Gunco Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this uni - pro welding kit at sportsmans guide and was wondering if it would work for lower rails. Here is the link to it uni-pro welding kit My thinking is that if it works as good as they make it sound, then maybe it would be a cheaper alternative than buying a spot welder. Any opinions of this are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Sounds interesting. I bought a spot welder and modified the lower tong as posted on another site. Haven't used it yet waiting for a GB on ACE receivers or what ever.

But this stuff is intriging. Low temp so it shouldn't warp the receiver....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wonder what the shear strength is.

Where you thinking of drilling holes in the receiver and then basically plug welding ( soldering ? ) , or welding the entire lower to the inside of the receiver,something on the order of 'sweating' a front sight on a rifle using silver solder.

If you use the sweating method I think it should hold,but with the plug method I am wondering if the constant pounding (at least on the ejector side) won't shear the plugs.

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would feel the sweating method would be the only decent way of using that kind of set up - but even then I'm not sure. If it would work that would be a cheap alternative to a spot welder, etc.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would think that sweating it on would be strong enough.

Only the ejector side rail should suffer any shear forces , due to the empty shell slamming into the ejector.

The ejector side probably has atleast 2 square inches of surface area that will be in contact with the receiver side wall.

Three or four small plugs probably wouldn't hold up , but I can't see 2" of surface area seperating very easily.

That being said it would be a PITA to keep everything lined up whilst 'welding' it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts