Gunco Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Surprisingly enough, Cephus, antibiotics are the one class of drugs for which I unequivocally support government control over. With all the rest a "Ain't nobody's business but my own" case can be made for leaving it to the citizen to decide whether to fool around with the drug - albeit cases of varying validity. But misuse of antibiotics really does endanger us all: Misuse of antibiotics has resulted, for example, in the mutation of antibiotic-resistant strains of Tuberculosis.

So do the responsible thing: Don't grow pennicillin on your stale bread; cook up a little meth instead.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drugs are objects.

They aren't inherently bad any more than guns or any other object that can be misused by humans is inherently bad. Will readily concede that the way that some folks use drugs really sucks, though, and will readily concede that some drugs are more likely to be misused than others. Meth, alas, is one of the more likely to be misused ones; even druggies think tweakers are obnoxious.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Drugs are objects...hmmmm.

Does that benign status apply to other things found in nature like asbestos, lead, mercury and so on?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Custer said:
Drugs are objects...hmmmm.

Does that benign status apply to other things found in nature like asbestos, lead, mercury and so on?
Yep. None of those are inherently bad, either, but each can be misused. None of those need be eliminated from the planet; each needs to be used properly.

I find bullets to be an especially admirable use for lead.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Preacher said:
And Hallucinogens don't?
Actually, hallucinogens are among the safest of drugs. Tolerance to them is so complete and so rapid that it is nearly entirely impossible to become strung out on them (if you do acid today, you won't be able to get off very well on it if you take it again tomorrow), and magnitude of a lethal dose compared to an intoxicating dose of LSD is so astronomical that there isn't a single human fatality from LSD overdose recorded.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_dose.shtml

But I'm sorta getting far afield here. My point was simply that even clearly dangerous drugs like methamphetamine arguably harm only the user - as opposed someone's misuse of antibiotics which can result in you, Preacher, catching and dying from tuberculosis that won't respond to antibiotics.

Not the stipulation "arguably". There certainly is collateral damage when folks trash themselves with alcohol and other drugs.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
My point was simply that even clearly dangerous drugs like methamphetamine arguably harm only the user
So it's not harmful for a person to use these and then drive?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, absolutely it's dangerous to drive when stoned.

LSD can be misused in ways that make it dangerous not only to oneself but to others. Most drugs can, regardless of their legal status. Is there something I said that implied that I think it's not possible to endanger yourself or others with alcohol or other drugs, including LSD?

And pointing out, since you asked, that psychedelics are a class of drugs with about the least instrinsic dangers to oneself. We're still waiting for a human LSD fatal overdose; that can be said of very very few other drugs, including aspirin.

I'm just saying that you don't inherently endanger others, as you do when you mis-use antibiotics when you have Tuberculosis or another dangerous communicable disease.

[As an aside, I consider quasi-religious use of known dosage of pure LSD in a contemplative setting to be an appropriate use of that drug. I don't think it makes an especially good party drug, I think it demands a bit more respect than that - it can be a bit uncomfortable to be surrounded by strangers when the triple-headed Karmic goddess of knowledge directly blows fiery insights into you at the cellular level.]

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I guess I misunderstood when you said meth only harmed the user. But I agree with you on antibiotics. I knew a doctor that would prescribe them when you stubbed your toe(no not really, but would for sniffles).

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you agree that antibiotics should be subject to controls?

As I think of it, there is one other set of drug laws that I do think make sense: Purity and labelling laws. I do think that when you buy a drug that you should have assurance that it really is the drug that you're buying and that it hasn't been adulterated. For an exaggerated example, even I think that when you buy aspirin you shouldn't later find out that what you really got was PCP cut with strichnine.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I don't necessarily think the government needs to control antibiotics, maybe just fine the doctors when they misuse it. If the gov takes control of medicine, then they would have us over a barrel. More so than they already do.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
And pointing out, since you asked, that psychedelics are a class of drugs with about the least instrinsic dangers to oneself. We're still waiting for a human LSD fatal overdose; that can be said of very very few other drugs, including aspirin.
Yea they arent fatal till you jump out a 5th story window..

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Preacher said:
...If the gov takes control of medicine, then they would have us over a barrel. More so than they already do.
Huh? You don't think the government already has control of medicine?

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Huh? You don't think the government already has control of medicine?
You got me there.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Let's see. You can assume the risks of a bad outcome from mountain climbing or sky diving without governmental involvement, but you can not assume the smaller risk of a bad outcome from taking a pain medication.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You talking to me, Custer?

Because I agree with the statement underlying your question. That's why I would advocate minimal governmental involvement in control over what drugs a person chooses to use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts