Gunco Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aerial view of the USS Arizona Memorial

It's Pearl Harbor Day. I didn't see another thread about it, so let me offer this one. December 7, 1941 was a pivotal event in American history. Before then, Americans were content with isolationism. No one accused her of being the World's Policeman. The US was not a great military power, ranking behind Portugal and Romania.

The Japanese sneak attack changed all that. America had been trying to peacefully influence the Empire of Japan to quit her war in China. Sanctions were our answer to military aggression. Japan believed a stiff, punishing attack would convince America to back off embargoes of oil and iron, which it badly needed to continue military occupation of China. 3 years, 9 months, and two atomic bombs later, Japan surrendered unconditionally and was occupied by the US.

After Pearl Harbor, the US became a great power. She was determined never again to invite military attack by having a second rate military. With devestation among other industrialized powers, the US became a "superpower" militarily and economically. Unlike what happened after WWI, the US did not beat her swords into plowshares. She continued military developments in aircraft, rocketry, and nuclear weaponry. Powerful new tanks and artillery were developed. Never again would American soldiers have to face enemies with obsolete equipment, nor would they have to train with broomsticks for machine guns.

More than 6 decades later, the US remembers December 7, 1941.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Demonstrated that if Japan is going to dominate the Pacific Rim it's going to have to rely upon economic instead of military power to do so. They were doing pretty well at the latter, too, until China also figured out that economic instead of military domination was the way to go.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I hesitate to say this because I admire what was done by that generation.

However, I suspect history will say that the sacrifices made in WWII led to the entitlement philosophy that permeates our Republic today.

A good example is the "to hell with the young folks" attitude of AARP when it comes to the looming social security battle.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
AClay47 said:
the US did not beat her swords into plowshares.
We're only supposed to do that after Jesus comes back to judge the people(Isaiah 2:4)

But until then:Joel 3:10 Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruninghooks into spears: let the weak say, I am strong.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Pearl Harbor stands as a testament to the strength and unity of the free American people. We have so many differences, but when we get jumped on, watch out.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Agree with you Lupeloff. And it's also a cautionary tale that one should remain focussed upon one's true enemies and not become blinded by racism. One response to Pearl Harbor was interning US citizens of Japanese descent*, one response to 9/11 has been risk of sanctions against US citizens of Islamic beliefs or Arabic descent.

*In recent conservative revisionist history of the Japanese internship that tries to rehabilitate that disgraceful episode into something that was alright, the distinction between interning citizens and interning enemy aliens is conveniently ignored. Interning enemy aliens is common and accepted practice among civilized nations, and I presume it's codified in international law. Interning one's own citizens based upon their race, religion, etc., is a disgrace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts