Gunco Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Anti-Terrorist
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everybody here run as their home defense shells?

I have searched for a happy meduim but I just deided to go with Hornady Critical Defense 00 buck with some slugs mounted in a side saddle. I have been doing a lot of shotgun shooting as of recent and the Hornady Critical Duty is a hell of a shot shell, but it is 690 bar and the potential for overpenetration is defintely there.

I have tried #9 bird shot against skeet and paper and my worry about using that is stopping power.

Just curious what everybody else is using and why.

·
Citizen, Patriot, Ranger
2,862 Posts
Hi Bud!

Assuming a pump gun that can do 5-8 shots:

First 3: Anything that has a good spread. Dove loads all the way up to Duck loads. Does not matter. Bang-Fall or not-if not; BANG- fall or not; if not; BANG.....The second three are 00buck. The last two are slugs.

IF the local LEs ask why you loaded that way, you say: That's what I had left over, and l loaded them into the shotgun in the order I picked them up in.....NO PRE-PLANNING!

The logic behind this is simple....

One intruder: Shot until he drops.

More than one intruder: Shot and each shot spreads to hit multiple targets even at 15 feet. Choose your follow up shots as needed.

Way back when the Tyranasaurus still roamed the earth (1981), they still issued 40MM rounds that were somewhere between Number 4 and single 0. These were intended for walking point in a heavy vegetation environment. Effective range was said to be 100 meters. On the range, we really enjoyed these rounds. You could shred a 3/4" sheet of plywood at 50 meters. Really impressive, and good spread too. Hurt like hell to shoot though. You wouldn't want to shoot more than two or three if you could avoid it.

Regards,

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Bud!

Assuming a pump gun that can do 5-8 shots:

First 3: Anything that has a good spread. Dove loads all the way up to Duck loads. Does not matter. Bang-Fall or not-if not; BANG- fall or not; if not; BANG.....The second three are 00buck. The last two are slugs.

IF the local LEs ask why you loaded that way, you say:
That sounds like a great idea. Not sure why you would have to explain the loading though.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
My first 3 are #4 buck, 000 follows behind w/ slugs in the side saddle.

That said, I have a friend who shot an intruder with 7 1/2 birdshot.
One round, mid-torso at 12 feet away.
Damn near cut the guy in half. DOA.

·
The Anti-Terrorist
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had an old timer show me how to make cut shells a few years back, but you would need a coach gun to fire those suckers off. Essentially a poor man's slug.

But yeah I had a tricked out 870 Police Magnum as the zombie/home invader gun. If I ever stack different loads and get asked why they were like that my response would be "because I didn't want to use up all my flachettes :lol: . But yeah all good input.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Ddupleks seem to do the trick:

A slug with an extremely enormous impact effect. When hitting the body, the frontal part of the slug instantly increases from 18.5 to 36-38 mm in diameter – this is the largest slug expansion diameter ever known. It creates an entrance hole with a 3.5 cm diameter, hits powerfully with all its expansion area and disintegrates into six symmetric splinters. The splinter cone causes an extensive area of damage. The unified effect of a hydrodynamic and pneumatic shockwave inside the body, along with splinter damage, ensures an unique instant stopping effect with the Hexolit 32 slug, which provides good results even with imperfect hits.

·
The Anti-Terrorist
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn BB I think I am in love with a 12 gauge round. How does it feel to own the new shotgun thread??? :lol:

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
How loud is that frikkin' thing.

Ever fired a 12 gauge inside of a bed room before? Absolutely deafening.

Things to consider.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
tanvil,,, I'd think if you,, Did,,, have to ever touch one off in a bedroom,, you'd be so busy with what was causing you to have to,, you'd never even notice the noise. Believe me.

I've dusted off the M60 inside buildings plenty of times back in the day,,, and I don't even remember any noise at all!! But then I had people shooting back at me so,,,, I didn't notice any noise!

Damn those dluplexs look pretty nasty,, I'll have to check out some gentian test with them,,, I use #2 lead shot 3 1/2" turkey loads for #1+2,,,, #4buck ,,,,00,, and 2 follow up slugs.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have been told that the local police load a rifled slug first into their pump shotguns (Remington 870s), followed by 2 double ought buckshot shells and next, 2 number 6 shot-shells. If they have to fire the gun, these shells come out in reverse of the way they are loaded. It starts with the 2 shot shells, then 2 buckshots and last, the slug. This is in case the perp is so hopped up on drugs or something, that the bird shot can't stop him, the buckshot should. Then if all else fails, the slug should finish the job.
I load my home defense Mossberg 500 that same way. If it works foe LEOs, it should work for me.

·
The Anti-Terrorist
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use Hornady Critical Defense 690 bar 00 buck. I also have some High Velocity Slugs but those are in a receiver mounted side saddle. I have had extensive shotgun training so I just drop a slug in if needed, kind of like a speed reload. Just my $.02 but I want to be absolutely positive whats coming out of the business end of my 870.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a bunch of those Centurion 2inch 00shells. I think birdshot indoors in close quarters would be fine. Think frangibles.
I use Remington 000. 8 pellets per round. I figure in a home defense situation I hope my family will be behind me, and I don't care about over penetration. I use an 18.5" Winchester 97 and have tried some of those Centurian buck and ball. I don't know why, but they are too tight in the chamber and jam the gun after they shoot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts