Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tax dollars at work in a crime ridden city that is anti self defense. He is a shameless thief. Worse than the ones he wants to film.

FEDS BOO$T BODEGA CAMS

December 1, 2004 --

The federal government will spend $400,000 to set up security cameras in 300 bodegas in New York City as part of a project called "Operation Safe Store," Sen. Charles Schumer announced yesterday.

The senator said the money was vital because many bodegas are located in high-crime neighborhoods and keep late hours.

Speaking at Washington Heights' Natalia Grocery, whose owner was robbed at gunpoint, Schumer (D-N.Y.) said crime data would determine which of the city's 14,000 bodegas get the cameras and silent alarms.

The $400,000 appropriation, inserted by Schumer into a multibillion-dollar spending bill, will be administered by the Bodega Association of the United States ? which, despite its name, will spend the money only in the city. Gersh Kuntzman

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
What the heck is a "bodega"???

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Oh, I see. Schumer is buying votes by spending my tax money on business people in his home state.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Pogo said:
What the heck is a "bodega"???
Well, here in the West the word is generally used to describe a Mom & Pop grocery store in a Mexican neighborhood, although I've heard it used to refer to a bar in a Mexican neighborhood, too.

Dunno how I feel about this one, given that it arguably could result in savings of more than $400K of the taxpayers' money in law-enforcement costs.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Dunno how I feel about this one, given that it arguably could result in savings of more than $400K of the taxpayers' money in law-enforcement costs.
And, if the government would buy me a security alarm it would save me a bunch of money by me not having to buy my own. But, I don't hardly think that spending that money on security cameras for businesses in New York is appropriate use of the taxes taken from the wages of some hick that scrapes out a meager living in Indiana like me.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Your point is well-taken, Pogo. That's precisely why I have mixed feelings about it. Although I suppose it's nice to see that Mom & Pop stores get to feed at the corporate welfare trough once in a while, too.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Your point is well-taken, Pogo. That's precisely why I have mixed feelings about it. Although I suppose it's nice to see that Mom & Pop stores get to feed at the corporate welfare trough once in a while, too.
Yeah, I'd rather see the money given to small businessmen if it absolutely had to be redistributed. It still honks me off that politicians (of both parties) buy votes with money taken from people working for a living.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
ENGLISH people, ENGLISH!!!!!! Last time I checked it is still the language we use in this country...

Call the damned thing Quicky Marts like they are meant to be, not no bodega crap.. Hell I though the guy was talking about whore houses..

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
Since they are generally exempted from most of the insane regulations passed in the country I would say they are decently treated.

I don't care much for corporate "welfare" but it comes about because we try to undue the damage done to employment through tax incentives and crap like that because we are unwilling to deal with the problem directly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts