Gunco Forums banner

101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Flux core is not optimal, but it would/could work. You would be plenty surprised to know that you could build an inexpensive purge box, fill it with cheap CO2 and weld with non-flux wire to get much better results.

Flux core will work, just make sure to coat the receiver in anti-splatter coating (the stuff they use to protect MIG nozzles) and you should be good even with the flux core and it will make the splatter a non issue for the most part. If you MIG weld without flux core wire, this trick can help too. Of course a TIG will get the nicest result on something like this.

I'm waiting for someone to use JB weld though. ;)

Mark
thanks mark....HF has that welder for $119. I'm not much of a welder but with a little practice I catch on fast and think I could do it. The hint about the anti-splatter is a good one. I see that this technique is more aesthetically appealing than the screw job.

·
tired of idiots
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
john practice on some 1/8" mild steel (get it from a welding shop or even lowes) Once you feel comfortable buy some plates and I will send some scrap 4130 with the plates to practice on.

Personally it might be cheaper to rent a gas mig 220v for a weekend

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
john practice on some 1/8" mild steel (get it from a welding shop or even lowes) Once you feel comfortable buy some plates and I will send some scrap 4130 with the plates to practice on.

I think VZ makes a great point here... practice a bit... a few hours of practice will really pay of in being able to lay down a nice bead, or at least get the settings on your welder close.

Fortunately this isn't aluminum and welding steel is pretty easy, although 4130 is a little trickier than mild steel. If you are anywhere near DC you can come over and use either my MIG or TIG setup.

Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts

That would be great. I thought if I build more that a small welder would be a good tool to have. Maybe I should just spring for a $100 more and get the small mig. We'll see...

thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
save your money and go for the mig. Ive got a lincoln SP100 its got the gauges and hoses for the C25 gas. Ive done patch work for my chevelle and elcaminos. its much easier to do sheet metal with the gas. I even cut the cowl induction dome off a chevelle hood and welded it to a camaro hood, just to be different. Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welding really is simple for something like that. All you have to do is mess around with your wire feed speed and amount of heat you putting out. And always get your welds tied in at the begining of your weld. TIG welding I would think would be fairly easier for something like this "maybe" because it would be much cleaner leaving no splatter and require less grinding. Now if your welding pipes that is a different story because you have to purge it, but for sheet metal and such I'd recomend that. Either way this guy did a nice job.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
although 4130 is a little trickier than mild steel.

Mark
I find mild steel harder to tig/mig than 4130 or 4140. mild steel gives too many holes (from gas) when finished. but Im not a welder by trade. I was "shown" how to on mild then moved up to better grades of steel.
muttman

·
tired of idiots
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
generally novice welders using too light of a welder will find 4130 harder to run a smooth bead on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hell ofrom larry street i would like to get on the list for the reweld plates, i had seen a company who sold rewelded recivers i found on the net for the tommy gun and i belive the m-14 when i was working on those guns. i would send u a link but i lost that computer in a fire when my house went up.............well mt reg email is [email protected] or u can call me at 1-304-523-0645............on the plates for 55.00 i would love to have at least one milled reciver in my collection ..and thanks so much

·
Registered
1 Posts
AK in .45 Win Mag

Vz58,
Did you ever finish the AK in .45 Win Mag? If so did you post pics? Was trying to tell my Dad about this on the phone and wanted to show him.

Thanks!

rbthntr64, I just kept forgetting to post. The lower rails come in the price as does the bottom piece. You will need to shape them with a dremel which is quite easy. To mill the rails in would be much more expensive as the raw stock prices jump when you get that thick.
The first photo is a 45 win mag on a russian type III trunnion, I chose to cut the lightning cut a little different than orig but you can do what you want.
This gun is still needing final contouring/ filing.

Here are some 64 plates before cleaning up.

·
tired of idiots
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
samm it is basically a milled ak receiver that I had to weld up the lightning cuts then mill the mag well out to fit the wide mag.
other then themag well, bolt face and extractor the internals are the same as any ak

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm finally getting ready to start on my m-64 re-weld w/ VZ plates. I just noticed last night that the dustcover on my Rom AK, that I bought from Classic, is a different length than the one for the m-64. I want to make sure before I start that this is not unusual.
I appreciate any comments,
John

101 - 120 of 153 Posts