Gunco Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've just about decided to build an AK but have read alot about these FAL's and how easy they are to build. Can someone give some kind of idea what I would be spending if I built one of these beauties? Maybe a price breakdown on what I would have to buy and how much it would cost?

·
Registered
5 Posts
$225 kit
$200 receiver
$125 Compliance parts

$550 total for the parts, which is of course, approximate. Shipping/transfer fees are not included since it is a ballpark estimate.

Tool cost varies widely, depending on how low budget you want to go, and how handy you are. The advantage of tool cost is that they can be spread over several builds or sold when you are done, driving the average cost down.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
Well, I've just about decided to build an AK but have read alot about these FAL's and how easy they are to build. Can someone give some kind of idea what I would be spending if I built one of these beauties? Maybe a price breakdown on what I would have to buy and how much it would cost?
I'm just a couple of days ahead of you. There is also the cost of the tools.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
I'm just a couple of days ahead of you. There is also the cost of the tools, I place a minimun at $150.00

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So were looking at 550 for the gun plus around 150 for the tools...and what can I get a similar one for new? The reason I'm wanting to build and AK or a FAL isn't necessarily to do it cheaper. I'd just like to say that I can do it. Sounds like it will probably be quite a bit cheaper to build an AK but harder. The FAL is more expensive but I don't have one. Would it be smarter to start my building career off with a FAL then move up to an AK. I feel like I am pretty mechanically inclined. I am working on finishing my M.E. degree now. Or would an AK be a good start too?

·
Registered
62 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
So were looking at 550 for the gun plus around 150 for the tools...and what can I get a similar one for new? The reason I'm wanting to build and AK or a FAL isn't necessarily to do it cheaper. I'd just like to say that I can do it. Sounds like it will probably be quite a bit cheaper to build an AK but harder. The FAL is more expensive but I don't have one. Would it be smarter to start my building career off with a FAL then move up to an AK. I feel like I am pretty mechanically inclined. I am working on finishing my M.E. degree now. Or would an AK be a good start too?
That $150 worth of tools can probably be sold for $125 when you're done. Think of it as a rental fee.

·
Registered
41 Posts
shortround said:
That $150 worth of tools can probably be sold for $125 when you're done. Think of it as a rental fee.
My brother has built a boatload of FALs. The first 6 he did with common hand tools that he had lying around. For the receiver, he made some vise jaws from aluminum and clamped the receiver in the vise after inserting the bolt carrier. He used a 26mm open end wrench on the barrel flats. He used the two rods method for perfect barrel timing. Since he bought the mill, he has made his own receiver wrench, but you really don't need one unless you are building multiples.

He has built on just about every type of FAL receiver made in the last 10 years. For a first timer, he recommends a quality receiver like Imbel, DSA, or Coonan. The cheap ones like Century and Hesse can make good rifles, but they can be problematic. He thinks the FAL is the simplest MBR to build.

See if there are some local hobbyists that will give you a hand. You can build much cheaper if you shop around and trade. My brother's truck gun was built on a used Hesse stainless receiver that he got for $100 (the Hesse stainless receivers are actually quite good). He bought "grab bag" parts off of eBay and the FAL Files for a kit, and he bought compliance parts from TAPCO on sale. All in all, he figures he only has $325 in the gun, but it took him about 10 months just to get the parts to build, because he was shopping price.

Here is how it turned out after he refinished it:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very very nice! Where would you or your brother recommend a nice but reasonable price for a parts kit?

·
Registered
41 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
Very very nice! Where would you or your brother recommend a nice but reasonable price for a parts kit?
There is a rumor that there are 38K kits coming in from Austrailia. If this is true, kits should be relatively cheap, maybe even in the $125 range. Keep an eye out and watch for them. The first 3 months, prices will be high, but as the competition gets heated up, they will drop. When the Brazilian kits first came in, they were $200. By the time they got distributed they were selling for about half that.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Sheik Yerbouti said:
There is a rumor that there are 38K kits coming in from Austrailia. If this is true, kits should be relatively cheap, maybe even in the $125 range. Keep an eye out and watch for them. The first 3 months, prices will be high, but as the competition gets heated up, they will drop. When the Brazilian kits first came in, they were $200. By the time they got distributed they were selling for about half that.
That rumor has increased 10k fold since yesterday. :headspin:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sheik Yerbouti said:
So when are these kits coming in? I am sure interested in building one of these babies! Can anyone point me to a parts kit they know of now?

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
With the FAL receivers, don't cheap out on the purchase! If you shop around, you can find decent prices from some dealers on receivers.

The Century receivers require a fair amount of fitting to make a reliable rifle. There tends to be problems with tight magwells due to sagging of the casting during manufacture. The bolt rails usually require some tweaking to eliminate bolt hang during cycling. There are also issues with the feed ramp area that can cause fail-to-feed or accuracy problems (due to bullet getting banged up on way into chamber). The Century receivers can be made to work, but require more hands on than a first-time-FALer may be ready for. If you already have some decent gunsmithing skills and don't mind handfitting the parts, the Century is acceptable.

The Imbel receivers are generally well produced. These require little, if any, handfitting and tweaking. And you get that cool Imbel logo. The downside is that the Imbel receivers are imported and don't count towards 922(r).

The DSA receivers are about the best you can get. You WILL pay for this too! The DSA price is about twice what other receivers cost. The advantage is that the DSA receivers are EDM'ed from a block of ordnance steel. This results in a VERY nice end product. I HIGHLY recommend the DSA, but the cost is prohibitive for a lot of builders.

Dan Coonan receivers have a pretty good reputation and have an easily swallowed purchase price.

For trigger groups, the FSE would be my recommendation. The Century trigger group pretty much REQUIRES handfitting and is not really something I would want to screw up. I know it's gunsmithing, but virtually drop-in functional parts versus scrapped parts/screaming/doubling or full auto because sear is wrong is a no-brainer. The FSE might require minor tweaking, but nothing like the Century set.

Furniture is an issue for some manufacturers. Some folks on FALFiles have complained about Penguin sets melting or softening after extended firing sessions. This allegedly happened with the cheap sets, so the more expensive sets might be okay. I'm going to go with Ironwood furniture now. It ain't cheap, but it is damn purty!

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/

Since you are working on your M.E. degree, we will assume that you can beg/borrow/steal/bribe your way to mill access. With a mill (or even large drill press and files) you can make your own barrel and receiver wrenches. Gunthings.com has drawings for the tooling:

http://www.gunthings.com/wrench.htm

http://www.gunthings.com/vise.htm

Gunthings had FAL kits for sale for a while, but they are apparently sold out. You might check on FALFiles sale boards for kits, but I imagine they won't be cheap.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php

There are a few FAL kits left on eBay but the descriptions are screwy. They are described as L1A1, but actually look to be metric parts kits... There are currently 3 auctions for parts kits, but they end on June 14 at 20:30:00 PST!

Assembling a FAL is pretty easy... Install and tighten barrel (don't forget handguard ring), check headspace, select proper locking shoulder for headspace and press into receiver, assemble other parts to rifle. It's a little more complicated than that, but those are the basic steps.

Bandit has a decent site with a step-by-step build of a FAL carbine:

http://www.wecsog.org/fal/

(See Bandit, I remembered this time!)

And here's another site with decent info:

http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-April01-background.html

Another option would be to have a shop do the barrel and headspace for you. I had Todd at Ohio Rapid Fire do mine and it's great. Once you see how EASY it is with the proper tools, you'll want to build a set of your own.

A FAL is an easy build and can give VERY satisfying results. That .308 flies forever and knocks the hell out of whatever it hits. Besides the "UMMPHH" factor, the FAL has b-i-t-c-h-i-n' cool looks.

OKAY, who put the profanity filter on this site???? I had to respell b-i-t-c-h-i-n' to get it to display as something other than *****'in

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.