Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was 72 yo last September. I'm retired from the army and Boeing Space Systems Division. I'm still working as a property appraiser, got to appraise two houses today, both in different counties which means I'll put about 90 miles on the car today. But at least it keeps me out of the pool halls and off the street corners.:)

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I'm 27 (28 in Jan) I'm the Records Manager for a local county gov't. We handle all the records for the county--housing them, filming & imaging, and destruction. I also go to school at night for an Associates in Networking and Computer programming. I will graduate after the fall semester and soon start back for a Bachelor's in Business Management. :thumbup1: In my not so spare time I go camping and fishing with my parents :)

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I also retired from the Army. I own a small business reselling and also making parts for cabinets and also deal in firearms. I'm 62, but my wife says I act like I'm 12. :D

I love to kayak, fish, camp, ride ATVs, work with wood, and of course anything to do with guns.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
United States Army Airborne Ranger 33 yrs old and I work for the City of Kennesaw, Georgia Parks and Recreation.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am 32 years old and I am a Master Auto Tech at a Toyota Dealer.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Pogo, you are one of those guys who don't look their age.....Unless the pictures you have shown are old...lol

53, Real Estate Broker, owner manager of a small real estate company.

·
Troubles shot. 5 cents.
850 Posts
I'm halfway to 102, served in the USMC in the early 70s as a Small Arms Repairman (2111), went Reserve in 1974 and got a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering and a minor in Bidness Administration in 1978, spent a little over 20 years in Corporate America.

For the past six years I've been on my own doing free-lance industrial control design and custom programming of Programmable Logic Controllers for a number of small manufacturing businesses that can't afford their own Electrical/Instrument engineer.

And I'm a self-described internet firearms message board know-it-all. ;)

Noah

·
Troubles shot. 5 cents.
850 Posts
DorGunR said:
I was 72 yo last September.
Funny, you don't type like you're 72. I would have guessed 55-57.

More power to ya, DorGunR.

Noah

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm 35, and a licensed Master Electrician by trade, work in a food manufacturing plant, and do all sorts of mechanical/electrical maintenance work, from troubleshooting electrical/control systems to light fab. I also build AKs, guitars, and a mean batch of yankee chili now and then, all for nonprofit.
Dorgunr... I also did a short stint with Boeing in Alaska as part of a missile defense systems project (Fort Greeley)

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
aviator said:
Pogo, you are one of those guys who don't look their age.....Unless the pictures you have shown are old...lol

53, Real Estate Broker, owner manager of a small real estate company.
A lot of people say that. I still work out a lot, don't drink much, and quit smoking years ago. I guess the military forced me to keep active, and helped me stay healthy.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
'Senior citizen' is a euphemism that just doesn't fit
By William Ecenbarger
LANCASTER, PA. - It's bearing down on me at the rate of 3,600 seconds per hour - that most important tear of Americans' calendrical page, that magic moment when my odometer hits 65.

To be sure, it's a nonevent, a figment of the imagination, less than a blip in a wink, a snowstorm in a glass paperweight, future schlock, right up there with crystal balls, tea leaves, and goat innards as an indication of anything.

But call me old if you wish. Just don't call me golden-ager, oldster, coot, curmudgeon, geezer, fogy, old-timer, prime-timer, retired person, mature American, seasoned citizen, silver fox, young at heart, chronologically gifted.... And please, please, don't call me senior citizen.

Unfortunately, I've already been called senior citizen for a number of years - usually not directly, but either by default (as when Amtrak automatically gives me a reduced fare) or subtly (as when the clerk behind the hotel desk asks if I "qualify for any discounts").

What's wrong with "senior citizen"?

For starters, it's a condescending, demeaning, patronizing euphemism. It is the latest incarnation in the age-old struggle to find a term for old that is linguistically, ethically, and most of all, politically correct. The problem with all euphemisms is that they have a short shelf life. The pejoratives "fogy" and "gaffer" were once words of respect, but they long ago lost their euphemistic sheen.

The other thing that's wrong with "senior citizen" is that it speaks of a homogeneity that does not exist. Indeed, the longer one lives, the more experiences one has and the more diverse one becomes. But "senior citizen" connotes shuffleboard and pinochle, rocking chairs and golf carts, frailty and dependency. There are far too many 70-year-old hang gliders, computer whizzes, and marathoners for the stereotype to have any validity at all.

I blame a lot of this on vote-hungry office-seekers and officeholders slobbering over "our senior citizens" in the belief that it is somehow bad politics to call old people old.

In my own state of Pennsylvania, the state government has, for the past three decades, duped its citizens of all ages into the world's biggest sucker bet, the State Lottery.

This invasion of what was once the exclusive turf of small-bore racketeers is cloaked in altruism. We are reminded at each night's drawing that "Lottery proceeds benefit senior citizens."

To drive the point home, the winning numbers are picked in the presence of a "senior citizen witness," who usually stands by gratefully, uselessly, and cluelessly in mute affirmation of the stereotype.

Substantiated statements that old Americans tend to vote more often than young ones ("the youngerly"?) are often followed by unsubstantiated statements about the "powerful senior citizen voting bloc."

And thus, this flawed logic goes, for any politician Social Security is the "third rail of politics."

Here, another stereotype emerges - senior citizens are greedy ninnies who will do anything to protect their monthly benefit checks. Personally, I would be interested in hearing from the candidate who says that Social Security ought to be need-based rather than an entitlement. There are many, many others like me.

Why this muddled nomenclature over how to distinguish those beyond a certain age from the rest of the society? Why must we have such a term at all? What's wrong with old?

Psychologist James Hillman points out that not only is old ("eald") one of the 50 most frequently appearing words in old English manuscripts, it nearly always is used positively and implies trustworthiness, value, and character.

Junior Citizens, hear me out! The American Heritage Book of English Usage traces the coinage of "senior citizen" back to a 1938 article in Time magazine. That makes it 66 years old. Time to retire it.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
us army, '75-'96, now, i work at at a gm dealership, parts dept. oh yea, 47.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
52, full time small business owner, part time body double for Brad Pitt.
The producers wanted someone better equipped to fill in for him during the nude scenes.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
33, Contractor, a little bit of everything. Licensed Master Electrician, HVAC, Sheet Metal Fabricator, Roofing, Siding, Carpentry, Residential & Multifamily dwellings, Masonry, and lately have been specializing in Copper guttering systems. Don't do much commercial stuff, although qualified to do so. Also a do-it-yourselfer auto-mechanic. I don't think I left anything out!

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
35 going on 90 at the moment until I get some sleep.

I've done almost every job under the sun untill I finally got into IT some years ago.

I've repaired boats, landscaped, went to school to be an electrician, been a maintenance man, worked with a remodeler, cooked, worked in a grocery store, painted houses, installed cabling for business networks, and others.

For the last 9 years I've worked on PC's, telephone systems, and networks.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up but I'd better hurry up because I am 53.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Turned 40 this past June, after highschool I surfed beaches up and down the east coast. Decided that it was about time to get a job at about 27.:D
After Hurricane Hugo hit Chas I became an Electrical Apprentice (Industrial). After turning out I hooked up w/General Electric as a Indust. Control Electrician traveling the S.E. doing retrofits and new builds of mill's, chem, and power plants. Within 7yrs I worked my way up to Supervisor/Environmental Health and Safety Rep.

When I saw that my daughter wasn't being taken care of properly by her,,, Ahhem Mother, I walked into G.E's office and stepped down from my position and lifelong career. I then proceded the divource and to fight for and get full custody of my little girl! During this time I was brought into the Robert Bosch Corp. to fab and wire all devices and contols (ie, Allen-Bradley,Bosch,Omron,Siemens PLC's)on new Robot's to be shipped and used to Bosches around the world.

Looking for more flexable hours for a single Dad, I interviewed and took an Electrical position w/our County Government in Facilities Management. Even though I had to swallow a $7.00 an hour paycut, I just can't beat being able to go to parent/child lunches, PTA meetings, and school plays!

Just think, in the past year I've gone from building Robots to diagnosing bad breakers and faulty ballast. And I'm not able to use 1/16th of what I know!
My daughter's happy though, and thats all that matter's!;)

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Way to go Stinger, you put your daughter before the dollar. You desrve a Big pat on the back!

1 - 20 of 109 Posts