1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Homeowner and neighbor fire back against home invasion suspects
By Gene Apodaca
ABC13 Eyewitness News
(12/11/04 - HOUSTON) ? Shots fired inside a home in The Heights during a violent home invasion. Moments later, the victim's neighbor tried to help and he started shooting, too.

Police are still looking for suspects. It happened on 23rd at Baylor. Neighbors are still shocked over the incident that left more than a little mark on this quiet neighborhood.
Neighbor Benny Grable said, "A little bit before seven it sounded like a war zone out here."

It was a scene Benny and his wife Alice won't soon forget..

"Of course, I was scared," said Alice Grable. "It's not something you have happen every Saturday morning when you're still asleep."

Gunfire erupted just yards from their front door. Bullets piercing walls, trees -- almost anything that got in the way.

HPD Officer Keith Lovelace said, "A lot we're not sure the total, but several shots fired."

Police say it all began with a home invasion. Three people were home when two suspects broke through a glass window to gain entry into the house. Once inside, that's when police say the gun battle began.

"Inside the house they exchanged gunfire with the owner," explained Officer Lovelace.

The tenant fought off the intruders for several minutes. That's when police say others got involved. Shortly after the break in, a neighbor who lives just one door away came running over to this house. That's when he exchanged fire with the suspects.

Officer Lovelace said, "Neighbor never goes inside, he exchanges gunfire from outside the residence."

Cornered, the suspects fled the scene. The tenant who fired back was shot once in the arm. Those who know him couldn't believe what had happened.

"Why they picked this nice person? I just want to know what happened," said Selinda Contreras, the victim?s friend.

As for why this happened, police still have no real answers. A K-9 unit was dispatched to the house. Investigators are searching for any clues to why this home would became a target.

Police have only vague descriptions of the two suspects. As for the victim, we're told he's at an area hospital undergoing surgery

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Imagine what the results would have been had the home owner not acted on his 2nd Amendment rights. Headlines would have read "Family killed in home."

·
No Member
1,941 Posts
I've often thought that would be the scenario if someone broke into my or my neighbors homes.My neighbors on each side of me are gunowners and we all keep an eye on each others homes and I feel sorry for any home invaders that might wander our way.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
we NEED to see MORE of this, neibors helping neibors. I have to believe those bastards will think it is a bad idea to try that crap again. in fact I find it hard to believe they will ever go into another occupied home again. OH what a supprize when they were fired apon from two directions, and they thought it would be an easy morning. too bad one of them were not hit.

·
Long Arm of the LAW
2,385 Posts
It's good to have these types of neighbors. These people were lucky. Hopefully the police will catch the scumbags who did this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There have been a rash of home invasions in Texas of late. Some are drug related but some are regular folks (mostly old) getting hit by thugs. Many times the victims open the door. I only open the door for my neighbors, friends or the UPS man. I have a kitchen window that looks onto my front porch. If I don't know you...we talk through the window...and there is something in my hand below eye sight. I'm not paranoid...there are people out to get me.
All this for low wages and a tiny pension.
My advice, fight crime..shoot back...take care of your neighborhood. The vast majority of criminals are gutless and lazy. The LAST thing they want to encounter is you, armed..pissed and ready to take care of business.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Interesting story for sure. Hard to comment further without more information. While I agree with some thoughts already posted, especially Preacher's hypothetical potential newspaper headline, there just isn't enough "meat" in the story as reported. Lots of "nice people" sell drugs, run illegal card games and dabble into all sorts of things you might not want to shoot anyone over.

I don't mean to be the naysayer in this, home invasion style robbery has touched a woman I know intimately and care deeply for (a gunowner herself, she was trapped hiding behind her shower curtain throughout the ordeal) I think I understand the "gut reaction" end of the thought of protecting ones neighbor, there just aren't enough facts to base an opinion on yet. Too many loose ends.

I'll count on Custer for the updates. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts