But maybe it's something I can work to what I want.....Thanks

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
With a little fittin and cussin, there are several weaver mounts that could be made to work. ( example ) the baby browning 22 mount with some grindin and drillin, all that fun stuff.

I made one for a customer by grinding and fitting the M38 Mosin-Nagant scout mount. With enough time you can do anything.

·
Registered
66 Posts
THe millet one looks pretty cool. I will try to make one with some sort of iron sight built into it ala ACE.
Toten Kopf your drawing is close to what I had plans for when I was thinking about a way to mount it.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't found anything that really toot's my whistle so I'm still in the air about this. Some of the mounts looks close but no banana.

I emailed ACE (stocks) letting them know that I would of liked to buy one of their mounts. Damn shame they don't make it anymore.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I see about mounting to the FSB. Looks like it would be rugged enough, and a pretty good idea. The one at millet looks like it does hang a little too far forward, I agree. If it is 2 peice, why couldn't you redrill the rail to where you want it, and remount it to the block?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sks_hunter said:
I see about mounting to the FSB. Looks like it would be rugged enough, and a pretty good idea. The one at millet looks like it does hang a little too far forward, I agree. If it is 2 peice, why couldn't you redrill the rail to where you want it, and remount it to the block?
What you have said is a good idea, the only thing is I haven't been able to find out much about it (whether it's a 2 piece unit or not). I'll keep on looking for info but I just might have to call the manufacturer and ask them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am getting an ace,can't say where,I can send it to you and you can see what you
think.My brain has also been on this subject.I will let you know when I recieve it,
should be about a week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a removable mount from K-Var and took off the rail,just 2 screws, than my buddy machined a section of rail 12 inchs long I got from Numerich Arms remounted it in place of the other.He aslo milled out the underside to go over the rear sight by about .02 ,I mounted a Eotech and works great and its removable,also has lots of adjustment front to rear for different sights if you want to different optics!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
blucifershammer said:
I bought a removable mount from K-Var and took off the rail,just 2 screws, than my buddy machined a section of rail 12 inchs long I got from Numerich Arms remounted it in place of the other.He aslo milled out the underside to go over the rear sight by about .02 ,I mounted a Eotech and works great and its removable,also has lots of adjustment front to rear for different sights if you want to different optics!
Could you post some pictures of your mount? It would be helpful.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The millet AK rail has been covered over the years and its a flimsy system that will end up in your junk drawer.

The utimak is the only top rail system thats any good IMHO.

Blackjack is getting some TDI upper handguards that have rails moulded into them. Developed in Israel and tested by elite army units. This may end up being the least expensive and easiest to install.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts