Gunco Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Arsenal has both started installing spring-loaded firing pin bolts in its rifles and has decided to concentrate on stamped receivers, I know I'll never be able to get an SA M7 with both a scope rail and a free-floating firing pin.

Since you can't really switch bolts between rifles without checking headspace, does anyone know how to attach the side scope rail mount to the receiver?

I know I'll have to drill the receiver, but does anyone have a surefire way for attaching the rivets? The flat side of the rivets is on the outside of the receiver, and the middle rivet is recessed pretty far into its hole's bevel. Plus, whatever tool used will have to be able to reach into the hollow of the receiver.

Anybody have any experience with this?

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Rivet squeezer? Or use a hammer/punch with some sort of buck to shim from the inside.

Wouldn't you want flat-head rivets, or file down button-head rivets? That way there is adequate clearance on the inside.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Zoid, just curious why you look at spring loaded firing pins as a negative thing? I remember when the Galils 1st came into the country they had free floating firing pins and they came with a warning to only use them with military(hard primers)ammo. They later retro fitted most of them so they could be used with commercial ammo. I guess if you never use commercial ammo you don't have to be concerned with slamfires? I asked on the other bd about firing pin springs and AK builds and no one responded. Sorry for going off topic.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grendeljaeger said:
Zoid, just curious why you look at spring loaded firing pins as a negative thing? I remember when the Galils 1st came into the country they had free floating firing pins and they came with a warning to only use them with military(hard primers)ammo. They later retro fitted most of them so they could be used with commercial ammo. I guess if you never use commercial ammo you don't have to be concerned with slamfires? I asked on the other bd about firing pin springs and AK builds and no one responded. Sorry for going off topic.
I don't see anything negative in them! I just want a mixture of both in my collection and I don't have a rifle that has both a free-floated firing pin AND a scope rail.

I actually think the Arsenal SLFP looks stronger than the original, and the spring is a robust multi-stranded wire as well. I actually am not a bit afraid to shoot this rifle. That SLFP is not going to break any time soon!

I was just looking to have a variety...

Yes, the reason for the SLFP is to avoid slamfires. U.S.-made Boxer-primed ammo is more prone to this than ammo with hard military primers. The theory behind the SLFP is that if the gun-grabbers ever ban foreign-made ammo, a lot of rifles out there will be too dangerous to shoot with American ammo due to the slamfire danger.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Slam fires were reportedly why the NDM-86's had the factory recall, according to dragunov.net. They were/are retrofitted with spring-loaded firing pins.

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to fabricate this... hrm another milling project!

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
ZOID ZODIAN said:
I don't see anything negative in them! I just want a mixture of both in my collection and I don't have a rifle that has both a free-floated firing pin AND a scope rail.
Thanks Zoid, I was starting to worry that there was something bad about them that I hadn't heard about. I bought 5 Chinese SLFP (without springs)from Tapco a few months back just in case.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grendeljaeger said:
Thanks Zoid, I was starting to worry that there was something bad about them that I hadn't heard about. I bought 5 Chinese SLFP (without springs)from Tapco a few months back just in case.
Watch Tapco's firing pins! I did the same thing and they turned out to be for the .223 Chinese AK, NOT the 7.62x39 like I wanted. It's hard to tell the difference unless you put them side-by-side; suffice it to say that the "pill" at the rear of the firing pin is larger for the 7.62x39 pin.

The 7.62x39 firing pin rear dome should be about the size of an aspirin; the one for the .223 will be smaller by about half.

(Sorry, for continuing to rain on your parade; some of us are warmth and sunshine, others are rain and dark clouds. :) )

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Winn R said:
Max--I've used this method however I'd advise the rear slot. The scope never comes out close to being centered. Of course, never do I.
What do you mean?

The MPK mount, for example, comes just as two flat plates with the groove down the center; the one in your photo has horizontal grooves on the mounting plates. Are you saying that unless your rear slot is grooved you can't get your scope centered?

Could you explain what your answer meant? :)

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Zoid -let's see if I can get on the same page.

When I installed the scope mount parallel with the upper edge of the receiver, the amount of vertical adjustment required in the scope was at the Outer Limits on one and wouldn't even make it on another.

I ended out leaving the center hole through the receiver and opening the forward and rear holes vertically with a round file. The scope was fastened on the mount, adjusted vertically by moving the mount, and the fasteners tightened down. Lock tight was put on them one at a time.

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Winn R said:
Zoid -let's see if I can get on the same page.

When I installed the scope mount parallel with the upper edge of the receiver, the amount of vertical adjustment required in the scope was at the Outer Limits on one and wouldn't even make it on another.

I ended out leaving the center hole through the receiver and opening the forward and rear holes vertically with a round file. The scope was fastened on the mount, adjusted vertically by moving the mount, and the fasteners tightened down. Lock tight was put on them one at a time.

Okay, I see what you mean now. I've never heard of anyone having this problem in reality before now, but the Robinson Armaments website does recommend their scope mount to compensate for just this problem.

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
ZOID ZODIAN said:
Okay, I see what you mean now. I've never heard of anyone having this problem in reality before now, but the Robinson Armaments website does recommend their scope mount to compensate for just this problem.
Setting up a mill to finish the Romak scope rail-- the thought occurs that the reason they are unfinished is so that the rail can be milled parallel to the upper edge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts