Gunco Forums banner

How do I duplicate Soviet selector markings?

4K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  F-Troop 
#1 ·
I just bought a Global receiver and was wanting to duplicate the Soviet markings for the various safety selector locations. Does anyone know of a website with some good photos? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this? Does a company, or person offer this service? Thanks in advance....

#2 ·
I have a .JPG somewhere that shows all the selector markings in various languages. Of course I can't find the pic right now... I'll see if I can track it down for you this evening.

This should get you by for now:

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/pro9.html
(notice the third pin)

and

(notice there is no third pin)

The Cyrillic AB is the full auto position.
The Cyrillic OA is the semi auto.

#3 ·
I've been looking for a cyrillic stamp set, saw one once and now I can't find it again.

#7 ·
Is it me or do the A's in that pic look hand engraved to you too?

#10 ·
CHECK IT OUT - I may have found a die stamp making source that can custom manufacture these for us! I have only just found them, so I can't say anything yet. I am travelling all next week so I don't know when I can get in touch with them. SO if anyone else asks first, be sure to post their response here!

May have to check to see what my Happy Camper logo would cost to get transferred to a punch! I'd love to put a "factory stamp" of my tent logo on my gun builds... that would be TOO COOL...

http://www.columbiamt.com/Stamps/Stamps.htm

May get one set, then rent them out, kinda like with the pressing jigs floating around.

#13 ·
Keep us up to date on this my man. I am in for a set for sure! :thumbup1:

hcpookie said:
CHECK IT OUT - I may have found a die stamp making source that can custom manufacture these for us! I have only just found them, so I can't say anything yet. I am travelling all next week so I don't know when I can get in touch with them. SO if anyone else asks first, be sure to post their response here!

May have to check to see what my Happy Camper logo would cost to get transferred to a punch! I'd love to put a "factory stamp" of my tent logo on my gun builds... that would be TOO COOL...

http://www.columbiamt.com/Stamps/Stamps.htm

May get one set, then rent them out, kinda like with the pressing jigs floating around.

#15 ·
I tried some regular hand stamps on a global receiver the other day, the steel was so hard it barely scratched the metal. In a day or two I'll send a photo of the selector markings away to get a rough quote for some custom stamps. I believe the price from Infinity stamps was in the $150 range. If somebody had a friend in Russia, maybe they could pick up some?

#16 ·
On 10/18 I e-mailed infinity stamps with the photo from this thread and asked for an approximate price for two punches, with the corresponding cyrillic markings on each. I will post any information as it is received.

#17 ·
I just received an e-mail from Infinity stamps. The stamps would be around $90.00 each. Each stamp would have two characters like those in the photo on this thread. The specifics regarding letter height, width and spacing would still need to be worked out. The next step is to either proceed with payment, and then Infinity would forward me the "artwork" for the letters. Any revisions could then be made. The stamps would be heat treated, and require the use of a hammer to set the letters in the steel. The inside of the receiver would need to be supported, otherwise it is likely to bend. Heating the area where the stamp would be located might be one way to get a crisp set of letters with a minimal amount of trouble. What are your thoughts on this? Is there any interest?

#18 ·
Stand by before you order - I'm obtaining a quote from the other company. Maybe we can get something a bit cheaper.

FYI, the quote I'm requesting is for only the cyrillic characters. The "B" and "O" can be filled by the $5.00 HF set I have. Getting a quote for 1/4" characters.

Will keep you posted.

#19 ·
Yikes pookie !

1/4" way too big.

I'm willing to chip in on this one, but let me see about getting a measurement on the authentic letter sizes.
The Cryillic "A" on the upper mark is squared on the top on the real soviet guns.
I have a whole collection of various pics of cryillic from many guns and will post them if I can.

Please note the upper "A" shown below is wrong. This was an experiment to print stencils for engraving and I don't have the font setup correctly yet.

AB = avtomaticheskiy = auto

OД = odinochniy = semi auto

I'll be back when I can with some measurements.

#20 ·
The correct letter height would be about 1/8 ".

(About half the width of the spacer rivet ).
The "large" markings shown earlier in this post are attempts at duplicates on a US gun. I have a standard 1/8 " letter set but now I'm worried the receiver material is too hard from what the gentleman above had posted.
Heating the metal hot enough to soften it (cherry red) would certainly screw up the heat treatment I think.
My first attempt at engraving the marks wasn't half bad, but letters came out too large. (theres a limit to how tiny I can work with a dremel tool).

I printed out the letters from the computer, cut them out, and super glued them to the receiver. I then carefully made tiny cuts along the letters with a small ball end tip. Peeled the paper off and smoothed out the channels.
Not quite as sharp as the laser etched variety or stamped variety, but passable if I can get the size right. I think next time I won't practice on a good SAR1.

#22 ·
UPDATE:

I requested a quote for only the Cyrillic letter (both that look like "A"s) since the "B" and "O" can be made with normal cheap HF stamps.

Here's the quote I received:

Price for each stamp: $24.50

One-time pattern & artwork fee: $55.00

Therefore the first set will be $104 + S/H.

Each set after that will be $49.00.

If we can get committments for 10 sets, we could share the set-up fee and make it even better. $55 / 10 sets would be $5.50 set, for a grand-total of $54.50 + S/H per set.

What do you think? I will put this in the GB section if it sounds OK. This would be only for the two different Cyrillic "A" stamps. You would still need to obtain one of the $5.00 HF stamp sets for the US alphabet.

#23 ·
I'd be in for that GB Pookie!! I have that HF stampset already :).

#24 ·
STAY TUNED!!!

UPDATE to the UPDATE:

I emailed them about quantity runs:
Is there any quantity pricing? Say qty 10 and qty 20 price ranges?

They replied back....
Yes!

For 10 pieces we can waive the pattern charge, and for 20 pieces you get an extra 5% discount in addition to no pattern charge.

20 pieces is a non-issue here... right? We're talking 10 sets.

If my math is correct, the quantity numbers read like this:

10 sets: $46.55 + S/H per set. That should put us under the $50 price, assuming shipping on two 5" long letter punches is less than $4.00.

:D :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.