Gunco Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I doubt the Revolutionary rifle had the range, but it was pretty darn accurate. I'm not sure what caliber shot it discharged, but I'd wager it was .50 caliber or more. Can anyone compare the two? Would Arnold Schwarzenegger have banned the Pennsylvania Rifle as a Colonial Governor?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
"How does a .50 caliber BMG compare to a Pennsylvania Rifle?"

you can't compared a antique gun used over 200 years ago, to say a modern rifle........the best you can do is compare the rifle to one of it's contemporaries......which in this case would be the british "brown bess". in reality the pennsylvania rifle was not a military firearm at all, but a civilian weapon patterned after a german hunting rifle of the period.....the contential army, like the british, were armed with british military rifle?.. pennsylvania rifles were mostly used by the militia ?citizen soldiers?.....and to a lage degree was not that as prevelant, it did however aid in the misconception that the American was a better shot then anyone else, which is not the case, the rifle was just a more accurate rifle then anything on the battle field......

what made it more accurate then the british military firearms was that it had rifling, instead of a smooth bore......adding to the accuracy of the rifle was the way it was loaded....when combined with a leather, linen, cloth or paper patch, fit the grooves tightly enough to take a good spin and become more accurate. also the accuracy was aided in no small part by the patch performing two purposes?? it served as a gas seal imparting greater velocity, and it allowed the ball to fit tightly into the bore without having to drive it down with a mallet.

granted it took a bit longer to load this rifle then say a smooth bore?..but that was a trade off if you wanted accuracy, which was to shoot food?.that?s why armies at the time lined up soldiers, shoulder to shoulder, not only for firepower, but the rifles was so inaccurate for the time, that the only way to hit anything was to send a bunch of musket balls going in the general direction.

if you want to talk about the most inovative rifle of the period, that would put the penn rifle to shame, it was the ferguson rifle.......[font=geneva,arial,helvetica,helv]first breechloading rifle. highly accurate, and very fast to reload.....only about 200 were built and fielded for test in America.....after major ferguson was killed, the rifles were packed up and sent back to england.
[/font]

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sherman, what was the caliber of the Pennsylvania rifle? Would it be banned under California law?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Making guns illegal one caliber at a time.

2005 brings new laws into being
Jeff Ackerman, [email protected]

Attention holiday shoppers. Friday is the last day to purchase your very own 50-caliber BMG rifle. On New Year's Day, it will be illegal to buy one in California.

Who would want a 50-caliber BMG rifle, you ask? Apparently enough people to force state lawmakers to ban them. It's one of a number of new state laws that take effect at the stroke of midnight New Year's Eve.

Lawmakers determined that a 50-caliber rifle does not belong in the hands of people like me, and I can't say I disagree. I don't recall ever needing to shoot someone or something from a mile away, which is what a 50-caliber BMG is capable of doing. Even with my glasses on I can't see more than a half a block anyway. Besides ... I never shoot until I can see the whites of their eyes.

It is a concern, however, that there are enough 50-caliber rifle owners already among us to get the entire state Legislature and governor up in arms. After all, our governor isn't some girly man. He's the Terminator, for crying out loud. He can carry two 50-caliber rifles in one arm and bench press 300 pounds with the other. I saw him do that in "Conan the Barbarian," or maybe it was "Twins," I'm not sure.

According to the manual, the 50-caliber BMG (I'm pretty sure it stands for Big Mother Gun) can penetrate a concrete shelter from a mile away, which must really bum out those deer that spent the whole summer building a concrete hideout. The 50-caliber BMG owner advocates argue that they need a big rifle like that to shoot big game without ever leaving the comfort of the campfire.

"What's that out there on the horizon?"

BLAM!

"Got another beer?"

And if the deer try to drive away in a Hummer, the 50-caliber rifle can even penetrate an armored vehicle, according to the owner's manual.

So it's kind of good that our state government is putting a lid on Big Mother Guns, although I doubt that our law-breaking citizens (you know who you are) will really care what the Legislature thinks. We'll probably have to take the illegal rifles from their "cold, dead hands," as Charlton Heston was fond of saying. And we'll do that right after we pop them from a mile off right through the armored walls of their bunkers.

In addition to the 50-caliber ban, state laws taking effect on the first day of the New Year will:

? Make it illegal for a school bus driver to use a cell phone while driving our children to and from school. That one makes sense, although I think any bus driver ought to be able to call his therapist any time of the day or night. You try driving those kids to school and see if you don't need a therapist.

? Make it illegal to declaw any wild or exotic cat. Can't say that I disagree with that one, either. If you catch a wild or exotic cat, you ought to have to live with the consequences of that decision.

? Make hot air balloon owners accountable to local governments and no longer to the Public Utilities Commission. That one baffles me. I can only guess that ballooners came under the jurisdiction of the PUC because so many of them were slamming into power lines. Either that or they simply got filed in the wrong government drawer.

? Make it illegal for a physician convicted of a sex crime to practice medicine. It's about time they tackled that problem. It's good to know that the guy who's asking you to turn around and cough isn't some pervert. "Hey, doc. How come you want me to turn around and cough when I came in here for an ear infection?"

? Require polling place workers to be trained to ensure all eligible voters who arrive at a polling place before closing time are allowed to vote. I know what you're thinking ... too late.

"I'm here to vote for Kerry."

"Sorry, we're closed."

"But it's only 6."

"Hey, look. Nobody told me what time to close, so I'm closing. Beat it."

Can someone tell me why we don't have one federal law with respect to elections? Why should the rules be different from state to state? Are voters in Iowa any different from voters in California? OK ... never mind.

? Prohibit computer manufacturers from installing software that can be used to take control of your computer starting Jan. 1. That's downright scary. I can imagine sitting there checking out my online Fantasy Football team one night when Bill Gates suddenly pops up with my credit card and starts charging me for 1,000 copies of Windows 98.

"Hey, Bill!" I'll shout. "Get out of my computer right this instant!"

"It's not your computer, Ackerman. And if you don't shut up, I'll activate that chip we put inside your stupid brain pan."

? Allow a member of the military who is serving in conflict overseas to marry by having a proxy stand in as the bride or groom. I can only assume the current law requires the groom or bride to actually show up for the wedding.

"Do you, proxy, promise to cherish this woman (or this man) in sickness and in health all the days of your life?"

No answer, of course. Proxies can't talk.

"You may kiss the proxy."

The soldier comes home from the front and he's married with little proxies and doesn't remember signing anything.

http://tu.us.publicus.com/article/20041228/OPINION/112280037

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I can't say for sure what the original caliber was, but I have read that they were not more then 50caliber.........certinely not as much as the british rifles at the time, which was 75 caiber

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked it up. The Brown Bess fired a .69 caliber ball. I'm sure Americans used those, as well as the French-supplied Charleyville fired a .65 caliber ball.

The Pennsylvania rifle commonly used a .45 caliber rifle ball, but I believe larger calibers were also used.

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
The difference between a pennsylvania rifle and a .50 bmg rifle is about 12,000 foot pounsd of energy on target. As for why some one would want one, because you can have one. and 20mm is restricted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts