Gunco Forums banner

How many Bow Hunters do we have here?

• Yes, I Love it!

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • No, but would like to try it

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Who in their right mind would hunt with string and sticks!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This idea was prompted by Cephus.

One time a buddy bet me that I couldn't take a deer from a herd grazing in an open field about 250 yds away. So I start crawling on my belly hiding behind any clump of grass I could find. There wasn't many because cattle also used the field. I'm trying to sneak up on about 20 deer. I would move when they had there heads down and stop when one of them looked. Which was pretty of with 20 of them. About the time I get within 60 yards of them, my so-called buddy(I still like him though) starts blowing on a grunt call. This also later on sparked a conversation about rectal grunt calls.

It took me about 15 minutes to make the first 190 yds and about another 15 to do the last 20 yds. Deer respond well to a grunt call. I notice a small clump of briars about a foot tall 40 yds from a large doe. I crawl head first to the briars and hide behind them. I then turn my feet toward the briars, laid the bow on my chest and drawed my bow. I quickly sat up, took aim and released. The arrow hit center heart and the deer ran 15 yds. I guessed the distance of my shot to be about 45 yds.

Now bowhunting takes alot of practice and I probably couldn't make that shot today because it's been a while since I've shot. But with proper practice to get good, a well placed arrow will kill a deer as fast as any bullet.

I actually like bowhunting more than gun because it's more of a natural experience. In order to get close enough to deer to shoot one with a bow, it's helpful to study trails and food sources. Also rubs and scrapes are good places to set up on. I guess I like bowhunting because it requires more time in the woods and what's wrong with spending more time in nature.

So, with that being said, How many Bowhunters do we have here?

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Preacher said:
So, with that being said, How many Bowhunters do we have here?
Preacher.........do ex-bowshooters count??? I have never owned a compound and I just gave my three recurve bows to my son SouthernPartisan because he asked for them.
Two Target Bows
1. Wilson, Black Widow, X-99
2. Root, Pendelus Supreme

One Hunting Bow
1. Ben Pearson, Take down Model

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
My Dad started bow hunting 2 years and has taken 2 so far. He decided to go with a crossbow instead since he's feeling his age. Still a lot harder than a rifle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Went two years in a row in South Dakota.
Was some of the most enjoyable and relaxed hunts ever.
Only filled my tag the second year with a mule spike but would love to go again.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DorGunR said:
Preacher.........do ex-bowshooters count???
Oh yeah.

Dang you got quite a list, or SP has quite a list of nice bows. They say the Black Widows are wicked bows. I've always used compound. Although the best shot I've ever seen(and also a Preacher) used a recurve with no sites. This guy could shoot aspirin out of the air.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
When I was doing a lot of serious target shooting back in the early to mid '60s I could not shoot more than three arrows at a target 30 yards away because the fourth arrow would strip the fletching from one of the first three. But I shot every weekend at an outdoor range and every Thursday night at an indoor range. I was a member of the "Armed Forces Field Archery Club" on Oahu, Hawaii.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DorGunR said:
...I could not shoot more than three arrows at a target 30 yards away because the fourth arrow would strip the fletching from one of the first three.
Been known to do that a time or two myself. I also bought nocks by the 100.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Preacher said:
Been known to do that a time or two myself. I also bought nocks by the 100.
I kinda figured you had been down that trail also.:)

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I have bow hunted the last two seasons and only had one chance at killing a deer. I was up in my stand about 12-14 feet in the air and about 8am I heard her coming towards me. I didnt wait long enough and put the arrow in the tree next to her. I love to deer hunt and usually only bow hunt to get into the woods early and scout the area before gun season. I admire a great bow hunter.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I used to, seemes I have injured my shoulder, and it is painfull to draw my bow.. I may sell it and my gun stuff..

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
i used to bow hunt a long time ago..don't think the new tree stands would hold up to me standing on em..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Started with a recurve many moons ago. Then used a Pearson Spoiler for several years till a newbie broke the upper limb. Tried to buy a limb but they were out of business. Bought a Martin Jaguar next and am still using it. Nothing like sitting in a tree waiting for day light and seeing all the different critters moving about. Ever hunted Elk in Colorado with a bow. Hard to beat. Just got through eating some deer steak, rice and gravy with some ranch style beans. Heck of a combination. Good hunting, late dove season starts soon!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hey I bow hunt......... and I'm really really bad at it. I keep slingin those arrows though. I hope one day that I'll actually take something with that contraption. I did take the back feathers off of a turkey 2 years ago. Does that count?

·
No Rest For The Wicked
547 Posts
I love to bow hunt. The weather is a lot better than in rifle season. I enjoy just sitting there watching, I don't always have to shoot something. When I was younger, I shot anything that was brown and legal. Now I guess that I have a greater respect for the wildlife and I am more selective. They added a crossbow season here and I have one of those also. I think I shoot better with the compound, then I do the crossbow!

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Matagorda said:
Just got through eating some deer steak, rice and gravy with some ranch style beans.
Deer steak and beans?????? Man one of those is deadly by themselves, but both of them together????? There goes the ozone!!

I would love to try an Elk hunt sometime. I chased a few boars and bears, but never taken any. I'll try anything once.

Don't think I've seen you on here before Matagorda.:welcome: to Gunco.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I need to bow hunt in Maryland. Around here during bow season you're sweating in the stand and fitin skeeters. They'll drive you crazy yet somehow you have to be perfectly still. It can be a challenge sometimes!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thankyou sir, I happened on this site trying to get some knowledge on building the AKs. I've learned a lot. I've bookmarked atleast 20 related sites and places to get parts, with the help from yall. Very appreciated. Oh yea, I still say the deer steak with rice and gravy is hard to beat, gas and all....

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not only was I jerking your chain a little, but I was talking about personal experience. I always eat deer steak and brown beans before going to a football game. I'm always able to clear,.... I mean get seats.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Preacher said:
Not only was I jerking your chain a little, but I was talking about personal experience. I always eat deer steak and brown beans before going to a football game. I'm always able to clear,.... I mean get seats.
That is funny! The deer meat alone gioves me gas. I could not imagine throwing inthe beans to top it off. I love a good seasoned and marinated steak. Have any ya'll tried putting liquid smoke on your steaks?? Man, the taste is the best ever. It simulates the meat being smoked. Try it sometime.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mbadboyz said:
Have any ya'll tried putting liquid smoke on your steaks?? Man, the taste is the best ever. It simulates the meat being smoked. Try it sometime.
Oh Yeah. There's a catalog outfit called the Sausage Maker that has really good liquid smoke. This is real liquid smoke, and not the imitation junk that you buy in the grocery stores. It is super concentrated. I think a tablespoon of smoke will season 5# of meat. A quart bottle is like $13, but it goes a long way.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts